How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 10:11 PM
How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?
Don't know about other atheists but I don't care about sheep mewling. It's not like they have anything worthwile to say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?
I tend to say that everyone is entitled to believe what they want and that I don't force my views on anyone and they should respect my beliefs or lack of beliefs.

When I encounter anyone who wants to "save" me, I invariably start asking them about their own beliefs and if there's evidence to support them. They tend to go silent after a while and leave me alone.

Holding up the mirror of skepticism can be quite uncomfortable for individuals who want to proselytize.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
14-11-2016, 08:23 AM
(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?

Respect their first amendment. You can also practice your by laughing as chas suggests.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Perspective: You were just told to "stop the nonsense" by an adult with an imaginary friend.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
14-11-2016, 09:37 PM
I've honestly never been put right in the spotlight like that. Usually attempts at reconversion are made by my family, and I'm fairly good at skirting around the subject or debating them away.

But, if it ever came to it and I was confronted, repeatedly, with attempts to convince me my non-belief was 'wrong,' then I'd probably have a panic attack.

So my solution is just to avoid people who I know will 'pursue my soul.' Even past friends and moreover, family.

Because, really, those people are the kind least likely to respect your beliefs and opinions, no matter what you have to say, no matter how logically you explain it, because of how deeply ingrained they are in their belief. Even though they think they are helping you and their intentions are good (but grossly misguided), they will not back down and will only see you as the one guilty of burning bridges and being illogical.

So I thinks it's best to avoid them, and if they ask why, tell em.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
14-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Ask them why they worship a god that would even allow a hell to exist, thereby putting "souls" in danger.

And then tell them to go home and pray without ceasing for their god to abolish hell. That should keep 'em busy for a while.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
14-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Don't tell them that you're an atheist and they won't try.
14-11-2016, 11:35 PM
(14-11-2016 10:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Don't tell them that you're an atheist and they won't try.

And if you quit posting, you won't get insulted. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2016, 11:42 PM
I tend to vibrate in the frequency of psychopathy, so people generally don't approach me... about anything. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-11-2016, 11:59 PM
(14-11-2016 11:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 10:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Don't tell them that you're an atheist and they won't try.

And if you quit posting, you won't get insulted. Drinking Beverage

I came here fully anticipating getting insulted. Although I don't think I've been personally insulted yet. The incident you're probably referring to being Leela and she was just insulting religion. Behavior that I sought to admonish her for. ^-^