How do you deal with those "alone" times?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 08:20 PM
RE: How do you deal with those "alone" times?
erm... teehee... SHHHHHH....

Also I like to be alone much like Stark. It gives me time to think. One of the things I've thought about in these alone times (which are few and far between these days with my little one always hanging around) is how I believe most people are afraid to be alone and have to think. To become really introspective. That's why I think everyone seems so keen on making noise. Just loud and obtrusive. Also why I think the portable computer (laptops, cell phones, tablets... annoying shit) has become such a popular convenience these days. To stay always connected to something other than yourself, means you will never have to figure out who you are and what you want.

Society has turned into a machine, something that creates carbon copies and shoots them out, soulless and empty, no personal drive or motivations. Everyone aspires to the same generic ends, and none of them are really sure why. To become ourselves again I feel we need that alone time, to get to know ourselves and what we really want in life. It's short. But it doesn't have to be pointless. It took me a long time of me alone, to realize I don't want to be rich at all. I don't want a big house. I don't care what people think about me. I wouldn't have any of that knowledge without alone time... and maybe the help of Mary Jane. She was a big help. We don't see each other anymore, but I'd recommend her to anyone in need of some introspection and or creative boosts. Or if you just have some fucked up cartoons in need of watching.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like lucradis's post
29-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Core philosophy of this unit - know thyself.
Critical failure of this unit - don't like self.
Solution. I and my Gwynnies are one. I love the me that loves Gwyneth Paltrow. Any philosophy in a storm, is the wisdom. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-11-2011, 08:57 PM
(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  How do you guys deal with those times? And Im not talking about getting a friend, or seeking professional help, I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..

I don't understand why you make this a necessity. Why would you have to be alone? It's like asking "If you had to believe in a God, wouldn't you believe in Yahweh?"

Lean on a friend or get professional help, because that's what those tools are there for.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
29-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I think I know what you mean, OP. I struggle with this as well. If someone hasn't spent a life-time being a True Believer, they may not understand. But for me, there has always been a "voice" in my head. Not an audible hallucination, just a comforting presence that I knew as God. There is an adjustment that needs to take place n the born-again Atheist's mind. I have to often remind myself that the "voice" I heard all my life was me. Therefore, I can still "talk" to myself, which really just means being introspective and contemplative, as Stark and Lud mentioned. There have been some times recently where as I'm falling asleep at night, I catch myself beginning to pray...because that's what I did for my entire life. Instead, I just run the events of the day through my mind and end up feeling empowered to realize that all that stuff I attributed to God in the past was me. So I'm obviously equipped with God-like powers and therefore able to work past any obstacle.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
29-11-2011, 09:18 PM

(29-11-2011 09:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Instead, I just run the events of the day through my mind and end up feeling empowered

One of my favourite movies is "The Milagro Beanfield War", directed by Robert Redford.

It has an unforgettable line in it, at the beginning: the oldest man in town wakes up, goes to the sink to wash his face, looks in the mirror and murmurs: "Thank you god for letting me live another day".

Forgetting about god, I often feel something like that: being alive is such a wonderful gift, to have a whole day ahead of you, to savour every minute of it: good and bad, it is a treasure not to squander.

Spend it alone in the woods, if you can, singing with the birds and cavorting with the squirrels, think about all you can fit into 24 hours, write a love letter in your head, hug a tree or lie down in the grass and fall into the infinite blueness of the sky.

It will never come back and oblivion is a very long time -- make the most of what you have today (and leave a non-existent delusion, called god, out of it).

To underline what I mean, I refer you to the poem I wrote at Poet's Corner called: "Life" (Post #98).
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Zatamon's post
29-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Erxomai... You have just created the image of the inner mind of a surviving religionist. I can empathize with your picture of the re-framing of the still small voice just as you have portrayed it. This is incredibly useful to those still struggling with the past. Thanks.

Zatamon... You have created a picture of the mind and heart that we strive for. Freedom from the bonds of dogma and the vision of the beauty of just being, embracing our Mother, the earth. You are awesome.

Everyone... Where on the planet can people find such a new image of life than this? We are finding the wonderment, the awesomeness through these voices, through all the voices on this forum, that fulfill the empty spot in our brains that have looked in all the wrong places for centuries, millennia. Take this in, people! Do not take this for granted. This is the only hope for the resurrection of man. It is the future! It is life!

Thank you everyone!!!

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 3 users Like defacto7's post
29-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Inward, outward or backward.
Depends on what had got me down.
Sometimes i sit quietly - or toss and turn all night - and try to figure out what's going on, what's gone wrong, what i can do about it.
Sometimes i go for a walk in the woods - very early in the morning is best - and just hear and see and smell the natural world i love. That's calming and comforting; it puts me back in touch with rock-solid reality. Once there, i can start climbing again.
Sometimes i remember the people who have given me sound advice or a worthy example or inspiration; books i've read with answers in them; previous similar experiences of my own or of people i know well, and trace the lessons.
Real life is full of knowledge and reassurance. You don't need spooks to keep your psyche company....
... once you've given up the need for certainty.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
29-11-2011, 10:19 PM
(29-11-2011 09:18 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  It has an unforgettable line in it, at the beginning: the oldest man in town wakes up, goes to the sink to wash his face, looks in the mirror and murmurs: "Thank you god for letting me live another day".

Forgetting about god, I often feel something like that: being alive is such a wonderful gift, to have a whole day ahead of you, to savour every minute of it: good and bad, it is a treasure not to squander.

That is a beautiful scene and the application in your life, Zatamon is incredible. My dad was also a preacher, only much less hellbound than I am. He had a common quotation that he would use in sermons from time to time, "Some people wake up and say, Good Lord, it's morning." Those people are likely to have a bad day. The True Believer will wake up and say, "Good morning, Lord!"
Again, removing the religious aspect, I think of this as I read about your philosophy of being alive and savoring every minute of life.

I loved Defacto's phrasing in his post about a new image in life...Christianity teaches that it leads to a new Christ-like image. Only I never felt as alive as I do now...but...right now, my "aliveness" includes a LOT of pain as I sort through which parts of my life were real and what was delusion. This real life shit can really suck some days. But, at least I don't have to feel guilty about anything any more!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
29-11-2011, 10:30 PM

(29-11-2011 10:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ... as I read about your philosophy of being alive and savoring every minute of life.

I have expressed this philosophy maybe more clearly in one of my threads called "On death and dying" by contrasting life and death (Post #1 and #9).

You can never make peace with one, without making your peace with the other.
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2011, 10:34 PM
(29-11-2011 10:30 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 10:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ... as I read about your philosophy of being alive and savoring every minute of life.

I have expressed this philosophy maybe more clearly in one of my threads called "On death and dying" by contrasting life and death (Post #1 and #9).

You can never make peace with one, without making your peace with the other.

To be honest, I really haven't been quite ready to deal with the whole philosophy of death issue, except for finding reasons not to go there yet. But your contrasts interest me and I shall be snacking on your food for thought. Smile

~Izel