How do you deal with and process your anger?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2016, 09:15 PM
How do you deal with and process your anger?
As an atheist I've come out of and through the stages of denial and bargaining and depression....but I'm feeling alot of anger towards myself and my past belief of dogmas and superstition...I feel likemy anger is 60-100% but at the same time I've come to a place of acceptance my deconversion to atheism....80-100% now. But I'm still in the closet about my deconversion because of safety issues thatvI have. I'm a recovering catholic/christian. Any ideas, advice or suggestions? Thanks. And btw I'm 38 years old, visually disabled and Queer....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
06-04-2016, 09:17 PM
RE: How do you deal with and process your anger?
(06-04-2016 09:15 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  As an atheist I've come out of and through the stages of denial and bargaining and depression....but I'm feeling alot of anger towards myself and my past belief of dogmas and superstition...I feel likemy anger is 60-100% but at the same time I've come to a place of acceptance my deconversion to atheism....80-100% now. But I'm still in the closet about my deconversion because of safety issues thatvI have. I'm a recovering catholic/christian. Any ideas, advice or suggestions? Thanks. And btw I'm 38 years old, visually disabled and Queer....

I haven't felt anger in decades. I will not allow it. It diminishes me.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Don't waste your time on anger, embrace the fact that you are out of religion and free. Some people never get that. You are still young and you have your whole life ahead of you to be who you want, to do what you want, to love who you want, and to live the life that you want without fear of repercussions of a magical sky daddy. Some people never get that as they allow themselves to stay wrapped up in religion.

Other things that can help process anger are talking to a therapist, exercising, joining a support group, finding some hobbies such as art to channel some of this energy.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-04-2016, 10:25 PM
I've been an atheist all my life. However, I was abused greatly as a child. Taken advantage of. Put in dangerous work etc. I watched the film Spotlight earlier and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. I hate to see children abused.

I am not angry about my childhood. The broken bones, the punches etc. It made me who I am today. I learned martial arts to protect myself and was never touched again.

These days I suffer chronic dibilatatingonic pain. Only morphine can control it. I am not angry. Just determined. Anger is a waste of my time.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-04-2016, 10:39 PM
I am new to posting threads or responding to any threads on this site but yours caught my attention. I know how difficult it is to believe in something that although it is irrelevant to who you are as a person, means you feel as though you have to hide that part of yourself from the world because they either a) don't believe you, b) resent what they think atheism stands for, or c) are afraid that maybe, just maybe, you are right. I don't know you and I won't claim to know how you must feel. But, I know the pain and the anger and the fear that I felt when I decided to be true to myself and allow myself to be free from living a life in the dark. I use a lot of quotes because I believe the greatest minds of our time can say so much more than I can. I hope you feel free to reach out to me - everyone could use someone in their corner. But, either way, maybe this quote will speak to you the way it did for me:

“A universe without purpose should neither depress us nor suggest that our lives are purposeless. Through an awe-inspiring cosmic history we find ourselves on this remote planet in a remote corner of the universe, endowed with intelligence and self-awareness. We should not despair, but should humbly rejoice in making the most of these gifts, and celebrate our brief moment in the sun.”
― Lawrence M. Krauss

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

“Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.” --Douglas Adams
[+] 2 users Like Atheism=truth's post
06-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Being angry about the past is wasted emotional energy. Let it go.

You are here, now. Spend your mental time here, and now.
06-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Time. Give it time and in the meantime learn.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Anger ? I got no stinkin' anger. Goddammit. Angel
What Girly said.
Life is short.
If they *need* religion, whatever floats their boat. Not my problem no more.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2016, 01:56 AM
When I'm full on pissed off (about anything, not just religion)- hill sprints until I can't breathe or break down crying.

Or I vent here (you're not alone in your closet).

I'm to a point of acceptance with it for the most part. I refocus my energy to something productive. Art. Exercise. Cooking. Gardening. Science projects with my son - he loves it when I blow shit up. I'm about to start raising chickens and next year my Dad and I are going to start raising cattle again. These things bring meaning to my life.

Find what brings meaning to your day, what gives you purpose.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
07-04-2016, 05:23 AM
It's okay to feel angry. The problem is what to do with the energy that comes along with the anger. Especially if, like me, your first impulse is to do something stupid.

I try to channel that energy into something necessary but unpleasant, like cleaning out the garage, paying bills, etc. Something that involves physical exertion is ideal. Then if I'm still angry, I start writing, and that tends to smooth out the emotional state for me.