Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 06:31 AM
RE: How do you interpret this?
[Image: a-christian-telling-an-atheist-he-is-goi...ervais.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
09-03-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 11:55 AM by TheInquisition.)
The prediction about famines, pestilences and earthquakes is like saying there will be drinking, dancing and eating.

Bet ya I'm right about that prediction. Thumbsup

I think in a broader historical context, pestilences have been greatly reduced by modern medicine and hygiene practices. Famines are still around, but hunger is simply not the problem that it once was. One of the big problems is obesity in the US, we eat too damn much, this totally contradicts this "prophecy".

There is a downward trend in the Global Hunger Index:

[Image: GHI_2014_regional_comparison.png]

Visual History of Decreasing World Hunger and Increasing Food Provision.

The actual statistics simply refute this.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
(08-03-2015 06:43 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  One of my mom's friends just found out I'm no longer a believer. Instead of being an adult about it she decides to keep throwing out little hints that I'm going to hell. Last night she decides to try scare me back in belief by using Matthew chapter 24 where Jesus talks about what's going to happen when he returns. The bible has always seemed like a load of crap to me, but this chapter seems a little too accurate with what's happening in the world. How do you refute this chapter?

Fortune tellers make a - well, fortune - off of this principle. Keep it general and vague enough and just about anything will seem to fit and the fortune teller has "miraculously" seen your future - just like Jesus.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Light bounces off the object, enters the eye and moves to the brain's visual cortex in the case of sight. Sound waves go into the eardrum then on to the audio part of the brain. That is how we interpret things. What? To pedantic?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2015, 08:54 AM
(08-03-2015 06:43 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  One of my mom's friends just found out I'm no longer a believer. Instead of being an adult about it she decides to keep throwing out little hints that I'm going to hell. Last night she decides to try scare me back in belief by using Matthew chapter 24 where Jesus talks about what's going to happen when he returns. The bible has always seemed like a load of crap to me, but this chapter seems a little too accurate with what's happening in the world. How do you refute this chapter?
She smells fear. As others have pointed out, there's nothing "a little too accurate" about this passage. More like "a lot too vague". Every single generation in the history of humanity has been convinced, particularly in its dotage, that everything is going to hell in a handbasket. Imagine if your grandmother were portentously invoking this passage when Hitler's forces of evil were marching all over the face of the earth, with Hirohito taking advantage of the situation in the orient. Or during the Civil War when men were using hopelessly outdated horseback-and-bayonet warfare tactics in the face of the meatgrinder of modern cannons. Or WW 1, with similar things happening in Europe, plus mustard gas. Or during the Inquisition. Er, wait ...

The world has always been a freak show of horror and death and suffering. That prophecy will work for any era, whatever the concerns / worst fears were at the time. Once you see that, you see you are being played, you're not impressed, your Mom's friend no longer smells fear, no longer gets off on making you queasy, and they will switch to some other less intrusive tactic like shunning and demonizing you.

Eventually you will get wise to all their disingenuous tactics and they will either ignore you or tolerate you.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post