How do you enjoy history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 07:36 PM
How do you enjoy history?
Actively researching? Curling up with a good book? Side of fava beans and a glass of chianti?

Are there certain periods that draw you? Or themes?

For the longest time - in no small part because of being an aircraft buff - I was into WWII. WWI, a little, and some of the period between. (I tend to lean toward the "It was really one protracted world war with a bit of a breather in the middle.") Tied to that, well, I build model aircraft and there's a good variety of color schemes out there.

My interests started expanding, though. In part from finally getting interested in biographies - and I seem to wander all over time with those. The Great Courses, just because they have some interesting ones (I was on a 1066 kick for a while.)

Language also started pulling me into other directions, history wise - not least because of everything that's influenced English, and because I find all the variations and permutations fascinating. If I could go back to school and not have to worry about a job after, I'd probably dive headfirst into languages in some form or other.

So my horizons have broadened somewhat... I just wish they had done so more when I was younger!

So for me, it's reading. Documentaries. Little bit of research - I like digging bits out of various books. And modeling, though going by my ex's comment that's more the artistic side as I find interesting or unique colors and markings for things.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ricochet180's post
27-03-2017, 08:24 PM
RE: How do you enjoy history?
(27-03-2017 07:36 PM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  Actively researching? Curling up with a good book?

I am especially interested in adding details to my study of big history, which covers the full range of scientific discoveries.

But lately I've been reading about the Civil War. I started by watching the Ken Burns Civil War documentary episodes again. I then read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, and I'm working on The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant and also Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The reasons for my specific interest in that history is because a) I'm American and b) my parents took me to visit several Civil War locations when I was a kid, including Gettysburg and Appomattox Courthouse.

I guess as far as themes go, I am most interested in the bravery of Douglass, the persistence of Grant, and the political genius of Lincoln. I am less interested in man's inhumanity to man.

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 09:02 PM
(27-03-2017 08:24 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:36 PM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  Actively researching? Curling up with a good book?

I am especially interested in adding details to my study of big history, which covers the full range of scientific discoveries.

But lately I've been reading about the Civil War. I started by watching the Ken Burns Civil War documentary episodes again. I then read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, and I'm working on The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant and also Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The reasons for my specific interest in that history is because a) I'm American and b) my parents took me to visit several Civil War locations when I was a kid, including Gettysburg and Appomattox Courthouse.

I guess as far as themes go, I am most interested in the bravery of Douglass, the persistence of Grant, and the political genius of Lincoln. I am less interested in man's inhumanity to man.

Hobo

I recently heard that Fred Douglass is doing an amazing job...”Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more...” ~DJT

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...mp/515292/

Anyway, I like my history by book, documentary, museum, architecture...you name it!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 09:27 PM
I like to learn about the Renaissance, early history of hunters and gathers. T Hat was always something that spiked my love and interest in history

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
27-03-2017, 09:44 PM
One of the things I like about studying foreign language is being able to read different versions of the same history.

'Murican Canadian
27-03-2017, 11:10 PM
As a costume designer I need to know what influenced the clothing people wore. Some of what I've studied is the Silk Road and trade of textiles and dye stuffs. Just the study of the color blue and purple has a long history. Textiles and costumes are endlessly interesting.

Some of the early Italian textile looms were so complicated that Leonardo Da Vinci became very interested in them. He wanted to design a mechanical loom that was automatic. Here is a website that has some of his drawings of a loom. This was just the complicated thing that would interest Da Vinci. This is a reconstruction of Da Vinci's loom.

[Image: study-of-leonardo-da-vinci-weaving-machi...de0878.jpg]

http://www.museoscienza.org/leonardo/tel...o_eng.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-03-2017, 12:47 AM

I was going to say that my days of active research are over but reading books easily qualify as such, given the Cambridge dictionary definition.

Quote:Are there certain periods that draw you? Or themes?

Genocides during WW II and preceding years, Russian Revolution.

Quote:My interests started expanding, though. In part from finally getting interested in biographies - and I seem to wander all over time with those. The Great Courses, just because they have some interesting ones (I was on a 1066 kick for a while.)

Mine expanded too - I look for books about dictators and genocides. I also made effort to understand marxism-leninism in greater depth.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-03-2017, 03:41 AM
(27-03-2017 07:36 PM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  My interests started expanding, though. In part from finally getting interested in biographies - and I seem to wander all over time with those. The Great Courses, just because they have some interesting ones (I was on a 1066 kick for a while.)

I have found the Teaching Company Great Courses engaging for years now (though not about history). But I love books the best, and now that I'm retired my primary activity each day is reading. I don't think I could be happier.

Big Grin

Is your interest in history your primary hobby?
29-03-2017, 07:47 AM
(28-03-2017 03:41 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  Is your interest in history your primary hobby?

I suppose it's a question of how that's defined! While it might not be something I sit down and go "I'm going to look into history today," it does drive quite a few of my choices - books I'll be drawn to, movies (or even youtube videos) I'll watch, and as mentioned before, models, too.

Heck, even reading classics, not because they're considered "classic" but because of how writing them was approached.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
29-03-2017, 07:54 AM
In retrospect, usually

Girl_nails

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post