How do you fix gun violence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2017, 07:37 AM
RE: How do you fix gun violence
[Image: asteroid-impact-dinosaur-extinction.jpg?...000.cf.jpg]

Seriously, so long as humans remain a violent species and so long as there are guns, there is no way to end gun violence.

At best, with harsher regulations and restrictions, better mental health care, and better social standards, we can certainly mitiagate most of the gun related deaths and injuries. But really, we need to fix people if we want to get anywhere with this.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
06-10-2017, 07:38 AM
You said "humans", not "Americans".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-10-2017, 07:41 AM
(06-10-2017 07:38 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You said "humans", not "Americans".

Gun violence is a bigger problem in the US than other developed nations for sure, but humans in general suck.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
06-10-2017, 07:54 AM
(06-10-2017 06:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  National firearm registry.
-There is no good reason not to at the very least keep track of this stuff.

Agree, why is it that no one seems to care about registering your car with the state and your car isn't designed to kill anything.

(06-10-2017 06:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Severely restrict access to high capacity magazines.
-Sure, have a gun; but you do not need drum magazines to express your 2nd Amendment right (and ironically thanks to Scalia, they're not protected either).

Second this. I think that gun ranges should be allowed to have them so if a patron wants to use a high cap mag, they can rent them. I think that this also should be the case for automatic firearms and bump stocks. Gun ranges only.

(06-10-2017 06:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Reverse the worst wealth disparity since the Gilded Age.
-Nobody but the 1% benefits from them controlling almost all the wealth, and such disparity fuels civil strife.

Reinvest in education and infrastructure.
-People need to know that they have better options than violence, and have access to them.

Nationalize healthcare with a public option.
-So people can get the help they deserve, no more being bankrupted by medical bills.

These sound a bit like red herrings. Can you cite any mass shooting where any of these were a motive? I am not aware of any.

(06-10-2017 06:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Gun violence is both a problem, and a symptom of other problems.

100% agree. However, I think that part of the blame is with the defunding of mental health centers across the country (thanks Reagan). I think that many if not all of these people are mentally ill. Take the most recent shooter, he was a successful multi millionaire with nothing for want so mental illness is the most likely reason at this point (obviously pending the conclusion of the investigation). Sandy Hook? A mentally disturbed man. The Virginia Tech shooter had a diagnosed mental condition. The Santa Monica Shooter had bad, unresolved family issues. Does anyone care to argue that Dylan Roof isn't mentally ill?

If mental health was taken more seriously, more readily available, and it didn't cost a ton of money to do, some of these may have been prevented. A little counselling can go a long way. This does sort of tie into EK's health care point but not quote in the same way. And for the record, EK, I agree with you about the single payer health care I just think that in this case, the lack of treatment for mental illness is much more the reason and not people pissed off by their medical bills.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-10-2017, 08:06 AM
(06-10-2017 07:41 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(06-10-2017 07:38 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You said "humans", not "Americans".

Gun violence is a bigger problem in the US than other developed nations for sure, but humans in general suck.

No, humans in general are total non-entities. They wouldn't stir if you set them on fire.
06-10-2017, 08:13 AM
I could be a wise ass and suggest the cure for gun violence is "clearly superior firepower".

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
06-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Stop making them so easy to get.

Vetting to insure only sane people have them and the mentally ill and criminals don't get them isn't a presumption of guilt, anymore than testing a pilot or doctor is saying, "you'll automatically fail". Would anybody here reading this put up with a violent felon with a United Airlines pilot's licence? Would you be a bit concerned if you were under the care of a doctor whom walked around saying, "I don't feel like living anymore."

Vetting IS NOT a presumption of guilt, and I am tired of this bullshit that sell more and do nothing is working.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Stop oiling the machine. Reverse the SCOTUS decision on soft money, corporations and organizations from contributing to campaigns as though they were individuals. Only individuals may contribute and then limit that amount. As long as money can buy you a vote this will never go away.

[Image: NRA-Gun-Control.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
06-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Study the models of gun control used in other nations. There've got to be some useful ideas there, and tried and tested to boot. Also kill your law that says it's OK for politicians to be bribed by lobby groups. Stop the anti-gun control guys from holding your nation hostage.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-10-2017, 11:15 AM
(06-10-2017 10:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Study the models of gun control used in other nations. There've got to be some useful ideas there, and tried and tested to boot. Also kill your law that says it's OK for politicians to be bribed by lobby groups. Stop the anti-gun control guys from holding your nation hostage.

(06-10-2017 10:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Study the models of gun control used in other nations.

If the US government studied gun control in other countries that would mean that the USA is second best to other countries. That would mean that we, as a nation, would need to admit we don't know what the hell we're doing. We'd have to be humble. Those "We're Number One" and "We're the greatest" slogans don't fit humbleness.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post