How do theists explain races?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2010, 03:38 PM
How do theists explain races?
I know that the Mormon view of black people is that they were neutral in a war in heaven so they were "curses with dark skin" or some shit like that, but I'm not sure how other theists explain it.

Anyone enlighten me?

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 03:47 PM
RE: How do theists explain races?
The genetic difference that creates races is so miniscule that people are just as likely to be a close genetic match to someone of a different race as they would be to someone in their own ethnic group.

This statement doesn't answer your question. I placed it here as a reference for people reading future posts. The reason is to accent the rediculousness of the ideas of some religions.
Find all posts by this user
18-09-2010, 03:58 PM
It doesn't answer much as is quite an empty observation, but as so many people avoid studying race because they are scared of being called racists (didn't that guy who suggested that Orientals were a parallel evolution to humans that split 3 million years ago get lynched?) I suppose it is the only thing people can really say.

But still, a lion and a tiger are about the same as two races of human, but they can't make fertile young as humans are pretty much all compatible (though I heard that native australians have a hard time with interracial mating?)

But I see why you posted it anyway.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
18-09-2010, 04:13 PM
If you can make fertile offspring without intervention, I believe that this means you are of the same race. There is a youtube video that is good at helping one understand the process of making offspring more difficult through evolution, but I don't remember its title. (Can someone post it if they find it?). Australian aboriginals have been seperated long enough for part of this process to occur, but not all of it. Re-integrating them into the mainstream will cause some reversal of this process, how much, I don't know, but it will prevent the process fom taking them farther away reproductively.
18-09-2010, 05:06 PM

It has been proven that two Africans living in the area where humans originated are likely to be more genetically diverse than 2 people of different races from different parts of the world....

And, if you no longer can mate and produce fertile offspring with another human, you are no longer a homo sapien. You are an entirely different species. I don't think Australian aboriginals are completely different species of people. That would be earth-shattering and also a potentially fatal blow to theism (although you'd never get them to admit it).
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Well when me and my organization find a way to make dolphin language understandable I guess that would kill lots of theism even if human science doesn't xD Still. You heard the catholics "We will baptize any aliens that NASA finds in the future" I think thats a doomed blow.

18-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Generally, they don't. When they do attempt to explain it, it is often a springboard for rampant racism (see the "curse of Ham" interpretations out there for some racist ideas about African-Americans).

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
18-09-2010, 06:15 PM

(18-09-2010 03:38 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I know that the Mormon view of black people is that they were neutral in a war in heaven so they were "curses with dark skin" or some shit like that, but I'm not sure how other theists explain it.

Anyone enlighten me?

The story I was fed from my friend's parents as a child was that when God destroyed the tower of Babel and forced men to speak in different tongues, they went their separate ways.

That was their explanation for the different races. 2,000 years of living separate. Of course, that would make racial differences to be cases of micro evolution, and they are creationists. I never bothered asking them how they justified that.
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey.

Race is a fiction of science. It's bad Darwinism. It has no value.

Like Truth Addict said, there is more genetic diversity within "races" than between them. Also, there is only one Homo species left on Earth. Sapiens. Lions and Tigers are different species. Blacks and whites are not. The aboriginal thing (and all race for that matter) is simple genetic drift. Gene flow will counter it in a second.

I don't think the old religions had to deal with race because the sort of multicultural mingling we're used to today just didn't exist. They didn't have the transportation and communication technology for it. Also, generally speaking, racism is a product of bad genetic theory and nationalism, neither of which had any meaning 2 000 years ago.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
18-09-2010, 10:48 PM
(18-09-2010 09:59 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Race is a fiction of science.

Huh

Quote:Like Truth Addict said, there is more genetic diversity within "races" than between them.

Does this mean that races don't exist?

Quote:Also, there is only one Homo species left on Earth. Sapiens. Lions and Tigers are different species. Blacks and whites are not.

No one said they were. What are you talking about?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett