How do you answer this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM

How do you answer this?
So, I've been arguing with many people, and I always get to the point where they say: "God is above our logic, so you can't understand his wisdom" or some other crap. It sounds idiotic, but how do you answer this arguement?

Thanks for the answers! ;o
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
RE: How do you answer this?
You really can't. It's the same cop-out as, "I can't explain it, so god must have done it." It's not really even an argument. It just says that you've made your point clearly enough that the theist with which you are talking can no longer argue his/her side, so they resort to the old, "it's gods will" or some such bullshit.

When I hear one of these comments, I can feel satisfied that I have made my point well enough that it can no longer be argued against with a reasonable mind. Congratulations, you've successfully argued against a theist. Unfortunately, they now resort to this, and any logical debate is now no longer possible.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Translation: "Shut up and stop thinking"

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is above our logic as well. You wonder, "Why spaghetti?" or "How did he create us?". Well, He is all-knowing, and all powerful, there is no hope of truly understanding. Try to point out the idiocy of it all, compare god to anything else. That will probably not work, because sadly that argument tends to denote a sense of blind faith(science is the work of the devil!) and that person has little hope of every growing a brain. Sad, but true.

Stark is right, it tends to be am invincible wall of stupid they save as a last resort. That means that they are done, no point in opening your mouth again. Just hope they aren't egotistical enough to go bragging about they shut an atheist up with their amazing argument.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

My points with theists are like this. Look if you want/need a God then that is fine you have one. There is no way for me to argue against an invisble God that is "beyond my logic" its immposible. However it is my choice to "not" have a God and I wish you would respect that, as I have done for you. My one request for you is this, if you think that your God wrote the Bible please at least read it and study it for YOURSELF and don't take anyone else's word for it as to what it says, or what it means! If you do that and you still feel as you do then I have no issue with you.
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM

I always run them into the ground so hard, all they can say is "You know what, just let me believe what I want to. I live in the US etc... freedom of religion bullshit."

Sure, you can believe what you want to believe, but I don't think your beliefs should be taken seriously by society. You have the right in the US to believe in fascism or the right to believe that we never went to the moon or that Elvis is still alive, but nobody will take you seriously. This is what needs to happen with religion.

Unfortunately, when everyone believes that we never went to the moon, irrational belief becomes legitimized simply by holding the majority.

People seem to apply rationality to all aspects of their life except when it comes to their faith. For example, when discussing Dr. Faustus in our English class, our teacher mentioned that he may or may not have existed, but over time, stories of his powers were exaggerated. In other words, he was a legend. It is a completely reasonable thing to say. However, when I mention that a similar set of circumstances can be found regarding Jesus Christ, I am silenced. It is a completely valid, logical point, but it is shunned by the majority.

Religion is that one taboo that cannot be touched. I can see in the eyes of the person I am debating that he is defeated, yet he cannot abandon his belief. If it was any other subject, he would have turned to my side, having been sufficiently convinced.
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The Atheist Experience came up with a rather good rebuttal to this. Link. Basically they said that if god is beyond comprehension, how can we claim to say anything about god?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Absolutely brilliant! I love Matt and Don...they are easily the two strongest voices on that show.

Martin's not bad, although he seems to struggle at times. Russell's not bad either, but he's not Matt.

Props go to Jen and Tracy as well. Smile
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM

I was going to suggest the same thing as The Atheist Experience, glad to see I had the same approach.

If god is beyond our understanding than no religion can be correct in its claims and is confirming that it is made up.
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

(08-06-2010 09:51 AM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  So, I've been arguing with many people, and I always get to the point where they say: "God is above our logic, so you can't understand his wisdom" or some other crap. It sounds idiotic, but how do you answer this arguement?

Thanks for the answers! ;o

Hi, I get that alot too. When we reach the point where all they can say that god is above logic, I answer them the same answer they give me.

If you are willing to accept that god is above our logic even though you have no proof, then im willing to accept that science is also above our logic with at least more then "some" proof.

I am very friendly so most people laugh when i say it and of course it ends there, as they cant go on arguing when i use their very own answer for my point.
11-06-2010, 12:40 AM

I Bookmarked this thread for future
Regards