How do you justify stealing something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
RE: How do you justify stealing something?
(09-12-2016 02:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um. I'd wager that there aren't that many, as a proportion of the population of poor people in general. I think most people are poor because they're repeatedly screwed over by pretty much everyone, and because people cheerfully then tell them it's their fault. The sad part is, most of those people do believe it. ETA: And I can easily make a case that gambling addiction is something that is encouraged by the gambling industry. Can you really blame someone who's totally fucked for wishing for a better life? It's the same as praying except the money removal is more streamlined than the church.
I can and I do because we are all responsible for our own actions. Those who choose to gamble, smoke or drink away their life savings are no less free agents than we are. There are people with a predisposition to becoming addicted, that much we know, but it's still up to the individual whether or not to take the first step that leads to them becoming addicted (e.g. playing the lottery for the first time). I could be predisposed to becoming a nicotine addict, but I would never know because I chose and continue to choose not to smoke cigarettes. I never have and I never will. All of us have that choice.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-12-2016, 07:24 AM
(08-12-2016 11:37 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  I shoplifted once in my whole life. And it was just part of a product (a tiny cable that was part of a larger bundle at a second hand store where I bought something previously that didn't include said cable). I still feel bad about it.

Now this is what I can't understand. If you're gonna risk getting busted it might as well be over something worth stealing. Not a cable tie.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-12-2016, 07:25 AM
(09-12-2016 07:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 02:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um. I'd wager that there aren't that many, as a proportion of the population of poor people in general. I think most people are poor because they're repeatedly screwed over by pretty much everyone, and because people cheerfully then tell them it's their fault. The sad part is, most of those people do believe it. ETA: And I can easily make a case that gambling addiction is something that is encouraged by the gambling industry. Can you really blame someone who's totally fucked for wishing for a better life? It's the same as praying except the money removal is more streamlined than the church.
I can and I do because we are all responsible for our own actions. Those who choose to gamble, smoke or drink away their life savings are no less free agents than we are. There are people with a predisposition to becoming addicted, that much we know, but it's still up to the individual whether or not to take the first step that leads to them becoming addicted (e.g. playing the lottery for the first time). I could be predisposed to becoming a nicotine addict, but I would never know because I chose and continue to choose not to smoke cigarettes. I never have and I never will. All of us have that choice.

But you can't simply assume someone who is poor is poor necessarily because of their choices. You don't know why they're poor in the vast majority of cases.
09-12-2016, 07:26 AM
(09-12-2016 03:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  I stole a library book once. I kinda hate myself for it still...

If it was a public library you paid for it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-12-2016, 07:33 AM
(09-12-2016 07:25 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  But you can't simply assume someone who is poor is poor necessarily because of their choices. You don't know why they're poor in the vast majority of cases.
I think this in line with what I said in my initial response to Ana.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-12-2016, 09:03 AM

09-12-2016, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 10:47 AM by dancefortwo.)
(09-12-2016 03:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  I stole a library book once. I kinda hate myself for it still...

I've loaned out books to people and never gotten them back. But that's ok, really. I don't mind if someone is enjoying a book I gave them even if I never see again. It's sort of like paying it forward in book form.

When I was a little kid my mother would volunteered at a high school library in which my father was the principal. One time she "borrowed" an old dusty record album of the great speeches from Shakespeare. No one had ever checked it out, not even the English teacher. On it is Richard Burton doing the St Crispin Day speech from Henry V. Well, she "forgot" to take it back and I STILL have it!! That Burton speech is on youtube now but I can't tell you how often I listened to that vinyl album when I was younger.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-12-2016, 11:03 AM
(08-12-2016 02:37 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Have you ever taken something that didn't belong to you and justified it to yourself? What was your justification?

Nope. Never.

Not even a kiss.

Girl_nails

(08-12-2016 03:40 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  ...
streaming movies

Nor that.

Girl_nailsGirl_nails

But mainly because I don'r know how to.

(08-12-2016 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How about taxes??

Nope. Not that either. Girl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nails

Of course, I resent paying when public services are sub-par. But I don't object to paying for services I don't use (e.g. NHS).

In Singapore, where public services are exceptional, it's not only a duty to pay tax ... I consider it an honour.

No. Not even that. Girl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nails

You people are scum!

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-12-2016, 12:02 PM
(09-12-2016 11:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 02:37 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Have you ever taken something that didn't belong to you and justified it to yourself? What was your justification?

Nope. Never.

Not even a kiss.

Girl_nails

(08-12-2016 03:40 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  ...
streaming movies

Nor that.

Girl_nailsGirl_nails

But mainly because I don'r know how to.

(08-12-2016 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How about taxes??

Nope. Not that either. Girl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nails

Of course, I resent paying when public services are sub-par. But I don't object to paying for services I don't use (e.g. NHS).

In Singapore, where public services are exceptional, it's not only a duty to pay tax ... I consider it an honour.

No. Not even that. Girl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nailsGirl_nails

You people are scum!

Angel

Dodgy Fekkin' goody two-shoes Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
09-12-2016, 01:46 PM
(09-12-2016 07:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I can and I do because we are all responsible for our own actions. Those who choose to gamble, smoke or drink away their life savings are no less free agents than we are. There are people with a predisposition to becoming addicted, that much we know, but it's still up to the individual whether or not to take the first step that leads to them becoming addicted (e.g. playing the lottery for the first time). I could be predisposed to becoming a nicotine addict, but I would never know because I chose and continue to choose not to smoke cigarettes. I never have and I never will. All of us have that choice.

You're telling me that if you had nothing but a dollar fifty in change to rub together you'd be able to force yourself to walk on past that wide open door where they *advertise* life-changing dreams? Oh by the way you're not educated, no sir, you are almost illiterate. All your life you've been trodden on. And here's the golden dream *right in front of you* and you can give it a whirl. You're that one in a million guy? I don't deny, there are those who can. But to blame those who don't. I find that a bit... daft. I'll rather blame the gambling industry that think it's ethical to do that kind of thing, to offer those dreams for sale.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.