How do you explain deaf people being healed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 09:54 AM by jennybee.)
RE: How do you explain deaf people being healed?
(05-03-2017 09:40 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Why do Christians wear hearing aids or have operations to hear again? Why are there Cochlear Implants?

As a former Christian, we never lost sleep over that question. And I think we atheists embarrass ourselves when we use this argument. It's a straw man. Christians don't expect God to heal every single disease

I don't think atheists embarrass themselves at all with that statement. It's a fair point and is a question used to assist a person to turn on their thinking skills and propels them (in some cases) into rational thought. For instance, why would God only heal a select few diseases?--if one takes off their God glasses, it clearly showcases evidence of probability of natural occurrences and less evidence of divine intervention.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-03-2017, 09:49 AM
(05-03-2017 09:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:40 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  As a former Christian, we never lost sleep over that question. And I think we atheists embarrass ourselves when we use this argument. It's a straw man. Christians don't expect God to heal every single disease

Why not - he supposedly creates them all.

Makes him kind of a jerk, doncha think. He randomly causes illnesses in people that he could prevent and he only 'heals' certain people when he supposedly has the power to heal them all.

Sounds like he's just moving pieces around on a chess board.

That's another straw man bro. What Christian do you know believes God causes all diseases?....
05-03-2017, 09:49 AM
(05-03-2017 09:35 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  How do you know they were deaf in the first place?

I'm fed up to my eyeballs with that healer crap.

I don't. But people who knew him for years testify that he had been deaf. They could all be lying, but if this man was lying then he's a REALLY good actor.

People who are in this line of "work" are good actors. That's the whole point. If they sucked at their "job" they wouldn't be believable and there goes any money or accolades they are receiving. Con artists (even non-religious ones) are good at what they do. That is why con artists are often very successful, they know how to massage their victims and put on a show.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-03-2017, 09:51 AM
(05-03-2017 09:35 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  How do you know they were deaf in the first place?

I'm fed up to my eyeballs with that healer crap.

I don't. But people who knew him for years testify that he had been deaf. They could all be lying, but if this man was lying then he's a REALLY good actor.

> He wouldn't have to be an actor. According to the comments section of the video, he had partial hearing. It would only be necessary for him, in a fit of enthusiasm, to imagine that his hearing had improved to give everyone the initial impression that a cure had taken place.

> It is interesting to note that Todd White has several videos on YouTube in which he presents an extensive repertoire of excuses to offer whenever miraculous healings do NOT take place at his services.
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
(05-03-2017 09:49 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why not - he supposedly creates them all.

Makes him kind of a jerk, doncha think. He randomly causes illnesses in people that he could prevent and he only 'heals' certain people when he supposedly has the power to heal them all.

That's another straw man bro. What Christian do you know believes God causes all diseases?....

Awww...you called me bro.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
(05-03-2017 09:35 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I don't. But people who knew him for years testify that he had been deaf.

Or so they say. Both in terms of knowing them for years as for being deaf.
05-03-2017, 09:53 AM
(05-03-2017 09:49 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why not - he supposedly creates them all.

Actually, many Christians I know (myself included as an x-tian) believe(d) that disease, pain, suffering entered the world as a result of sin.

05-03-2017, 09:56 AM
The fact that there is no God is so powerful it can cause a deaf person to see.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
(05-03-2017 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  People who are in this line of "work" are good actors. That's the whole point. If they sucked at their "job" they wouldn't be believable and there goes any money or accolades they are receiving. Con artists (even non-religious ones) are good at what they do. That is why con artists are often very successful, they know how to massage their victims and put on a show.

That's a great point. I guess my only contention would be, is it safe then to just assume he's a liar?... I mean.. At most, all we can say is that we lack evidence that he's telling the truth. But that's not the same as saying he therefore must be a liar, right?
05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
There's three kinds of "faith healing".

False, fake and utter bullshit.

The differences are very subtle.

It takes faith to believe that........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post