How do you justify stealing something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: How do you justify stealing something?
(08-12-2016 04:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  I will admit at my last job (Arby's) I made and ate a few sandwiches without telling anyone.

What the hell? I always thought that was included with the job. That's justification enough I'd say.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 05:16 PM by Loom.)
(08-12-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 04:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  I will admit at my last job (Arby's) I made and ate a few sandwiches without telling anyone.

What the hell? I always thought that was included with the job. That's justification enough I'd say.

Nope! At least, not where I worked. We did have a half-off discount, but it was only for one meal a day, and even that got expensive.

Meanwhile customers got handed free sandwiches left and right if so much as a sesame seed was out of place.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
(08-12-2016 05:13 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What the hell? I always thought that was included with the job. That's justification enough I'd say.
Nope! At least, not where I worked. We did have a half-off discount, but it was only for one meal a day, and even that got expensive.

I'd have been shoving burgers out the backdoor to the neighborhood.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-12-2016, 05:24 PM
(08-12-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I ate at an Arby's a few months back, and the woman who made my sandwiches was stuffing her face while she made my sandwiches.
08-12-2016, 05:39 PM
(08-12-2016 05:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What the hell? I always thought that was included with the job. That's justification enough I'd say.

I ate at an Arby's a few months back, and the woman who made my sandwiches was stuffing her face while she made my sandwiches.

Ewwww!! I hope you said something, that's a massive health hazard.

At least I had the courtesy to sneak my meals out when I left!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
08-12-2016, 05:40 PM

You weren't supposed to see that.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 06:00 PM

A woman used to do the same thing at one of the coffee shops I used to go to. She would eat a sticky bun and lick her fingers while she made coffees. Yuck. Needless to say, I don't go to that one anymore. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
As a teen, I worked at an amusement park for a summer. This was my first and only job in retail. One night my manager deliberately dropped a pack of Mentos on the counter, breaking the package open, said "Oops!" and gave me some. So I did the same thing all summer about once a week or so. I justified it by noting that my manager was the one who'd done it, so it must be okay, but at the same time I felt really uncomfortable about doing it and regret the behavior.

That was the only time. I have never shoplifted anything and always give the clerk at the register the extra when they give me too much change, call the electric company when there's a weird credit to my bill, contact recipients who haven't cashed outstanding checks, etc. Once I walked out of a store not realizing a pack of batteries was in my shopping cart...I walked them back in and apologized. I've never even taken office supplies home without permission.

When I'm at a coffee shop and the clerk says that I've fallen into one of those pay-it-forward deals, so I don't owe for the coffee, I tell them I'm paying for my coffee, give it to the next person instead.

This not a sign of my being highly ethical, however. I grew up poor, wore donated clothing, ate donated food, was eligible for subsidized lunches, and got mocked and bullied a fair amount because of that. Paying for stuff, being able to pay for it, is really, really important to me. I don't want anyone to be able to point at me and say, "you're the reason the prices at Walgreen's went up." (Not that theft is that big of a driver of price increases--it's a mostly convenient excuse for the boss class to line their pockets even more, IMO.)
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
08-12-2016, 07:42 PM
How do you justify stealing something?
(08-12-2016 04:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  I will admit at my last job (Arby's) I made and ate a few sandwiches without telling anyone. Usually because I hardly had the time or the money driving to college classes before/after work to afford getting something to eat.

I mean really, they were barely paying me more an hour than what a single sandwich costs while coorporate was making bank...so what's a few sandwiches?

I worked at a Hardee's 30 years ago. We had to throw the sandwiches away after 20 minutes. Instead of putting them in the trash can I put a few in my pockets and ate them in my car at lunch break. I didn't figure it was stealing because they were going in the trash anyway. If I had been caught though it would have gotten me fired. Ain't that bull shit?
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
08-12-2016, 07:59 PM
(08-12-2016 07:42 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 04:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  I will admit at my last job (Arby's) I made and ate a few sandwiches without telling anyone. Usually because I hardly had the time or the money driving to college classes before/after work to afford getting something to eat.

I mean really, they were barely paying me more an hour than what a single sandwich costs while coorporate was making bank...so what's a few sandwiches?

I worked at a Hardee's 30 years ago. We had to throw the sandwiches away after 20 minutes. Instead of putting them in the trash can I put a few in my pockets and ate them in my car at lunch break. I didn't figure it was stealing because they were going in the trash anyway. If I had been caught though it would have gotten me fired. Ain't that bull shit?

Yup. And I've eaten food after it was thrown out, in my poorer days. Here's a case where I stole money. I worked at a gas station as a mechanic, on piece work. That means I get paid by the work I do. I got a commission. I'd do work and total up the bill, so I knew what I would be earning at the end of the day. I'd go in the next day, and I'd see that I was getting less credit than for what I worked. This was early on, before I managed the place on the weekends. The weekend manager told me that on the one account (a big one, where we made a ton of money working on their fleet of trucks), the owner told him to only write up half of the work I did. I 'splained that he'd be writing it up correctly, henceforth. Then I talked to the owner, and he hemmed and hawed, but did agree that that was our agreement, then went back to the same behavior. So, I just pocketed some of money that we took in for repairing tires and charging batteries, to even the books. He wants to screw me, fine, I even let him think he was getting away with it. I never took more than the difference between what I was owed and what I actually got. I'm not really proud of that, but fair is fair.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post