How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 01:15 PM
How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?
I've got this group assignment at school and I was pretty happy with the people from our group. The assignment was to organize a public event that criticizes things like censorship, Japan's disasters, facebook, anything. We're also supposed to interact with people on a public location. As an example: there was a guy who was scrubbing the streets with a toothbrush to criticize the labor in Africa (or something like that). But i think you know what i mean. Now the problem is that this requires both a lot of creativity and since we're interacting with people, we need to know how they will react. We also need to come up with ideas that are manageable.

Sadly enough one person was absent the day we made groups and now that he's back he just invited himself into our group. But as decent people, even though we were happy with the group as it was, we gave him a chance. Also a bigger group, means bigger expectations from the teacher.

After the first hours of discussing subjects it seemed that he didn't add anything to our project. Either because his suggestions were worthless or because he just didn't seem to understand what we were talking about while we used simple terms and told him everything that was said before he joined the group. I've been in the same courses as him since september and i'm certain he's just not a very smart guy.

Now i know it's not his fault that he's not a very intelligent person, but it's seriously getting on my nerves and on my grades. How do i deal with this, without ruining his or my life?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 01:24 PM
RE: How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?
This is the big problem with any group project. I do not think there is any textbook good way to handle it. On the one hand it is not fair to leave him out because then he does not pull his weight and he will not learn anything whereas on the other hand he has an impact on your grade. Perhaps the best solution would be to first discuss this issue with the other people in your group and try to delineate some portion of the assignment to him so he can pull his weight. As for helping him understand the specifics I have no idea what the best way is for that. Keeping him included will help and maybe as he is around the project longer more will soak in.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
29-04-2011, 02:12 PM
(29-04-2011 01:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is the big problem with any group project. I do not think there is any textbook good way to handle it. On the one hand it is not fair to leave him out because then he does not pull his weight and he will not learn anything whereas on the other hand he has an impact on your grade. Perhaps the best solution would be to first discuss this issue with the other people in your group and try to delineate some portion of the assignment to him so he can pull his weight. As for helping him understand the specifics I have no idea what the best way is for that. Keeping him included will help and maybe as he is around the project longer more will soak in.

Thanks for the advice, that might be the best thing to do in the end. I'm no good when it comes with this kind of situations and I usually end up with just keeping quiet until i receive the bad results they bring (RAGE!). I figured posting it here would be the best option since there are a lot of people here that have experience with dealing with people with a minor intellect (religious people). It seems that the first post instantly helped out, which kinda makes this a bit embarrassing. It's like a guy (me) saying: i've got this really big problem! And another guy (which is TheBeardedDude in this case) saying: Oh there you go, problem solved!.

So anyway thanks again :3
29-04-2011, 02:28 PM
(29-04-2011 02:12 PM)Tim_Kiebooms Wrote:  
(29-04-2011 01:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is the big problem with any group project. I do not think there is any textbook good way to handle it. On the one hand it is not fair to leave him out because then he does not pull his weight and he will not learn anything whereas on the other hand he has an impact on your grade. Perhaps the best solution would be to first discuss this issue with the other people in your group and try to delineate some portion of the assignment to him so he can pull his weight. As for helping him understand the specifics I have no idea what the best way is for that. Keeping him included will help and maybe as he is around the project longer more will soak in.

Thanks for the advice, that might be the best thing to do in the end. I'm no good when it comes with this kind of situations and I usually end up with just keeping quiet until i receive the bad results they bring (RAGE!). I figured posting it here would be the best option since there are a lot of people here that have experience with dealing with people with a minor intellect (religious people). It seems that the first post instantly helped out, which kinda makes this a bit embarrassing. It's like a guy (me) saying: i've got this really big problem! And another guy (which is TheBeardedDude in this case) saying: Oh there you go, problem solved!.

So anyway thanks again :3

Well hopefully it all works out. Use your own discretion but don't alienate anyone unnecessarily...unless they think the Earth was created in 6 days by a wizard.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
03-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey Tim, it's me! The slacker in the group! I just happened to read your post here and believe me you pegged me right! No offense taken whatsoever. I do not claim to be that smart of a guy and will admit I put forth the least effort as I can. I'm sorry that in this situation it may have a bearing on you and your grade, but then again I'm not sorry enough to change. Just give me a small task that I can not screw up that bad to do and I will do it. Don't worry about me being offended, there is nothing wrong with you labeling me not so smart because you are right. At the same time there is nothing wrong with me not being very smart either. Anyway, take care and I will see you in class!
03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
(03-05-2011 03:01 PM)J-Hova Wrote:  Hey Tim, it's me! The slacker in the group! I just happened to read your post here and believe me you pegged me right! No offense taken whatsoever. I do not claim to be that smart of a guy and will admit I put forth the least effort as I can. I'm sorry that in this situation it may have a bearing on you and your grade, but then again I'm not sorry enough to change. Just give me a small task that I can not screw up that bad to do and I will do it. Don't worry about me being offended, there is nothing wrong with you labeling me not so smart because you are right. At the same time there is nothing wrong with me not being very smart either. Anyway, take care and I will see you in class!
LOL

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
(03-05-2011 03:01 PM)J-Hova Wrote:  Hey Tim, it's me! The slacker in the group! I just happened to read your post here and believe me you pegged me right! No offense taken whatsoever. I do not claim to be that smart of a guy and will admit I put forth the least effort as I can. I'm sorry that in this situation it may have a bearing on you and your grade, but then again I'm not sorry enough to change. Just give me a small task that I can not screw up that bad to do and I will do it. Don't worry about me being offended, there is nothing wrong with you labeling me not so smart because you are right. At the same time there is nothing wrong with me not being very smart either. Anyway, take care and I will see you in class!

Nice try pal, St Louis you said you lived in? in one of your previous posts? Either you're mixing me up with someone else (which I highly, highly doubt) or you have the intention of making me feel awkward (in which i have to admit you succeeded for a moment). This would also be one of the last forums where i would expect him to be.
03-05-2011, 04:05 PM
(03-05-2011 03:16 PM)Tim_Kiebooms Wrote:  (in which i have to admit you succeeded for a moment)
PWNED tim Wink

I think his message is to be a bit patient with your classmate...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
(03-05-2011 04:05 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 03:16 PM)Tim_Kiebooms Wrote:  (in which i have to admit you succeeded for a moment)
PWNED tim Wink

I think his message is to be a bit patient with your classmate...
Well actually the advice TheBeardedDude gave me fits better. I've got some bad experience with the stay patient tactic. Because usually the situation only ends up getting worse. Also from what i've seen from other courses it doesn't seem like there would be any improvement near. Therefor posting it here to ask for advice seemed the best solution, which was indeed very helpful. Smile
04-05-2011, 03:32 AM
For me a lack of intelligence is something you can overcome but ignorance is something I cannot handle. When it comes to intelligence I am as patient as I can be as long as the person is willing to learn.