How do theists explain races?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2010, 11:14 PM
RE: How do theists explain races?
(23-09-2010 02:55 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Correction ... according to NASA

Quote:As of August 2009, Voyager 1 was over 16.5 terameters (16.5 × 10^12 meters, or 16.5 × 10^9 km, 110.7 AU, or 10.2 billion miles) from the Sun

I knew my guess was way under, but it is drastically more way under than I had thought. I guess a 10.2 billion mile high tower would have been a cinch for the ancient Babalonians to build. After all, god thought they could do it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 01:53 AM

(23-09-2010 11:14 PM)No J. Wrote:  I knew my guess was way under, but it is drastically more way under than I had thought. I guess a 10.2 billion mile high tower would have been a cinch for the ancient Babalonians to build. After all, god thought they could do it.
I really like this argument ... never thought about it. Why would there be a need to interfere with the Babylonians? Their failure would be a foregone conclusion. Perhaps god was just pissed off because they were trying? Obviously, pissing god off used to be pretty dangerous. Maybe he's mellowing as he ages?
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 07:15 AM

(24-09-2010 01:53 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  
(23-09-2010 11:14 PM)No J. Wrote:  I knew my guess was way under, but it is drastically more way under than I had thought. I guess a 10.2 billion mile high tower would have been a cinch for the ancient Babalonians to build. After all, god thought they could do it.
I really like this argument ... never thought about it. Why would there be a need to interfere with the Babylonians? Their failure would be a foregone conclusion. Perhaps god was just pissed off because they were trying? Obviously, pissing god off used to be pretty dangerous. Maybe he's mellowing as he ages?

I think that God was not worried that the Tower would reach heaven...it obviously couldn't. What he was worried about was the twisted thinking that they could be as great as or greater than God. The Bible says they wanted to make a name for themselves. They wanted to put themselves "higher" than God in their own minds. If God allowed that to happen, the world today would be mighty different, and in a bad way.

My two cents.
24-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:I think that God was not worried that the Tower would reach heaven...it obviously couldn't. What he was worried about was the twisted thinking that they could be as great as or greater than God. The Bible says they wanted to make a name for themselves. They wanted to put themselves "higher" than God in their own minds. If God allowed that to happen, the world today would be mighty different, and in a bad way.
But how did changing languages and skin colours change their thoughts?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
24-09-2010, 07:55 AM

(24-09-2010 07:36 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:I think that God was not worried that the Tower would reach heaven...it obviously couldn't. What he was worried about was the twisted thinking that they could be as great as or greater than God. The Bible says they wanted to make a name for themselves. They wanted to put themselves "higher" than God in their own minds. If God allowed that to happen, the world today would be mighty different, and in a bad way.

Since all these people could not communicate anymore, they could not live and work together effectively anymore. And if God went ahead and changed the language of each member of your household would your thoughts not change? I think maybe you'd become a believer, no? And you'd also probably stop doing things God doesn't want you to do, no?

And the bible does not say that God changed the color of their skin. That's human biology, which I am not qualified to speak intelligently about.

Thanks for your questions. Please also remember that I am answering from a biblical perspective. of course these thoughts will seem foreign (pun intended, you know, because of babel...) to you Smile
24-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:And if God went ahead and changed the language of each member of your household would your thoughts not change? I think maybe you'd become a believer, no? And you'd also probably stop doing things God doesn't want you to do, no?
If everyone in my household would want to be greater than god and would suddenly start speaking different languages, I do'nt think the thoughts would change unless everyone aknowledges that it's a punishment from god.
Does god tell them that it's a punishment in the babel story? I do'nt remember if he did.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
24-09-2010, 08:37 AM

(24-09-2010 08:26 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:And if God went ahead and changed the language of each member of your household would your thoughts not change? I think maybe you'd become a believer, no? And you'd also probably stop doing things God doesn't want you to do, no?
If everyone in my household would want to be greater than god and would suddenly start speaking different languages, I do'nt think the thoughts would change unless everyone aknowledges that it's a punishment from god.
Does god tell them that it's a punishment in the babel story? I do'nt remember if he did.

I don't know. It's not clear. Sorry,
24-09-2010, 01:05 PM

(24-09-2010 07:55 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  
(24-09-2010 07:36 AM)Kikko Wrote:  

Since all these people could not communicate anymore, they could not live and work together effectively anymore. And if God went ahead and changed the language of each member of your household would your thoughts not change? I think maybe you'd become a believer, no? And you'd also probably stop doing things God doesn't want you to do, no?

And the bible does not say that God changed the color of their skin. That's human biology, which I am not qualified to speak intelligently about.

Thanks for your questions. Please also remember that I am answering from a biblical perspective. of course these thoughts will seem foreign (pun intended, you know, because of babel...) to you Smile

But there's the problem. Things like that don't happen anymore, and nowadays, you'd think God would be a hell of a lot more pissed off at society (acceptance of secularism) than during the Babylonian era (Babylonians weren't even Christians BTW, or even monotheistic....). Of course, your response is that we can't understand how God works, and then we can't really have a discussion at all.

And you mentioned that you accepted adaptations to the environment can change an organism. Do you not then see how this over time can lead to the phenomena of evolution?
24-09-2010, 02:00 PM
This happened a while back in the thread, but I remember Ghost saying that race was nothing but a "myth of eugenics" and "bad Darwinism".

I disagree.

True, the differences are superficial. They have no huge impact on our lives. And (singsong voice) deep down we are all the same...

But despite all this, there are racial differences. They almost never matter, they're nothing but superficial, and they certainly don't form a rational basis for racism, but to deny that they exist is the height of stupidity. Asians have a different build than Americans. Whites have a different skin tone from blacks.

They're not important differences, but they are differences nonetheless.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Plus I'm not being funny but if I had to lift heavy tables for a while and someone said "Do you want the white guy or the black guy?" I'd choose the black guy :O

Now people now could say "You white hater! You think we're weak!" or "You black hater! You expect us to do your jobs!"

Still that raises the other question. Is that really racist at all? Yeah it assumes the black guy would be stronger (which I believe they actually are naturally stronger, like thats a scientific witnessing thing stuff?) but is that a bad thing?
Maybe this rum is getting to my head, but I always though "racism" was like hating a race or something?

Coz like with the army march thing and all the colours are everywhere where I'd have it put into a pattern so it looks tidy and that. I don't think it's racist to arrange people by skin colour for aesthetic reasons.

Like if I had to take a photo with all my friends and the backdrop was dark, I'd ask my darker friends to be up front, otherwise you end up with a headless body and some floating eyes.

Seriously is this racism? Maybe I should shut up? :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.