How do you explain deaf people being healed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: How do you explain deaf people being healed?
(05-03-2017 10:47 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If you have 'lost' your faith, why would you still think that faith healing is real?

I don't think it's real. I just have no explanation.. and while I understand that that's not a rational response, when you just recently left the faith you tend to look for natural explanations of the supernatural.. and when you can't find any, faith tries to creep back in.

That man did NOT pray away the deaf...if such a thing were possible there wouldn't be audiologists, hearing aids, cochlear implants, or sign language.

It's really pretty simple. Faith healing isn't a thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
(05-03-2017 10:58 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:51 AM)julep Wrote:  I'm not convinced either way, yet. Each new post pushes me a little farther in the liar for Jesus direction. But if you're on the level, it should be pretty easy to do your own research on faith healing scams, psychic/paranormal scams, confirmation bias, and most especially the differences between magical thinking and critical thinking. It seems to me that because you liked this guy (you should understand that most conmen have excellent people skills), you're looking for reasons to believe this guy's claims. That already makes it less likely that you are going to assess the situation correctly.

I honestly use this site to consult other atheists on how they would explain the things I can't explain. But yes, being that I've met this guy & followed his ministry, Im sure I subconsciously look for reasons to believe him.

You want to believe a con artist? Maybe you should continue to find other people to look up to.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

05-03-2017, 11:07 AM
(05-03-2017 10:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You want to believe a con artist? Maybe you should continue to find other people to look up to.

If I thought he was a con artist then this wouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of faith healers who are obvious frauds & since then I've stopped believing in them. This was the only guy left who seemed too genuine to be fake. But after reading everyone's comments, a lot of great points were made, so I'm really starting to question this guy
05-03-2017, 11:09 AM
(05-03-2017 11:07 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You want to believe a con artist? Maybe you should continue to find other people to look up to.

If I thought he was a con artist then this wouldn't be an issue. There are plenty of faith healers who are obvious frauds & since then I've stopped believing in them. This was the only guy left who seemed too genuine to be fake. But after reading everyone's comments, a lot of great points were made, so I'm really starting to question this guy

No...one...can...pray...away....hearing loss. Period, end of story. What part of this is hard for you?

He is genuine...genuinely a con and a charlatan.

05-03-2017, 11:10 AM
(05-03-2017 10:47 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If you have 'lost' your faith, why would you still think that faith healing is real?

I don't think it's real. I just have no explanation.. and while I understand that that's not a rational response, when you just recently left the faith you tend to look for natural explanations of the supernatural.. and when you can't find any, faith tries to creep back in.

It's brainwashing. It's the default when you don't immediately have an answer when your brain has been conditioned that way.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-03-2017, 11:13 AM
(05-03-2017 11:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:47 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I don't think it's real. I just have no explanation.. and while I understand that that's not a rational response, when you just recently left the faith you tend to look for natural explanations of the supernatural.. and when you can't find any, faith tries to creep back in.

It's brainwashing. It's the default when you don't immediately have an answer when your brain has been conditioned that way.

If, as DT states, he no longer believes in god then how is it he still believes in faith healing/healers? Belief in god is sort of at the core of that.

05-03-2017, 11:19 AM
(05-03-2017 11:13 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If, as DT states, he no longer believes in god then how is it he still believes in faith healing/healers? Belief in god is sort of at the core of that.

There are people still afraid of the dark who don't believe in monsters/ghosts.... that same analogy is true for me. For example, although I don't believe in God, I still fear hell every now n then. I don't know if you've ever been a Christian but faith is not a switch you can just turn off
[+] 2 users Like DoubtingThomas's post
05-03-2017, 11:23 AM
(05-03-2017 11:19 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 11:13 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If, as DT states, he no longer believes in god then how is it he still believes in faith healing/healers? Belief in god is sort of at the core of that.

There are people still afraid of the dark who don't believe in monsters/ghosts.... that same analogy is true for me. For example, although I don't believe in God, I still fear hell every now n then. I don't know if you've ever been a Christian but faith is not a switch you can just turn off

How can you believe that someone is healed by something you claim not to believe in?

Do you see how this makes no sense?

You don't believe in god but you think faith healing...which requires a belief in god...could be a thing.

I suck at math but this doesn't add up.

To break it down further...the man in that video wasn't healed of anything unless it was an empty wallet. What he got from the experience was some cash.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2017, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 11:52 AM by kim.)
(05-03-2017 09:35 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 09:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  How do you know they were deaf in the first place?

I'm fed up to my eyeballs with that healer crap.

I don't. But people who knew him for years testify that he had been deaf. They could all be lying, but if this man was lying then he's a REALLY good actor.

Hey ... maybe there really are aliens who came here to tell that actress in that film that she is a person who can see the future.

Consider But ... that actress didn't even win an academy award for her roll ... she wasn't even nominated! Well then, she must not be a very good actress ... or ... maybe there really are aliens! Shocking

I just don't know what to think anymore. Sadcryface2

The video link you posted DT, was created, produced and posted by none other than ... Todd White - Lifestyle Christianity.

Just from the name of this YouTube channel, I'm going to bet this Todd White fellow isn't selling tooth paste. That's just a guess. BUT if he was selling tooth paste ... I'm seriously going to bet you will buy his tooth paste. Shy

millions and millions of others will buy his tooth paste, too

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-03-2017, 11:26 AM
(05-03-2017 11:07 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  

Just because someone says something is true, doesn't mean it's true. I understand coming out of brainwashing from Christianity can be difficult. One of the things that helped me was to listen to what you are saying.

Put it in these terms: Either this person is a con artist or he is a faith healer, who has been blessed by a magical, invisible, sky leprechaun to go out and heal random people (which the magical sky leprechaun could do on his own but somehow blessed this special snowflake instead).

Additionally his cure rate ranges on the same level of probability as one would expect from natural occurrences of medical treatments, overall health of individual.

Lastly, let's take this out of the religious realm to further show you the absurdity. Remember, you've been conditioned to believe religion equals magic. It's your default setting. If I told you I just healed a person by standing on my head and saying "Bibbidi- Bobbidi-Boo" and the person was cured, would you believe me? Why not? The person was cured. Or would you be thinking, um, yeah, Jenny the person was cured due to the experienced medical staff, not your headstand prowess and your proclivity for (Cinderella) chants Tongue And, I chant a lot for yoga purposes, so I'm quite good at it, but healer good, yeah, no Wink
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post