How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2016, 12:03 AM
RE: How do you deal with religious people trying to reconvert you?
(14-11-2016 11:59 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  And if you quit posting, you won't get insulted. Drinking Beverage

I came here fully anticipating getting insulted. Although I don't think I've been personally insulted yet. The incident you're probably referring to being Leela and she was just insulting religion. Behavior that I sought to admonish her for. ^-^

You're shoveling shit against the tide.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2016, 12:07 AM
(15-11-2016 12:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:59 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I came here fully anticipating getting insulted. Although I don't think I've been personally insulted yet. The incident you're probably referring to being Leela and she was just insulting religion. Behavior that I sought to admonish her for. ^-^

You're shoveling shit against the tide.

I've never heard of that expression before, but I assume its similar to pissing in the wind.

It feels good to love Chas, and if loving means I have to shovel shit against the tide then so be it.
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2016, 07:23 AM
(15-11-2016 12:07 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(15-11-2016 12:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  You're shoveling shit against the tide.

I've never heard of that expression before, but I assume its similar to pissing in the wind.

It feels good to love Chas, and if loving means I have to shovel shit against the tide then so be it.

I feel love without having to shovel shit. You might want to try it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Hello! Big Grin

(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?

Hug

Not being "In your shoes" with living in a pretty secular country (Well.. it seemed so in my youth) and having 'Gone through' a short bout of "You have to really join this religion if you want to get any where in the world today." (Which... didn't happen for a LOT of reasons) I can agree with most folks here who say that if you've not been indoctrinated before you're about 5 to 8 years old? Yeah, it's not going to stick.

So... other than light reading into other beliefs than X-tianity I've found most religions rather vague, strange and a little bit silly.

Hug Hope you're doing well in your state of mind and place in the world.

Thumbsup
15-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Hello! Big Grin

(14-11-2016 10:46 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Don't tell them that you're an atheist and they won't try.

Hug

Perhaps you'd like to start up a chat thread some where and we can talk/post pleasantly to one another?

Thumbsup
15-11-2016, 08:39 AM
(13-11-2016 06:38 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  I'm new to atheism and I told someone I was an atheist and they told me to "stop the nonsense" & I almost lost it. I wanted to demean his intelligence and let him have it "intelligently". I know a lot of atheists are well studied in religion and often times know holy books better than the followers of holy books, & I found myself writing an essay to him about everything that has definitely been proven incorrect and factual, but I deleted it and left it at, "I don't try to force my beliefs on you so I deserve the same respect". He agreed and said it's his duty to "save my soul" and that also made my blood boil because to me the idea of burning people for eternity is the most immoral thing possible and threatening them with that "believe or be damned" is tyrannical. How do the atheists here deal with encounters like this?

At this point, I just dismiss them as they dismiss me. Because if they believe I need to be converted or "saved," then they don't have much respect for my beliefs, views, and opinions.

It's not so much a "live and let live" sort of method and more of a "you don't seem to realize how rude you're being, so allow me to show you by reciprocating it."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Hi, i'm new to atheism as well. I will tell you something from my experience. I grew up in a household, where my younger sister was a better student and considered to be smarter than me. She and my entire family remain strong evangelical Christians. I am the only atheist. I find that arguing with this particular sister about religion makes my blood boil. I feel like I need to convince her that I'm right for my view to be valid. I've realized that there are psychological issues at play here for me (i feel inferior to her still and lack of validation from her feels like my views are wrong, even if I think I'm right). It is this issue that I'm really fighting.

At the end of the day, for me, I find that if I'm having my blood boiling moments, it's better not to argue. I think you had a good idea on writing an essay, although don't delete it. Share with us, if you can. I'm sure we could all benefit from it.
[+] 1 user Likes SuperBigV's post
19-11-2016, 12:49 AM
No one's ever tried to "reconvert" me. If someone ever does I think I'll enjoy the debate.

I was an agnostic at age 12 and had pretty much deconverted by age 18. I continued to call myself an agnostic until about 5 years ago when I read The God Delusion.

Sapere aude
19-11-2016, 03:17 AM
I tel them that I am a trying to be good person becouse I'm human not becouse I'm afraid of hell, and that of all religions christianity is among the worst ones, and I would reather belive in pink unicorn, instead of god, of course :-)))) If I foud out I'm talking with intelegent person, sometimes I eaven argue :-)))

Послато са SM-N9005 уз помоћ Тапатока
20-11-2016, 05:31 PM
If you lost your faith just recently, a lot of things will rub you the wrong way for a while.
It takes time to heal and it takes time to let go.

You can think from their perspective. They don't wish you bad but they mean well and want to save you. That's cool. Now you have to communicate that you don't want to be saved and that you don't feel a need to be saved. Just understand that if you let anybody pull you into a "religion vs atheism" argument, you have to come prepared. And for that I can recommend you read a bit on here. Just linger around and read what others have experienced, how people's conversations went, and what the most common things are that christians usually say to win you back (something from nothing, 2nd law of thermodynamics, the eye is complex, creator - watch maker, strawman fallacy, argument from authority, etc).

As for myself, I ignore the preachy things that people say and react to the rest. I also ignore the words sometimes and react to what they mean. Like the common "bless ya" here in Ireland that I take as whatever they used it for. Be it a thank you they meant or whatever. Doesn't bother me one bit until anybody starts preaching to me and at that point I am making them feel uncomfortable with logic so they want to stop preaching out of their own free will Wink

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -