How do you deal living in a religion world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 07:52 PM
How do you deal living in a religion world?
I am on facebook every day. I know what you may be thinking - THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. Well, I know that I spend too much time on the internet, it really can't be helped though. I have the option to go back to college for the 4th time and possibly drop out again, or get a minimum wage job and face it's horrors. So yeah, I stay at home on the computer A LOT.

That being said, I see the foolishness, the frustrating political agendas, and social regression of religious people. All the while, I have my entire family who thinks religion is a good thing, while I'm standing there looking at the things people online say, the things my family members say, and the sorts of things happening within the united states that make me pull out my fucking hair.

I have been feeling more mentally stable. Maybe it's eating a half a pound of raw powdered cocao bean every week, maybe it's eating more monounsaturated fat like avocados and olive oil and a completely whole foods diet, or psychologist appointments 2 times a week, as well as over a year off from the stress of school and work which has basically saved my mental state from total destruction and lead to recovery. I don't know. I can say I'm not in peril.

I'm extremely openly atheist to my whole family, that hasn't been a problem. What I see every day though, is the blatant stupidity and ignorance of religious people and politicians through what I hear about and see people saying online all the time. That's not to say my parents have always been particularly welcome of all my atheist ideas, such as wishing that all of religion was destroyed, for which I have been told I have hitler like ideas from my dad.

I'm not depressed yet, I've been pushing that back for a while now, I surprisingly seem to be gaining more mental stability, faced with social anxiety, isolation, being such a different person from everyone else and generally not falling into the socially accepted idea of what most people in this country are. I feel that there's a lot of stuff that's lead to me feeling terrible (school), but I specifically want to talk about how you deal with living in a world that you know is unintelligent and rejecting logic and reason. I see it as mankind's innate stupidity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 08:08 PM
RE: How do you deal living in a religion world?
(12-05-2016 07:52 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I feel that there's a lot of stuff that's lead to me feeling terrible (school), but I specifically want to talk about how you deal with living in a world that you know is unintelligent and rejecting logic and reason.
I've more or less resigned to the fact that this is simply what we are. It doesn't matter if you get rid of religion because it will only be replaced by something else. In Germany for instance, the population isn't nearly as religious as in other countries, yet we still have a lot of people who believe in alternative medicine, astrology and other pseudosciences. I try to avoid other people as much as I can, which is not particularly hard for me since I start working my shift when most people are about to go to sleep.

(12-05-2016 07:52 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I see it as mankind's innate stupidity.
That sounds about right. I think it's fair to say that religion is only one its countless symptoms and that the only currently known treatment is education.

You should probably stop using Facebook, by the way. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
12-05-2016, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 08:34 PM by Mittens Deluxe.)
I was following this page on facebook called natural cures not medicine, which I thought was just a page that was promoting healthy eating. I mean, in a sense I get that there's an epidemic in america which is caused by our lifestyle choices, so in a sense just eating healthy food can be really beneficial and would probably make our whole country way less reliant on pharmaceuticals. That is cool. What's NOT cool, is when they say shit like eating shit loads of maple syrup and honey and cannabis oil and baking soda cures cancer. That to me makes me wonder how many people have died from not seeking actual medical attention. That's when I learned that the page "natural cures not medicine" isn't just promoting a healthy lifestyle (which is good), but is actually a homoepathic medicine page. So I actually unfollowed it today. I did buy some coconut oil to help moisturize my face lol.
12-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Stay out of the Atheism and Theism threads, for example, here as well as in irl. That's just going to distract and annoy you, and you can't really change what the religious believe in general, anyway. I've been there with arguing with the deeply religious. Most are ineducable. If you want a college education, you are going to have to ignore a lot of stupid shit that goes on, to keep your head together, and focus on that education. I worked for a living, supporting a wife while I was in the university. It took me six and a half years to earn a bachelor's degree in Physics, awarded at age 31 (I had several jobs before I served (four years) in the US Navy, and a couple after I got out). The internet is a huge distraction to real life. I see it everywhere, and a lot of people who should be working are using it to entertain themselves, even at work. I refused to do that, and busted my ass for many years, working tons of extra hours and investing my money. I retired at 62. Bottom line is, you have to focus on what you want and learn to ignore the crap that goes on around you, unless it directly affects your goal.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
12-05-2016, 08:35 PM
(12-05-2016 07:52 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I am on facebook every day. I know what you may be thinking - THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. Well, I know that I spend too much time on the internet, it really can't be helped though. I have the option to go back to college for the 4th time and possibly drop out again, or get a minimum wage job and face it's horrors. So yeah, I stay at home on the computer A LOT.

That being said, I see the foolishness, the frustrating political agendas, and social regression of religious people. All the while, I have my entire family who thinks religion is a good thing, while I'm standing there looking at the things people online say, the things my family members say, and the sorts of things happening within the united states that make me pull out my fucking hair.

I have been feeling more mentally stable. Maybe it's eating a half a pound of raw powdered cocao bean every week, maybe it's eating more monounsaturated fat like avocados and olive oil and a completely whole foods diet, or psychologist appointments 2 times a week, as well as over a year off from the stress of school and work which has basically saved my mental state from total destruction and lead to recovery. I don't know. I can say I'm not in peril.

I'm extremely openly atheist to my whole family, that hasn't been a problem. What I see every day though, is the blatant stupidity and ignorance of religious people and politicians through what I hear about and see people saying online all the time. That's not to say my parents have always been particularly welcome of all my atheist ideas, such as wishing that all of religion was destroyed, for which I have been told I have hitler like ideas from my dad.

I'm not depressed yet, I've been pushing that back for a while now, I surprisingly seem to be gaining more mental stability, faced with social anxiety, isolation, being such a different person from everyone else and generally not falling into the socially accepted idea of what most people in this country are. I feel that there's a lot of stuff that's lead to me feeling terrible (school), but I specifically want to talk about how you deal with living in a world that you know is unintelligent and rejecting logic and reason. I see it as mankind's innate stupidity.

Maybe start by telling Daddy that Hitler was a religious believer, he may have been thinking of Uncle Joe Stalin.
As far as work goes I always recommend something physical like hanging drywall or maybe even laying blocks! No degree needed, just get out there and do it!
12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
(12-05-2016 08:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 07:52 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I am on facebook every day. I know what you may be thinking - THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. Well, I know that I spend too much time on the internet, it really can't be helped though. I have the option to go back to college for the 4th time and possibly drop out again, or get a minimum wage job and face it's horrors. So yeah, I stay at home on the computer A LOT.

Maybe start by telling Daddy that Hitler was a religious believer, he may have been thinking of Uncle Joe Stalin.
As far as work goes I always recommend something physical like hanging drywall or maybe even laying blocks! No degree needed, just get out there and do it!
I don't want to do that at all. I want to be around smart, educated people, or artistic people who value arts and culture. That's not to say no construction workers are those things, but is that really the sort of place where you'd look for that sort of thing. That sounds horrible. That sounds like the sort of place where you'd find people who think vegetarianism is stupid because eating a hamburger is manly and american. Hell, I don't want to be around ultra buff, masculine, homophobic people. I want to be around meek, artistic, aristocratic people who have an appreciation for arts and culture. I also absolutely hate manual labor.
15-05-2016, 09:55 AM
I feel the same way I was a former christian before I became an athiest. With that being my facebook account is full religious people because of my former beleif. I constantly get slammed with post how I need to turn or burn and going to hell. It gets so frustrating because certain relatives never contact me to see how myself or my wife and kids are doing. It gets very toxic and draining.
15-05-2016, 10:34 AM
OP

My advice is laugh and then get on with your day.
15-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Plastic *glow-in-the-dark* rosaries are very useful in warding off evil. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2016, 04:25 PM
" How do you deal living in a religion world?"

I talk to other people who are not religious or at least not heavily religious so that I can maintain some sort of grasp of reality.

☆☆☆