How do you explain deaf people being healed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
RE: How do you explain deaf people being healed?
(05-03-2017 09:18 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I'm a recent atheist, but sometimes I come across things that make me question. There's plenty of fake healers out there, but this guy is the only one who does things I can't explain. I've met him in person & he's really the most genuine guy I've ever met. How would you explain a miracle like this?

The video is, of course, a complete load of horse shit. This arsewipe reckons he can channel his god's power to partially heal some old guy's alleged deafness, but he's never cured a little kid dying of leukemia? Yeah, that sound par for the course.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-03-2017, 03:45 PM
My brother has fallen in with a religious movement which claims to perform faith healing. Not surprising really because we were both raised in the belief that my grandmother was a faith healer.

I asked him why can't a car be fixed. He replied that a car can be fixed. But then why is it always complicated systems, and why always systems that can naturally heal themselves. It always requires subjective evaluation to determine whether someone has been healed. It's never a severed spinal cord or a limb growing back. And if a car can be fixed, a complex system, then why not something simpler such as simple telekinesis of a single bolt moving across a desk. Surely that should be easier than a complicated system which would require a third party to sense, analyse as to what it wrong, come up with an answer how to fix then rearrange its constituent part in order to do so?

The simplest answer is that complex mechanical systems such as cars heat up, expand and contract when they cool down (after lots of prayer has taken place). A single cell is an incredibly complex machine and a collection of cells even more so. Biological systems heal, and maintain themselves over time, but there is a limit to this. Which is why we never see severed spinal cords reattach or limbs regrown.

My brother basically said that faith healing can't happen in front of a sceptic in lab conditions because that would be God removing free will, but then how is that different from faith healing of a believer? God would be removing their free will to question their own beliefs.

And why can't a sceptic look on as a third party neutral observer while the believers heal themselves in controlled lab conditions? The simplest explanation that covers all this is that a subjective interpretation of whether someone is healed or not is influenced by peer pressure and cognitive bias.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
06-03-2017, 01:38 AM
... or a broken Bullshit Detector.
06-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Having no explanation is absolutely fine.

It's being uncomfortable with this, and having to engineer explanations that aren't based on evidence, that leads to all the woo.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
06-03-2017, 05:37 AM
How do you explain deaf people being healed?
I explain deaf people getting healed from god in the same way I explain amputee people getting healed.

One is just more visually obvious than the other.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post