How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2011, 04:03 AM
RE: How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?
You probably know the quote "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Just do the group work as good as you can and give him the more menial tasks, retyping notes and such. Or is he even screwing that up? Don't waste your time explaining everything to him if it doesn't help.

Hopefully, your teacher will notice the fact that he hasn't given any real input and sanction him separately.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 04:20 AM
(04-05-2011 04:03 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  You probably know the quote "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Just do the group work as good as you can and give him the more menial tasks, retyping notes and such. Or is he even screwing that up? Don't waste your time explaining everything to him if it doesn't help.

Hopefully, your teacher will notice the fact that he hasn't given any real input and sanction him separately.

I don't think it would be fair to sanction him for his intelligence. I do wish sometimes he knew the saying: "It's better to keep quiet and look like you're dumb, instead of speaking and proving it." Cause he proved it alright.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
I have to deal with that all too often. I usually just give them enough (easy) work for them to be seen as active members of the group and either pull the extra work myself, or disperse it amongst those who are willing and able. I know I'm giving them an easy way out, but I really don't like having to wrestle with them every step of the way.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote: How do you deal with people who lack intelligence?

I usually duck tape them to a giant cracker and feed them to the catfish in the private pond in my basement.

What?
Like that's a bad thing?

I'd say given your grade counts on team work, and this person can't help that they're not up to steam with the rest, so being mean or dismissive would be hurtful and also would fail to lend the example that others are as intelligent as they'd like to think if they resort to being hateful to someone who's a bit different than themselves.

Also it's easy not to entrust them to any serious work while leaving them to the lesser tasks if there are any. As others have suggested. That way they're part of the team but their deficit doesn't chance to put the work everyone else is fit to do, at risk.
Be nice, because what may be part of the grade or under consideration in this effort, by your professor/teacher, is how you all work together as a team amid the eclectic personalities that make up each group. Community, as it were, being tested as well as the work. (Just a thought)
Quote this message in a reply