How do we convert a Theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 12:53 PM
How do we convert a Theist?
All ideas are welcome.
How can we convince the hard core theist that they are wrong?
What will convince a KC type?

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2012, 01:25 PM
RE: How do we convert a Theist?
You can't; that's why they will debate you until you run out of breath. Hard core theists have their mind already made up, and there is no amount of evidence that will sway them. This is because they will find a way for it to fit into their world view--i.e. reject or assimilate. Only a personal realization has the power to make someone leave the faith of their parents.

By the way, I think "convert" has too much of a religious connotation. I think "deconvert" is better suited for this discussion.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-02-2012, 01:30 PM
(27-02-2012 01:25 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  You can't; that's why they will debate you until you run out of breath. Hard core theists have their mind already made up, ....

Which is my point. Why even listen to them?
They do not deserve the time of day.

(27-02-2012 01:25 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  By the way, I think "convert" has too much of a religious connotation. I think "deconvert" is better suited for this discussion.

Agreed!

27-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Look, dude. We'll leave it up to a democratic vote. If more people want me to leave, I'll leave. No questions asked.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
27-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I detest dealing with people who want to convert me...on anything.

Therefore, I don't set out to convert anyone else.

We either agree or we don't, but I am always willing to listen to the ideas of others as long as they offer me the same courtesy.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
27-02-2012, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 09:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
I can honestly say that in 35 years of atheism I have never even considered how to deconvert someone. Thought just never occurred to me. I mean I have vigorously defended why no, I will not be signing up to a tithe today (usually boils down to "Dude, all your selling is a bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. And that's it. You got nothing else. And it's bullshit."). Guess I just never thought that it was my responsibility to relieve them of their own delusions by burdening them with my own. What the fuck do I care what they believe?

You got some atheist activism thing going on like TrainWreck, Talladega?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2012, 10:02 PM
This may be one approach.
I am just extremely confident that god does not exist. I wear atheism as if it's the only rational position. The religious are asking your question about me. How do they get the atheist to convert?

This is the trap. They seek to engage me in discussion. At first they are fairly solid in their beliefs, or they seem to be. Then they start to fade as the exchanges take their toll on their beliefs. I am not budging from my "there simply is no god position". As you know they have very little to stand on other then blind faith. It’s not hard to take that down given time. You see, once they start to make the argument for why I should believe in a god they have to think about why they believe it. Professional preachers know not to do this. They advise their young evangelist to stay away from the affirmed atheist and to surround themselves with other believers. They have always known this.

I had fun with a religious school graduate (BD) who attended a philosophy class with me. He was the affirmed Christian who was going to stand tall for Jesus. I had several exchanges in class discussions with him, but I didn’t think that I got anywhere with him. I was mainly arguing to influence the other students. I saw him again at a coffee shop six months later and we had a pleasant conversation where he told me that I shaken his faith. He returned to his religious studies as he believed that engaging atheists in philosophy classes was not in his best interest.

I believe the key is calm confidence and a massive amount of facts to back your position is the key to success. There are also the few times when I just ridicule them with sarcasm in the right measure. You have to read the situation and all are unique. Some people need the public humiliation to shake them out of their comfort zone.

In the final analysis, if you are more confident in your beliefs then they are, you will take the day.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
27-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Give them donuts. They'll think they're in church, then you can preach for an hour and they'll feel right at home.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-02-2012, 10:16 PM
(27-02-2012 10:02 PM)Thomas Wrote:  This may be one approach.
I am just extremely confident that god does not exist. ... In the final analysis, if you are more confident in your beliefs then they are, you will take the day.
Jesus Christ, Thomas, one's personal metaphysics ain't based on game theory. Pascal already tried that.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-02-2012, 10:16 PM
(27-02-2012 09:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What the fuck do I care what they believe?

You got some atheist activism thing going on like TrainWreck, Talladega?

You should care because those nutters will use their wacky beliefs to influence your life.
From the president down to your local community. It all has a negative influence.

Yes. I am very active and am getting more so.
Especially the more I see so many people who still (even after 9/11 and the rest) treat religion with kid gloves.