How do you enjoy history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 08:10 AM
RE: How do you enjoy history?
I was that most rare of beasts, a historian working in a non-teaching job. At least until I turned 65. Now I do it for fun.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Not sure if I necessarily enjoy history, learning about WW1 or WW2 is rather depressing, for example. The history of science is probably the most enjoyable part.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
31-03-2017, 08:40 AM
I enjoy history in general, I mean I'm always willing to make some research about a topic I hear about to know a bit more about it (it's almost frustrating sometimes because once you start digging a topic you realize it would take you a lifetime to dig it properly, so I only scratch the surface, just for general culture).

The topic I enjoy the most is the colonization of the Americas, from the settlement to the WWI. I find it fascinating, so I read books about it. The main problem is that history is a general topic, so to really understand a part, you have to expend your research to learn other parts, and so on. So, to follow properly the colonization of Americas, it's better to know some parts of the british history, that's where I'm lost because in France, we only study french history at school, and I lack of some basis in british history to understand some parts of the colonization (especially the politic).
It's a hobby for me, sadly I don't have as much time as I'd like to read more history books, there are already so many other books (outside history) that I'd like to read !
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
31-03-2017, 08:50 AM
I've been accumulating history books for well over three decades. I probably have over 300 in my private library. Ever since DVD's became available, however, I began collecting historical documentaries. I can't accurately guess, offhand, how many I presently have, but my collection is quite large. Thumbsup

I'm presently reading The Airman and the Carpenter by Ludovic Kennedy.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
31-03-2017, 09:17 AM
(31-03-2017 07:43 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Not sure if I necessarily enjoy history, learning about WW1 or WW2 is rather depressing, for example. The history of science is probably the most enjoyable part.

History, or the fascination with history, isn't so much about the big events but about the small details. How people lived, how they thought, what they left to give us an insight into their societies and their special circumstances.

That's what's always fascinated me the most about history. Not the large picture everybody knows, or should know at least, but the smallish things that can make you relate to people that are long gone.

Such as, only to name one example, the letters from Vindolanda. A small Roman military outpost in Britain. The soldiers wrote home, asking for warm socks and other everyday stuff. People invited each other over to celebrate a birthday. In short, everyday stuff. But also stuff that makes you see these people weren't any different than we are now. One can still relate to their daily concerns.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
03-04-2017, 05:04 PM
My interest in history runs the gamut from pre-history (with the exception of ancient Egyptian which I get so much of on TV) right up through the present times although I tend to overlook some of the modern writers especially post WWII through the end of the Viet Nam war.

I've gone through most of the history books at my local library; it is getting harder for me to find titles that interest me.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
(31-03-2017 07:43 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Not sure if I necessarily enjoy history, learning about WW1 or WW2 is rather depressing, for example. The history of science is probably the most enjoyable part.

I read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich when it was first available in paperback. It was thicker than any three of my textbooks. Thumbsup[/i]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-04-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm currently living in "Interesting Times", and I ain't real happy about it.
06-04-2017, 01:59 AM

You know, history has let me surprise some people. Did I mention this? I don't recall. But at some point, my mom and I were driving to the store - good half hour drive, mind you - and she said something along the lines of not understanding why there was so much trouble in the middle east (or maybe it was a "why do they hate us" thing.) I spent most of the drive going into, among other things, the various promises made (and not kept) for help during WWI, the division by European interests of borders instead of paying the least bit of attention to national/religious/cultural/sectarian lines and the like.

I may not have remembered all of it correctly but just the reaction from having her tech-support son suddenly regurgitate a history teacher... Big Grin

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
06-04-2017, 02:18 AM
Causality.

Memorizing the exact date of the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor does little but leave you with a potential Trivial Pursuit answer.

Studying the context of the situation, the real political and economic forces at play that lead Japan to roll the dice with their desperate gambit? Learn that, and you come away with real insight into how the world works.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post