How do you deal with those "alone" times?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 02:31 PM
How do you deal with those "alone" times?
Honest question here....As a christian, when I had a down moment by myself, where I had no one else to turn to, I always had God/Jesus. Now, as an atheist, who/what do I turn to when I have those moments...those moments when you're sitting by yourelf in your room or on a walk outside with your thoughts, and you have no one to transfer the hurt/conversation to. How do you guys deal with those times? And Im not talking about getting a friend, or seeking professional help, I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..where do you turn to cope

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like djgenx7's post
29-11-2011, 04:13 PM
RE: How do you deal with those "alone" times?
Within. In fact I prefer quiet, solitary contemplation to having someone to turn to.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-11-2011, 04:18 PM
The universe, and its science. Works for many. For myself, I have Gwyneth Paltrow tattooed on my arm, I am never alone. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-11-2011, 04:18 PM
(29-11-2011 04:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Within. In fact I prefer quiet, solitary contemplation to having someone to turn to.

That's the way I feel about it. Introspection has been not only a favorite activity of mine, but helps me feel less alone. You always have yourself to be there for yourself, if that makes any sense.
[+] 3 users Like Kaos MD's post
29-11-2011, 05:29 PM
(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Honest question here....As a christian, when I had a down moment by myself, where I had no one else to turn to, I always had God/Jesus. Now, as an atheist, who/what do I turn to when I have those moments...those moments when you're sitting by yourelf in your room or on a walk outside with your thoughts, and you have no one to transfer the hurt/conversation to. How do you guys deal with those times? And Im not talking about getting a friend, or seeking professional help, I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..where do you turn to cope

I became good friends with myself at an early age and me and me cope really well! Sitting on a nice beach or under a tree helps.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 3 users Like Organon's post
29-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah the best idea is to go somewhere normally calming to you while being alone. Don't be afraid to ask yourself questions or answer your own questions. Introspection can be pretty much the same as talking to god you're just not attributing the voice to something besides yourself. Some don't do it this way others do. How you talk with yourself is a very personal thing which discussing in public tends to get you arrested =p.

I myself really do like to talk to others when I need a pick me up, and I usually want to fix something for someone. But I've had a desire to not exist so my own needs are generally few.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
29-11-2011, 05:47 PM

(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..where do you turn to cope

I usually do something creative: play music (on my violin), continue with one of my projects (construction, wood carving, etc), write poetry or hug a tree, solve a differential equation, play with a cat.

The trick in not feeling alone is to embrace something you love, even when your loved one is not there.

Nothing gives me such a strong feeling of meaning in my life than some act of creativity: when I interact with the universe in some personal way and the universe responds to me in kind. That is when I love life the most! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Zatamon's post
29-11-2011, 06:22 PM
My best solution has been using your creative mind and develop something that you can feel proud about.

In my opinion it isn't only better than anything a religious feeling of god's will with you can inspire but it's the same type of creative ideas that created that feeling and idea of Gods to begin with, only with a solution that helps the man instead of limiting your mind.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-11-2011, 06:29 PM
(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Now, as an atheist, who/what do I turn to when I have those moments...those moments when you're sitting by yourelf in your room or on a walk outside with your thoughts, and you have no one to transfer the hurt/conversation to. How do you guys deal with those times?

Booze. After a couple of shots there're three or four different fuckers in my head already carrying on an interesting debate and discussion. All I have to do is join in. It's usually a pretty good party. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Solve a differential equation, the Zat says... Reminds me of being on the streets one time, when among my few possessions were two algebra workbooks. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user