How do they know?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 12:13 PM
RE: How do they know?
(09-07-2014 11:26 AM)Maribeth Jones Wrote:  Hi. I'm new here. This should be on the Intro thread but I lost it. I'm looking for the older group meeting down the hall? I'm 59. I'm a language teacher and former journalist. I'm not here to judge or convert or subvert. I was led this way this morning. Thanks for your help.

At the bottom right of the page is a "Forum Jump" box. Hit the arrows and a list of all the forums will appear. Select the one you want for a direct jump.

Alternatively, there's a "Search" feature at the top right of the page.

Welcome aboard.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
(09-07-2014 12:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I appreciate all the replies so far. Most have said "the Bible" and maybe that's all there is to it. However, I imagine if I approached for example a priest, minister, or rabbi with this question, they would have a different answer. Maybe oral tradition or prophesy or spiritual revelation? I'm not sure what their answer(s) would be, but that's what I'm looking for.

Yes. The Catholic church (the one I'm most familiar with) claims two sources of dogma: revelation (basically the Bible) and tradition (basically what's been handed down orally through the apostles, who presumably got it from Jesus). Officially, "tradition" stopped when the last apostle died, but that hasn't stopped popes and ecumenical councils from declaring and defining new dogmas (such as the "Immaculate Conception", which is fairly recent, and nowhere to be found in the Bible). And then there's interpretation, which was mentioned by someone else already. The Catholic church will loudly denounce Protestants who interpret the Bible to match their own teachings, but really the Catholics do the same thing.
09-07-2014, 12:24 PM
(09-07-2014 11:26 AM)Maribeth Jones Wrote:  Hi. I'm new here. This should be on the Intro thread but I lost it. I'm looking for the older group meeting down the hall? I'm 59. I'm a language teacher and former journalist. I'm not here to judge or convert or subvert. I was led this way this morning. Thanks for your help.

Welcome. I must have missed your intro.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Also, the Jews have many many volumes of commentary on the Bible (which for them does not include the New Testament, obviously). I forget what they call it (Talmud?), but it carries a lot of weight with them, maybe as much as the Bible itself.
09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
It all depends on how well their day is going.

If they find a tenner on the street, get a pay rise and dodge the traffic on the way home from work... Praise Jebus!

Step in dog shit, lose your job and break down on the way home... God works in mysterious ways/we cannot know the mind of God/Its all part of his plan.

Wankers.

Atheists have a different approach... Shit happens. Drinking Beverage

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
09-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Oral tradition
In the "gap" between the assumed date of Jesus Christ's time on Earth and the writing of the scriptures -- 100 years or so as I recall -- what stories were out there were passed on via storytelling, which was common at the time. Anybody - correct me if I'm wrong.
09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
It happens
Yes, yes it does. Cool
09-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Torah is text Talmud is oral.
Yes, it carries a lot of weight. Whether that is more or less than any other scripture "weighs" to its adherents, well, it doesn't matter.
09-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Maribeth, welcome aboard! Good to have a teacher's perspective. You don't want the older group meeting down the hall. This one's more fun, especially when we have a live human piƱata.
Doc
09-07-2014, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 03:31 PM by CleverUsername.)
They get this stuff either from their heads, or the spoon someone else shoved in their mouth, like every other religion related thing.