How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 06:38 PM
How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?
I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Infront_of_the_Veil2's post
13-11-2016, 07:11 PM
RE: How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?
(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?

I laugh at them. Drinking Beverage

And the is no 're-' about it; I have always been an atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Hi

I usually just tell them I made my decision and am happy with it and I hope we can still be friends without them trying to save me. If not, then sometimes you gotta let them go if the friendship is no longer a friendship and more of bullying for Jesus. If it's just a random person, I really don't let them get to me. I get to live my life the way I want without the threat of a magical sky genie. Those poor suckers have to live their lives under the make-believe God regime, submitting to His every demand or else. Those people deserve pity not anger.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Chas beat me to it. I laugh at them as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
13-11-2016, 07:30 PM
(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?

I don't have many people like that getting in my face, IRL. We don't generally answer the front door when people knock or ring, beyond checking if they are from the power company or something (We have a peep hole, and if people step out of view, we damned sure don't answer. They are either selling solar or jebus, maybe both). People with a legitimate reason to be at our front door don't step off the porch and are wearing uniforms and ID badges. After our neighbor vandalized our property, I installed security cameras. It's interesting to see how people react when a camera starts tracking them when they come up the walk to the house. Smile
13-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks all. I'm a former Christian, born and raised into a belief system and I am happier now than I ever have been.

I guess I get irritated because I don't get how so many people can't see how messed up the entire thing is..

I need to learn to laugh at them or ignore them.
13-11-2016, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 07:45 PM by pablo.)
Religion is a silly thing, not to be taken seriously, unless of course, they're trying to kill you over it.
13-11-2016, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 09:31 AM by julep.)

I tell them, "I've listened to you, and any more in that vein is going to drive me farther from your God, not nearer, so let's drop the subject." If he keeps going, I would also remind him that he is not the one who would be saving your soul--that's god's job, not his. And if he won't back off, avoid him and tell him why. Maybe eventually he will become more respectful. If not, that's his loss.
13-11-2016, 08:42 PM
(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)‘Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  ...said it’s his duty to “save my soul”...

Reply: It’s my duty to tell you to fuck off.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-11-2016, 09:11 PM
They're welcome to try. I generally get more entertainment out of the conversation than they do.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post