How do you deal with those "alone" times?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
RE: How do you deal with those "alone" times?
I like to be alone and to have quiet time. Sometimes I read or meditate (several different forms of this); sometimes I just sit outside and listen or watch all the 'natural' activity going on (like birds or clouds).

But then, I was an only child, I had to learn early what to do with myself when alone.

Ann
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 06:42 PM
(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Honest question here....As a christian, when I had a down moment by myself, where I had no one else to turn to, I always had God/Jesus. Now, as an atheist, who/what do I turn to when I have those moments...those moments when you're sitting by yourelf in your room or on a walk outside with your thoughts, and you have no one to transfer the hurt/conversation to. How do you guys deal with those times? And Im not talking about getting a friend, or seeking professional help, I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..where do you turn to cope

I personally turn to music or with my thoughts.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I was often alone as a kid and learned to entertain and soothe myself. It it a comfortable place for me. I still prefer being alone and handling things on my own as people often add too much noise and chaos for my liking. I was never one to "talk to God" since I learned young that he didn't listen.

When things have been particularly tough I have listened to music or standup comedy to break the thought cycles I can sometimes get locked into.

I read, I sew, I mess around on the computer. I take college classes online and in person so there's always studying to do.

Alone doesn't bother me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
It takes courage for an atheist to admit they feel alone sometimes, so kudos to you.

In those moments, I typically turn my "alone" time into a unique experience by learning something new or trying something I've never done before... or by playing my guitar or working on a story or research paper.

Of course, there is a difference between enhancing one's life and just running from distraction to distraction. Sometimes a person just needs to sit quietly and work through their feelings. Even if they are unpleasant, they are a part of life and should be explored.

You are a resilient person: a person's God/Jesus is (as you know) a reflection of themselves, an area of their own mind that they are speaking to and hear back from. I'm trying to say that when you had those down moments, you helped yourself, even if you did not realize it at the time.

(29-11-2011 02:31 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Honest question here....As a christian, when I had a down moment by myself, where I had no one else to turn to, I always had God/Jesus. Now, as an atheist, who/what do I turn to when I have those moments...those moments when you're sitting by yourelf in your room or on a walk outside with your thoughts, and you have no one to transfer the hurt/conversation to. How do you guys deal with those times? And Im not talking about getting a friend, or seeking professional help, I mean when you're alone, and it's just you and space..where do you turn to cope
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
(10-03-2012 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was never one to "talk to God" since I learned young that he didn't listen.

I used to talk to god and then, because nothing came of it, realised I was talking to myself.
Ergo...
I am god!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-03-2012, 09:05 PM
(10-03-2012 07:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was never one to "talk to God" since I learned young that he didn't listen.

I used to talk to god and then, because nothing came of it, realised I was talking to myself.
Ergo...
I am god!

Eureka! Good thinking sir, good thinking! ;D

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
When you’re schizophrenic you’re never alone.
What did you say? No I’m not tired. Who ate all the cereal?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
(10-03-2012 09:09 PM)Thomas Wrote:  When you’re schizophrenic you’re never alone.
What did you say? No I’m not tired. Who ate all the cereal?

Oh, that reminds me of another forum where one person didn't believe anyone else existed really. We were all one person. So basically talking to someone else really was talking to yourself according to that person. I always talked to him as though I was talking to myself and he thought I was confusing.. I don't see why he thought that since I was apparently talking to myself.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Ah, this is like that 'What makes you Happy?' thread we had a while back, a good question that allows theists to see how a non-theistic mind deals with a serious issue and help us learn more about our fellow board members.

For me my main weapon against the 'alonzzies' is work, be it building something, writing something, working out ( I can not recommend this one more) or even going for a drive.

And I know I'm painting something of a grim picture here, but if all else fails: Beer!

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey