How do you explain this to a Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
RE: How do you explain this to a Christian?
(03-05-2014 03:42 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 10:42 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  One problem with the "evolution is statistically impossible" argument is that evolution is not in fact random.

I have heard apologists say something similar about our planet. Just close enough to the sun for liquid water with Jupiter to swallow asteroids and and the moon to control our tides and ect. Theist often tend to take an ego first perspective; what is the probability that all these things could happen in the right order so I can be alive? That's like making a hundred dice rolls and saying what is the probability I got this combination of numbers? Pretty low, but they are examining the result and asking what is the probability that, instead of examining the intermediate steps and asking what is the probability of each outcome.

Also, and as wazzel said, a lack of belief in one claim (ex evolution) does not provide support for another claim (ex creationism).

You make a very good point here, and your point exposes a double-standard in their reasoning.

Christians often cite "the will of God" when they talk about how xyz came to happen in their own lives, which is quite often a rather interesting progression of events. Now what are the odds of things in your life happening this way, after you already beat the sperm/egg/timing odds of even existing yourself in the first place? Pretty freakin' slim. Statistically impossible in the grand scheme of things perhaps? But... but didn't it happen this way anyway? Oh wait... God.

Would you say you were a reasonable woman, i.e. a woman open to reason?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Are they trying to say its so very rare to have all of these conditions for life to appear in one place that it must be true that a god made it this way.

Counter with this idea. An infinite number of monkeys randomly typing letters on a keyboard will produce one monkey who types out every piece of written literature that mankind will ever produce. Its a very rare occurrence but when you have lots of stuff and lots of time, you will find that rare events happen all the time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
(03-05-2014 06:10 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Are they trying to say its so very rare to have all of these conditions for life to appear in one place that it must be true that a god made it this way.

Pretty muchly. Well, many ARE saying that. Others are saying a version of that along with other things.
The monkeys you mention really are working just on chance. Natural selection isn't pure chance though. Natural selection involves actual cause>effect. Many Christians don't seem to realize this, though that's not always the fault of the individual (indoctrination, mental abuse, etc).

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
03-05-2014, 06:33 PM
(03-05-2014 03:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 03:42 PM)Charis Wrote:  You make a very good point here, and your point exposes a double-standard in their reasoning.

Christians often cite "the will of God" when they talk about how xyz came to happen in their own lives, which is quite often a rather interesting progression of events. Now what are the odds of things in your life happening this way, after you already beat the sperm/egg/timing odds of even existing yourself in the first place? Pretty freakin' slim. Statistically impossible in the grand scheme of things perhaps? But... but didn't it happen this way anyway? Oh wait... God.

Would you say you were a reasonable woman, i.e. a woman open to reason?

No.

No, I'm an idiot. I'm so unreasonable that I won't even fold your socks. I'm not open to reason at all. I'm a total feminazi too. I vote Democratic one election and Republican the next. I will scream at you for eating meat. I use Bibles as tire-traction for my car when I'm stuck in the snow, and I picket for Muslim rights. You will NEVER hear a reasonable word out of my mouth.

I also smell like B.O. and tuna.

Trust me, Jeremy, you want nothing to do with me. And you shouldn't trust me, either, because every sentence out of my mouth is one sort of blasphemy or another. I also ride a beast to and from my social picketing site, and there are 10 stars encircling my head. I carry a cup of wine in my hand, and I've slept with most of the world's leaders.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
03-05-2014, 07:10 PM
(03-05-2014 06:33 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 03:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Would you say you were a reasonable woman, i.e. a woman open to reason?

No.

No, I'm an idiot. I'm so unreasonable that I won't even fold your socks. I'm not open to reason at all. I'm a total feminazi too. I vote Democratic one election and Republican the next. I will scream at you for eating meat. I use Bibles as tire-traction for my car when I'm stuck in the snow, and I picket for Muslim rights. You will NEVER hear a reasonable word out of my mouth.

Trust me, Jeremy, you want nothing to do with me. And you shouldn't trust me, either, because every sentence out of my mouth is one sort of blasphemy or another. I also ride a beast to and from my social picketing site, and there are 10 stars encircling my head. I carry a cup of wine in my hand, and I've slept with most of the world's leaders.

Never has one spoken so plainly and I believe every word you have written.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeremy E Walker's post
03-05-2014, 07:12 PM
(03-05-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Never has one spoken so plainly and I believe every word you have written.

Come here for a nice big HUG, Jeremy. Hug

03-05-2014, 07:21 PM
(03-05-2014 06:33 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 03:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Would you say you were a reasonable woman, i.e. a woman open to reason?

No.

How are you still looking for a job? You could be a writer for Saturday Night Live Tongue Hug

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
(03-05-2014 10:05 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Lack of disproof for one thing does not equal proof of another. If they feel evolution is not mathematically provable fine and dandy, but that does not mean it proves creation.

Ask them what the statistical odds might be for the fucking invisible sky-daddy they have invented to have poofed everything into existence 6,000 years ago.

Talk about mathematical improbabilities!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!