How do theists explain races?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2010, 07:17 AM
RE: How do theists explain races?
Quote:sure sounds like a fine fellow to me!

time for one of the requisite George Carlin quotes:

"Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll go to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ."

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 02:05 PM
BBC: "Races are a myth" "All cultures are equal" "Only bigots dislike Islam" ect ect

I'm not being funny but it's like holding up an raw egg and saying "This is an apple so enjoy it"

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-09-2010, 08:17 PM
When I was at university many years ago, our Field Biology prof explained races by using fish as an example (he was an icthyologist). He said that there was a lake (perhaps an oxbow lake) that had a species of fish (perhaps a type of crappie). Over the years silt caused a division in the lake so that it became two lakes. Many many many years later (don't remember how many, maybe hundreds or a thousand) differences in the food availability and the positioning of the lake in regards to available sunlight, dissolved oxygen (in the water) etc caused changes in the fish population that made them a different "race". They were still the same species of fish in the other lake, they just had slightly different physical characteristics that enabled them to get along in their "new" environment better.
22-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Hey, Cetaceaphile.

I still don't understand what BBC science is. Like, I guess I'm asking for some sort of definition.

That being said, I would respond to those statements like this:
-There is no scientific basis for the idea of race
-All cultures are valid
-Disliking a group other than your own is the definition of bigotry, so yes, only bigots dislike Islam

I don't think anyone is saying that race is some other concept so understand it as such. What I and I think others are saying, is that race is an idea with absolutely no basis in fact. Demonstrably so. It's as meaningless as ideas like women are inferior to men, or blacks couldn't possibly be fighter pilots because the blood vessels in their brain are smaller, or criminals tend to have beady eyes. All of these ideas exist(ed), they all made perfect sense to people for a very long time, but they're all baseless.

Hey, catdance62.

Right. That's just genetic drift at work. On a long enough time-line speciation would occur. But before that occurs, we'll see minute and I mean minute, differences in the representation of certain genes in each group's gene pool. But if those two groups were ever able to procreate with one another again, their genes would flow across that former divide right back into each others pools, eliminating the drift that had occurred. But this sort of drift is so insignificant that it doesn't deserve any taxonomic differentiation. This is the case with humans too. 100% of the humans on this planet are Homo sapiens sapiens.

Hey, 2buckchuck.

Quote:Bingo!! Racism is meaningless idiocy, so it has a place in some religions, naturally.

Does not compute <head explodes>

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:-All cultures are valid

Why? Says who? Why do we have to honor all cultures equally?

I agree that we are all one race, but the idea that we all live our lives equally is, to me, absurd. I find nothing valid about a radical Islamic culture that believes women are property. I find nothing valid about a evangelical Christian culture that teaches gays, and everyone else who doesn't believe exactly as they do, are going to hell and must either be saved or destroyed. Was the Catholic culture that lead to 1,000 year Inquisition valid?

Quote:-Disliking a group other than your own is the definition of bigotry, so yes, only bigots dislike Islam

No, disliking a group other than your own based on perceptions and not facts is the definition of bigotry. Disliking a group other than your own for specific reasons based on actual events is not bigotry. Obviously when you define a group in the most sweeping terms (i.e. Muslims, Jews, etc.) it is tough to argue that bigotry is not in play but the simple act of disliking a group is not, in and of itself, bigotry.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey, BnW.

I've responded to you in this thread. I felt to respond to you here would lead to my hijacking this thread.

To everyone else, I hope that this conversation about race can continue. I am enjoying it.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Hi Cetaceaphile,

Full disclosure, I am a theist. In fact I am a Bible-believing Christian. I am fairly certain the biblical explanation for races is that prior to the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11, all people lived in the same geographic area. After God confused people's languages people became nomadic and scattered to all corners of the earth. Those going to warmer areas developed more melanin and those going to colder areas developed less. Basically, survival of the fittest did its thing.

Thanks.

Barley
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2010, 02:46 PM

(22-09-2010 02:40 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Hi Cetaceaphile,

Full disclosure, I am a theist. In fact I am a Bible-believing Christian. I am fairly certain the biblical explanation for races is that prior to the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11, all people lived in the same geographic area. After God confused people's languages people became nomadic and scattered to all corners of the earth. Those going to warmer areas developed more melanin and those going to colder areas developed less. Basically, survival of the fittest did its thing.

Thanks.

Barley

Welcome back Barley! I'm glad you returned Big Grin

So....

You are basically affirming evolution (at least on a micro level)...

You don't find this as contradicting to Biblical belief at all? And what evidence do you have that the Tower of Babel existed? The closest structure that people claim to be it is the Zyggurat of Babylon, which had a square base and not a round one, and was only 91 m in height...
22-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:Welcome back Barley! I'm glad you returned Big Grin

So....

You are basically affirming evolution (at least on a micro level)...

You don't find this as contradicting to Biblical belief at all? And what evidence do you have that the Tower of Babel existed? The closest structure that people claim to be it is the Zyggurat of Babylon, which had a square base and not a round one, and was only 91 m in height...

Hi Truth,

Thank you. I am back but will not be able to post very much as I am still very busy. But to answer your question, "survival of the fittest" (is that the same as "micro-" evolution?), does not conflict with my beliefs. I do not believe in evolution in the sense that we all came from ape-like ancestors, and before that a single cell organism from pre-eminent goop. But yes, organisms can adapt to their surroundings, and some (for lack of a better word) "breeds" do better than others in certain environments (i.e., a husky can survive in Alaska in the winter but a greyhound...not so much).

About the Tower, I do not have any proof that it existed other than it is written in the Bible, and I believe the Bible. I wasn't there, but neither was anyone on this board Smile, so I think we can agree to disagree there. I choose to believe what is written, and others choose not to. Sorry I can't prove it to you using any other means!

Barley
22-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Extremist liberalism?

Does not compute at all *nuclear head explosion*

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.