How do you dumb down science for fundies and the general public?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2012, 02:38 PM
How do you dumb down science for fundies and the general public?
It's obvious that many fundies have not done their homework when they try to refute stuff like the big bang theory (BBT) and evolution. Beyond this, much of the general public doesn't have enough foundation in science to understand the supporting evidence. My mother fits into the latter group. She is not a terribly religious person, but she does not quite accept the BBT or evolution. Regarding the BBT, I’ve told her about how we know the universe had an origin because of the fact that it is expanding. I made it easier for her to understand the concept of “red shift” by comparing light with sound via the imagery of an ambulance and a slinky. I first started off by asking her if she noticed how an ambulance siren sounded higher while coming at her and lower after passing. This is due to the compression of sound in the former (like someone squishing a slinky) and the stretching of sound in the latter (like pulling a slinky). Then I tell her that light works the same way. Light moving towards us turns blue, while light moving away turns red. We know that stars and galaxies are moving away—i.e., the universe is expanding—because they shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

Some fundies often claim that the 2nd law of Thermodynamics disproves the BBT because a 14 billion-year-old universe would have collapsed from chaos eons ago. I have recently thought up an illustration to show them why this is not true. Just have them imagine the universe as a fish tank full of water. Now have them imagine chaos as a dropper full of red dye constantly dripping into the fish tank. Logic would dictate that, over time, the dye would eventually turn all of the water red, thus representing the destruction of the universe. However, the universe is not a closed system like this because it is expanding. You can illustrate the expansion by having them imagine a hose pumping water into the tank. The negative effect of the dye (chaos) is balanced out by the expanding water (universe).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
20-04-2012, 02:47 PM
RE: How do you dumb down science for fundies and the general public?
I've always found that traveling light is the kiss of death for YECs.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
20-04-2012, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 03:01 PM by FSM_scot.)
I think you explained that really well.

You simplified the topic, explained it using simple concepts that people are familiar with, Making what you are saying really simple to understand.

As for explaining evolution, you should try this. Its simple and explains evolution in an easy to grasp way.

[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
20-04-2012, 03:06 PM
(20-04-2012 02:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's obvious that many fundies have not done their homework when they try to refute stuff like the big bang theory (BBT) and evolution. Beyond this, much of the general public doesn't have enough foundation in science to understand the supporting evidence. My mother fits into the latter group. She is not a terribly religious person, but she does not quite accept the BBT or evolution. Regarding the BBT, I’ve told her about how we know the universe had an origin because of the fact that it is expanding. I made it easier for her to understand the concept of “red shift” by comparing light with sound via the imagery of an ambulance and a slinky. I first started off by asking her if she noticed how an ambulance siren sounded higher while coming at her and lower after passing. This is due to the compression of sound in the former (like someone squishing a slinky) and the stretching of sound in the latter (like pulling a slinky). Then I tell her that light works the same way. Light moving towards us turns blue, while light moving away turns red. We know that stars and galaxies are moving away—i.e., the universe is expanding—because they shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

Some fundies often claim that the 2nd law of Thermodynamics disproves the BBT because a 14 billion-year-old universe would have collapsed from chaos eons ago. I have recently thought up an illustration to show them why this is not true. Just have them imagine the universe as a fish tank full of water. Now have them imagine chaos as a dropper full of red dye constantly dripping into the fish tank. Logic would dictate that, over time, the dye would eventually turn all of the water red, thus representing the destruction of the universe. However, the universe is not a closed system like this because it is expanding. You can illustrate the expansion by having them imagine a hose pumping water into the tank. The negative effect of the dye (chaos) is balanced out by the expanding water (universe).
You can't dumb it down. Either they're going to get it or they
won't. In addition fundies don't want to hear anything that contradicts
them, so any effort here is futile.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-04-2012, 03:12 PM
You just have to explain stuff as if you were explaining it to a child. Just like ghost in the first post.

Reminds me of my work in a day care center a few years ago.
I remember explaining to a group of 5-year olds what molecules are and how they work. I mean the whole deal, how they kinda stick together, and how they are something different if you have more of this or that etc. And we crafted some made up molecules and hung them on the wall. I put a headline above "we made molecules". Parents where stunned, and even more surprised that their kids did in fact understand the concept and where able to explain what they did there.
I loved those little science projects that I did back then.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
20-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Just make Neil DeGrasse Tyson + Michio Kaku to explain it and you've got an instant win.

Just make sure that you strip away all the fancy words and define basic things like theory and things like that. If you can, make it interesting and not a lecture type thing going on

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
20-04-2012, 06:51 PM
(20-04-2012 02:57 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I think you explained that really well.

You simplified the topic, explained it using simple concepts that people are familiar with, Making what you are saying really simple to understand.

As for explaining evolution, you should try this. Its simple and explains evolution in an easy to grasp way.

[...]

Thank you for the complement. I really liked that video. The illustration that I often use is copying a picture on a copying machine. Each copy comes out differently than the one before it, leading to major differences down the line. I think the video is a much simpler idea to grasp, especially when you can see the progression on the computer screen.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
20-04-2012, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 07:28 PM by Hafnof.)
You might be better starting here with most people:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA7497CDA7F56E818
(They might be Giants, Here comes science)

OK - I'll expand. This is an album I play to my children. The elements song in particular is just about the most awesome thing ever. When my daughter was still four my wife asked her what's in a banana. Her response? "Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen.". I had to check. She was right.
I had never been prouder.
20-04-2012, 08:18 PM
With evolution I refer the to Ken Miller' book Finding Darwins God. They all talk about Origin of Species but I'll be damned if I can find one that has read the it.

With the age of the earth and universe it's hader to get them to invest the time and effort to look at real science. Thunderf00t' YouTube series Why Do People Laugh at Creationist is an excellent source of knowledge but they find the title a tad insulting. Aronra' Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism is also excellent.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is much nicer about imparting knowledge and his books are really enjoyable.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Today somebody questioned me of why i beliiiieve in god.After that i explained to myself the reasons i belived in god

The God-Man-Bacteria Analogy
-----------------------------

1. I always wonder the curious fact that life exists everywhere in many or in strange forms.In deep oceans ,in volcanos, in high thermal vents, extreme saline hot cold situvations it simply exist.SO....

2. its quit natural to beliiiiiieve that life is going to exist outside earrth too there are billion billion stars in unniverse. There are possibllllly a billion billion universes. and its mere vastness is great enough reason to believe there is life outside earth.many intelligent species too.SO...

3. Our human body is a vast universe. there are 10^13 cells in our body....but the strange thing is the parasetic and symbiotic bacteria and viruses ...simply out number our body cells to a factor of 100. There is a 100 times more bacteria in our body than livin g cells.

4. Bacteria is a very intelligent species more intelligent in its realms than human.its adaptability,thrive to existence,power of resilence learning powers defending abilities attackinnnnng abilities are much advanced than humans. yet compared to our macro world they are helpless.

5. A colony of bacteria living inside a trench made by them in the intestine of human is trying to understand its existence how long will it develop the intelligent to understand humans. One day after a few hundred years they may develop helicoptwers and come out of humans mouth. yet they cant understand fully were they exist.

6. We may be like bacterias living inside the guts of a Supreme Being which we call god. May be living in the inside nail of god

7. The world is made in a solar sytem model from micro to macro level.even electrons protons to universes blackholes fgollowing the model.so its natural to believe the earth is a part if not a cell of the god itself

8. god as we fear bacterias may be afraid of us too.Its very difficult for him to wipe us out of him.