How do you interpret this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 06:43 PM
How do you interpret this?
One of my mom's friends just found out I'm no longer a believer. Instead of being an adult about it she decides to keep throwing out little hints that I'm going to hell. Last night she decides to try scare me back in belief by using Matthew chapter 24 where Jesus talks about what's going to happen when he returns. The bible has always seemed like a load of crap to me, but this chapter seems a little too accurate with what's happening in the world. How do you refute this chapter?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: How do you interpret this?
Pick any other time in history and see if it can fit the 'end times' scenario.
You can make almost anything fit if you twist it hard enough.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
08-03-2015, 06:51 PM
I am sure people thought that during WWI, WW2, Vietnam, 9-11, on and on and on...

fear tactics.

link to skeptics annotated bible.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/mt/24.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
08-03-2015, 07:00 PM
(08-03-2015 06:46 PM)pablo Wrote:  Pick any other time in history and see if it can fit the 'end times' scenario.
You can make almost anything fit if you twist it hard enough.

I agree. This is like how people interpret horoscopes or fortune cookies to fit what's going on in their own lives. This chapter would be a lot more impressive if it actually made some specific predictions instead of ambiguous ones.
[+] 2 users Like Hurley4815's post
08-03-2015, 07:01 PM
(08-03-2015 06:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am sure people thought that during WWI, WW2, Vietnam, 9-11, on and on and on...

fear tactics.

I often wondered the same thing about Jesus when I was being forced into church growing up. The bible says that not even Jesus knows when he'll return so how does he know what's going to be going on in world when he does?
[+] 1 user Likes seeker13's post
08-03-2015, 07:01 PM
(08-03-2015 06:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am sure people thought that during WWI, WW2, Vietnam, 9-11, on and on and on...

fear tactics.

Not to mention hundreds of times before that.

This is what led to resurgence of religion during the American civil war.

But context is everything, anyone who lives in violent times can predict more violence in the future.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-03-2015, 07:20 PM
It wasn't our generation that came up with the phrase, "History repeats itself." Nor was it our parents. We've been recording history for a very long time, and so have been aware of its repetitious nature. You need only read a history book to become a prophet.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-03-2015, 07:31 PM
(08-03-2015 06:43 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  One of my mom's friends just found out I'm no longer a believer. Instead of being an adult about it she decides to keep throwing out little hints that I'm going to hell. Last night she decides to try scare me back in belief by using Matthew chapter 24 where Jesus talks about what's going to happen when he returns. The bible has always seemed like a load of crap to me, but this chapter seems a little too accurate with what's happening in the world. How do you refute this chapter?

Put up with it, if you don't care enough about the person to put up with their not so subtle charade then don't hang around them any more.

Do not get into a theological debate with people you care about or family friends, it's insulting to a theist to have someone try to destroy their beliefs. Even if they are in the wrong and they are being sanctimonious pricks, arguing is a lose/lose situation for you.

If you can't avoid them altogether just leave when they start talking religion, don't be subtle. But don't dive out of moving vehicles either. If they ask where you are going be honest, I don't wanna talk religion with you.
[+] 1 user Likes DuffMan's post
08-03-2015, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 08:04 PM by Russ.)
You could point out that in the very chapter she brought up it says:

NASB Matt 24:32-35
32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
09-03-2015, 06:16 AM
You should just say this :

why worry about a speck in my eye when you have a log in your own?