How do you achieve balance when you know the truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 07:51 AM
How do you achieve balance when you know the truth?
I haven't believed in any kind of god since I was about 12, but it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started studying a lot more, over the last few months is when I really started to see the damage that religion does. This has ignited a fire in me where I want to essentially let everyone know that they are being lied to, and I can see how this would consume you as you have many people on the opposite side who's job it is to sell lies.

Since I'm sure many of you have gone through the exact same process that I have, the question that I have is how do you achieve a balance when you know this is a fight that should be fought, but it would obviously be a full time job (with no pay) to do so.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 08:23 AM
RE: How do you achieve balance when you know the truth?
Been there. Still am to some extent. Keep studying, find local groups to get involved in, find on-line forums to interact with, join/donate to FFRF, MAAF, and other groups, be open to talking about your (lack of) belief when it comes up,...

Every little thing you do adds to the fight against irrational beliefs.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-11-2014, 08:23 AM
I went from christian, to spiritualist, to agnostic to atheist, the more I learned the less I believed. I have spent my life learning, I have much to learn yet, as we all do. I freely admit my biggest challenge these days is to neutrally review new information without bias, it is a struggle. Especially after 28 years of research. In my humble opinion, the problem isnt even religion per se, the true problem is faith...because when you ask people why they believe, the answers are surprising...I try to use that as the stepping stone to assist them in slowly learning more about themselves, why they believe, what belief is, opening up the myth for them so that they can do an internal analysis, and hopefully gain the courage to learn more, and believe less. Again, I dont know the answers, I just know that faith, especially for me, is a failed epistemology.

For many years I was of the "I don't believe, live and let live, why would I care what someone else believes" type of outlook. But I feel that religion slithers its way into politics and shapes the laws of this land which affect everyone, it uses fear to brainwash people, and even more despicably, children into believing absolute BS. It is evil to the core, and the ultimate pyramid scheme..money goes up, nothing of value comes down. it preys on the sick, the gullible, the ignorant, the elderly and the uneducated. Its supporters financially and politically use their organized power to block stem cell research that could lead to the curing of deadly diseases, to block a woman's right to abort, to teach creationism in public schools, etc etc..

This is the reason why as an educated intelligent human being it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it. To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. The moderate religious followers who go to church, seek out fellowship, civil community outreach and support of the homeless and poor are great factors of religion, but we don't need religion to have those in society. There are secular organizations that do the same thing...like foundation beyond belief. Just my opinion of course. But this is why i have been self jarred into more assertive action versus religion.

https://foundationbeyondbelief.org/

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2014, 08:49 AM
There is no balance. They are wrong yet they are the louder, more supported voice. To me its a fist fight. If they feel its okay to share and spread their beliefs, and they do, then they should give us the same opportunity, but they don't want us too.

Don't back down.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
(11-11-2014 07:51 AM)microterf Wrote:  Since I'm sure many of you have gone through the exact same process that I have, the question that I have is how do you achieve a balance when you know this is a fight that should be fought, but it would obviously be a full time job (with no pay) to do so.

Your desire to proselytize the truth, is also a religious impulse. Unlike the myth peddled by Christianity and other religion, there's no law of the cosmos that render truth superior to untruth, in fact our very nature was shaped by evolution to be deluded given certain circumstances, to be attracted to myths, and fictions as if they were the real thing. Truth can be like adding a species to an ecosystem not adapted to it, destroying it's very makeup. It can just as well be a pollutant, a disease. To believe otherwise is a matter of faith, rather than reason.

There is no law of the universe, the deems truth to be the cure, anymore so than delusion. As far as the eyes of mother nature are concerned they both can be just as useful, and needed.

You'll likely push on anyways, as the result of the passions from a society once seeped in religious sentiments, but eventually you'll find yourself fatigued, and your passions abated, and you'll become as apathetic as the rest of us.
[+] 3 users Like Tomasia's post
11-11-2014, 11:40 AM
(11-11-2014 11:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 07:51 AM)microterf Wrote:  Since I'm sure many of you have gone through the exact same process that I have, the question that I have is how do you achieve a balance when you know this is a fight that should be fought, but it would obviously be a full time job (with no pay) to do so.

Your desire to proselytize the truth, is also a religious impulse. Unlike the myth peddled by Christianity and other religion, there's no law of the cosmos that render truth superior to untruth, in fact our very nature was shaped by evolution to be deluded given certain circumstances, to be attracted to myths, and fictions as if they were the real thing. Truth can be like adding a species to an ecosystem not adapted to it, destroying it's very makeup. It can just as well be a pollutant, a disease. To believe otherwise is a matter of faith, rather than reason.

There is no law of the universe, the deems truth to be the cure, anymore so than delusion. As far as the eyes of mother nature are concerned they both can be just as useful, and needed.

You'll likely push on anyways, as the result of the passions from a society once seeped in religious sentiments, but eventually you'll find yourself fatigued, and your passions abated, and you'll become as apathetic as the rest of us.

Define a "religious impulse", then prove all your assertions.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Everything in moderation is a good rule to live by, except when it comes to fast cars, hot sex and good food.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-11-2014, 02:13 PM
(11-11-2014 12:06 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Everything in moderation is a good rule to live by, except when it comes to fast cars, hot sex and good food.

Exactly why do we need the first 2 in moderation?? Drooling

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
11-11-2014, 04:35 PM
(11-11-2014 07:51 AM)microterf Wrote:  I haven't believed in any kind of god since I was about 12, but it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started studying a lot more, over the last few months is when I really started to see the damage that religion does. This has ignited a fire in me where I want to essentially let everyone know that they are being lied to, and I can see how this would consume you as you have many people on the opposite side who's job it is to sell lies.

Since I'm sure many of you have gone through the exact same process that I have, the question that I have is how do you achieve a balance when you know this is a fight that should be fought, but it would obviously be a full time job (with no pay) to do so.

I have my rules. I do not engage in religious debates at work, school, or with my in-laws. That provides my balance.

At work - If you do this at work you will quickly find the HR department.

At school - It's been a LONG time since I've been to school (in regards to anything really Smile ) but with the many diverse cultures at school it's best to let them learn from the institution not from you. Now if someone wants to grab a beer after school then there's a forum I find more suitable for religious debate... the bar.

With in-laws - If you are as unlucky as I am you'll want to stay away from the religious topics in regards to in-laws. My in-laws are very religious and the enabler is my wife but I can't blame her. She's not as ballsy as I am and/or willing to be disowned. Besides I respect their right to their opinion even though they're wrong. They know I'm atheist and I know their theists. That is all.

Pretty much anywhere else if you are going to bring up your religious bullshit I will gladly engage in conversation with you. At a football game, at the bar, at the movie theater, in Walmart, at 7-11, at a rock show, at a friends house, at a neighborhood association meeting, etc., wherever it goes down.
[+] 1 user Likes dirtstar's post
11-11-2014, 05:54 PM
(11-11-2014 08:23 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I went from christian, to spiritualist, to agnostic to atheist, the more I learned the less I believed.

Of course I agree with all you wrote, this first part resonated the most, because it mirrored my own path.

I have always maintained people really do need to come to the agnostic/atheist position on their own. It's a path that really doesn't choose you, you have to be in many ways brave enough to walk it.

My thoughts are too muddled to expand on this more, but I didn't become an atheist I wanted to be difficult or hated my religious family or because I felt smug toward believers. I became an atheist because the evidence against a god is overwhelming.

History, anthropology, sociology, psychology have all contributed greatly to my path, but I still had to walk it alone. At times, it's a very lonely path, but this is why I'm grateful to this place.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post