RE: How do you choose a religion?
It's the lack of natural predators, man. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Christianity, I choose you!

Christianity used Indoctrinate on Susceptible Child.

It's super-effective!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
20-05-2013, 03:33 PM
This is how:

[Image: Religion_distribution.png]

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Relig...bution.png

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 6 users Like Hafnof's post
22-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:Hi,

I'm new round these parts, I hope this hasn't been done to death.

I don't understand how theists choose their religion, I know most are indoctrinated, but surely these theists contemplate their faith at some point in life, I can just about comprehend that some people believe in a "creator god" but with so many existing religions, how do theists know that the god that they believe in is the true god of that particular religion.

Surely it's more truthful to to believe in a god(if your that way inclined) but not associate with a religion. Because believing in a particular religion is pure guesswork surely?!?!?

No, those are great points you made. I will just add a few comments.

*You wrote "most are indoctrinated". True for most religious, but being a born again Christian means was a sentient person who consciously chose conversion after some type of instruction or education.

*Choosing one religion over another could be guesswork. But it should be educated guesswork involving inductive and deductive logic. For example, knowing what I know about Joseph Smith, I distrust the Book of Mormon's "revelations". Knowing what I know about God, I trust the Bible.
22-05-2013, 05:40 PM
(22-05-2013 12:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Hi,

I'm new round these parts, I hope this hasn't been done to death.

I don't understand how theists choose their religion, I know most are indoctrinated, but surely these theists contemplate their faith at some point in life, I can just about comprehend that some people believe in a "creator god" but with so many existing religions, how do theists know that the god that they believe in is the true god of that particular religion.

Surely it's more truthful to to believe in a god(if your that way inclined) but not associate with a religion. Because believing in a particular religion is pure guesswork surely?!?!?

No, those are great points you made. I will just add a few comments.

*You wrote "most are indoctrinated". True for most religious, but being a born again Christian means was a sentient person who consciously chose conversion after some type of instruction or education.

*Choosing one religion over another could be guesswork. But it should be educated guesswork involving inductive and deductive logic. For example, knowing what I know about Joseph Smith, I distrust the Book of Mormon's "revelations". Knowing what I know about God, I trust the Bible.

Knowing what I know of history, science, ethics, and common sense, I distrust the Bible.

"Born-again Christians" were primarily brought up as Christians in the first place.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-05-2013, 07:12 PM
You don't choose your religion, silly, it chooses you.

Nah, I'm just fucking with you. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-05-2013, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 11:20 AM by tokutter.)
PleaseJesus wrote:

This one is soooooo precious.......this one goes in the file
[+] 1 user Likes tokutter's post
23-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Mom was/is Protestant...dad was Catholic...Catholic trumps Protestant. Mom had to agree that any children would be raised in the Church.

Now, if mom had been Jewish and that follows the maternal side, then I guess Jewish would have trumped Catholic.

Kind of a weird rock, paper, scissors thing that I had no say in.

When I realized that I didn't actually HAVE to be Catholic for-freaking-ever I left.

I wasn't given the choice of what religion to be, but I took the choice of what not to be...any of them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post