How do we let go and shed our past toxic habits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 11:21 PM
How do we let go and shed our past toxic habits?
I mean.....stuff like....prayer, gping to mass/church....reading the Biblle, etc etc etc.......how can we get all of that toxic and negative b.s./bunk out pf our sustem and out of our mind???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: How do we let go and shed our past toxic habits?
Have you considered genocide?

Global warming is the solution. Cockroaches, viruses and tardigrades have better gods.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Mindfulness, meditation, and constructing a new epistemology for oneself seem pretty appropriate. The first two are interrelated. The third involves asking yourself how you know what you know.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-04-2016, 12:00 AM
(03-04-2016 11:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Have you considered genocide?

Global warming is the solution. Cockroaches, viruses and tardigrades have better gods.

Big Grin

You forgot Cher and Twinkies.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Start reading something else, Bible isn't so cool when you have quality literature to compare. As for church I simply stopped going there. It never was enjoyable so no loss there.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-04-2016, 03:28 AM
(03-04-2016 11:21 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  I mean.....stuff like....prayer, gping to mass/church....reading the Biblle, etc etc etc.......how can we get all of that toxic and negative b.s./bunk out pf our sustem and out of our mind???

A good fucking is quite nice
And should suffice

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-04-2016, 03:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 04:02 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-04-2016 03:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 11:21 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  I mean.....stuff like....prayer, gping to mass/church....reading the Biblle, etc etc etc.......how can we get all of that toxic and negative b.s./bunk out pf our sustem and out of our mind???

A good fucking is quite nice
And should suffice

Failing that, masturbation is a fun, safe, and free alternative.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-04-2016, 04:42 AM
(04-04-2016 03:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 03:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  A good fucking is quite nice
And should suffice

Failing that, masturbation is a fun, safe, and free alternative.

Having experimented extensively fucking beats masturbation hands down.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-04-2016, 06:41 AM
I have to disagree with Szuchow, I think the Bible has quality literature and has many interesting stories--*if* you read them as stories and not as truth. I also find religious writings from past cultures fascinating and am now reading the Vedas. If you learn some history from the past, these stories, this mindset of the culture of the time is all quite fascinating, to me anyway Wink

I think learning about the Bible and educating yourself on it's non-magical qualities helps to squash any desire to pray to God or believe that any of it is actually true. When you see the Bible and the stories for what they are--a manmade invention--it is really hard to continue praying to something you know is not real. It would be like praying to Harry Potter. Your brain automatically shuts the need to pray off once it realizes that this stuff isn't real, at least it did for me. It was just a natural thing, I stopped praying without even realizing it upon educating myself on the Bible and the culture of the time. It was kind of like when I was little and found out there was no Santa Claus. I didn't continue to believe every Christmas that Santa was bringing me toys, I knew it was my parents.

As far as stopping church, I think this can sometimes be more difficult as some people find a sense of community there. I would find an alternative to get that sense of community--such as an atheist church, or joining a sports league, volunteering, or going on a Sunday morning hike with friends.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-04-2016, 07:29 AM
It was very easy for me to stop all of those things because I didn't like them. Maybe it's because I was a preacher's kid, so I had nonstop religion from the day I was born until the day I left home; by then I'd had enough. Going to church: boring, annoying. Praying: boring, annoying when people do it out loud, embarrassing when you are forced to do it out loud. Reading/studying the Bible: not quite as boring, but I had other things I wanted to read as well and the only things I wanted to discuss about the Bible were the ones that would get me thrown out of Sunday school.

I'd suggest replacing the religious activities with secular ones that are similar. Brunch with friends instead of a Sunday service, writing stuff down and making something out of your words and ideas instead of praying, or meditating instead of praying, reading more interesting and relevant books instead of the Bible, etc.