How do you feel about animal conservation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 08:58 AM
How do you feel about animal conservation?
I just went to the zoo with my cousins. I haven't been to a zoo in a long time, probably 7 or 8 years, but I felt a bit conflicted about the idea of animal conservation, especially when it involves capturing wild animals for research. I can understand the importance of conservation (Endangered animals aren't going to prevent themselves from going extinct. Since humans are aware of the dwindling populations, and aware of the adverse effects that we're having on their habitats, a lot of us feel like we owe it to these animals to keep them around). However, when I read something like "we need to save these majestic creatures," I can't help but think "Oh, so the real reason we want to save THIS species because WE find them 'majestic,' whatever that means." That makes me feel just slightly selfish. Undecided

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: How do you feel about animal conservation?
It tends to make me feel uncomfortable. It can be a good thing, but like with anything, it can be taken too far.

One thing I hate is the ringing and tagging of wild animals.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2015, 06:19 AM
RE: How do you feel about animal conservation?
I'm more for saving ecosystems than saving species, but that said biodiversity is important. Any species lost is tragic and we are in the middle of a major extinction event at the moment... no points for guessing the cause. Are we willing to go the way of science fiction and become a society that completely inhabits our globe and leaves no room for other species?

Moreover with the loss of ecosystems we lose services that those ecosystems are providing to our species. In some cases we are destroying the cheapest means of producing a given ecological service because the people responsible for the destruction don't have any kind of signal (economic or otherwise) that values those services. What we in theory should be valuing as a society isn't filtering down to the level where actual land use decisions are being made.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post