How do we convert a Theist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 09:50 PM
RE: How do we convert a Theist?
The way I think of it is- What did I need to know to start questioning my belief?

This varies from person to person, but ultimately if you can calmly point out the flaws in there faith it should lead them to start questioning it.

Example: When one of my friends lost their job she told me that she was struggling with her faith. I said, "So your faith is based on your economic stability?"

Example: A group of Christians were heckling my Christian friend on drinking casually. I said to him, " If Jesus made wine what gives them the right to guilt trip you like that."

To do it calmly you cant be the one to initiate it, else they will expect aggression or a motive. Just do what moderate Christians do and lightly jab them on how backward their religion is.

I was looking for this forum, because I had an idea on how to convert the crazies(Fundamentalist), you know " There is no such thing as empirical evidence!", and "Science is changing all the time how can we trust it!.".

Why don't we poke them the other way?

I mean by pushing them into more of a fundamentalist thinking. Question why they haven't left there job or family as Jesus had instructed and go and leave a life of spreading the good news! Why haven't you stoned homosexuals? How dare you do work on the sabbath! Hope you haven't masturbated recently Jesus is watching!Angel When I was a Christian my pastor told me that anything you did more then thinking about Jesus was the same as idol worship (I.E T.V, Video games, other hobbies and distractions). I think the fundamentals just need a push (who cares what direction right?).

Falling forward is the same as backward -you look retarded ether way.
I know I did
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 05:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-02-2012 09:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  She's been holding out on me for a really long time.

She's so good at holding out on me, I haven't even met her yet!

ManlyGirl says, "Jesus Christ, why haven't you fuckers just taken up a collection and gotten him laid already? ... Sheesh, men."

(29-02-2012 09:17 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 10:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  Converting me is a whole lot easier than you might think. ...

The proof that God does not exist is presented in one simple phrase.
"It’s obvious that he is not necessary."
Logic is not a path to truth.

(29-02-2012 09:32 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 09:28 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I don't think we should convert anyone.

Agreed. It is up to the individual to discover who they are.

Those are both very nice, Thomas. [Image: images.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
(03-03-2012 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ManlyGirl says, "Jesus Christ, why haven't you fuckers just taken up a collection and gotten him laid already? ... Sheesh, men."

I'm pretty sure he's working a plan right here on this forum - who was the clown who broke down and cried when PMs weren't sending?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
(28-02-2012 10:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  Converting me is a whole lot easier than you might think. All you have to have is one positive argument (that works) that God does not exist. And I don't mean a you-can't-prove-he-exists argument, or a god-isn't-needed argument, I mean a logical argument for his non-existence. I can do that for the Christian concept of God, and that's exactly why I'm not a Christian. My concept of God is this: God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness.

Have at it.

Not to pick on you, Egor, but

Does "monistic entity of fundamental consciousness" really sound like "figment of my own imagination" to anyone else?

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like craniumonempty's post
05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
(29-02-2012 09:32 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 09:28 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I don't think we should convert anyone.

Agreed. It is up to the individual to discover who they are.

Yes, my conversion to atheist is special to me because I made the steps, and I look back fondly on it. If KC does became an atheist, I assume he will want it to be it of his own accord, not ours. It makes the trip more special. Its one thing to nudge, but you need to let them take the steps.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
06-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't think you can deconvert someone who chooses to close their mind to reality, all that happens is that you'll get really really frustrated Tongue (someone said to me that I'm being wholly irrational to think that god had nothing to do with evolution... yep)

Just give them the options and tell them what open-mindedness actually is. Looking at the facts and giving yourself the opportunity to change, not just accepting the supernatural because it's easy. It took a while for me to do it, and I feel a better person for it. I've done justice to myself as a person.

If you still want to deconvert them ... slap them with a fish every time they mention god Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree, provide information about evolution and cosmology, show where there are contradictions in the Bible and how the God of the Bible is not worthy of worship (especially the OT tyrant God), show and tell how morality is not something you sacrifice by being an atheist, and show and tell how "there is not point to your life" myth is such a lie.

These things don't have to be done angrily. But making this type of information available is important. You otherwise can't force anyone to change their mind, they must reach a state of openness on their own.
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I think this whole thread is a bit pointless. You don't "convert" a Theist. You share information. If they beleive the evidence is solid they don't "convert" to anything. They de-convert and end up back at the starting point of Atheism that we all start out as.
[+] 3 users Like Godless's post
06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I think that to convert (or de-convert, it's all the same to me in the end) a theist, there is a very nescessary first step. That step is finding a theist who has a genuine willingness to be converted. Otherwise I truly feel attempting to get someone to abandon their faith for reason is futile.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of this forum is a story of a JW that visited me on several occasions. He has abandoned his religion, and many have credited that to me. Alas, the credit is not entirely mine. Mike called me last night to chat. We discussed his de-conversion at length for the first time since I handed him my copy of The Greatest Show on Earth. He thanked me for guiding him through logical thinking, and for helping him to understand reality, but he didn't thank me for "de-converting" him. That's because I didn't. I simply shared my thoughts with a person who was willing to examine his belief, and willing to change that belief should he be shown it to be false. And that's exactly what happened.

So really, in my opinion, you can't convert a theist. You can only help guide them through the process if and when they are willing to make that choice.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Tell them to read the bible cover to cover or the Koran or whatever religion it is. Id say many would deconvert but many hard core theists, of course will not.