How do you love w/o obeying god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 08:13 PM
RE: How do you love w/o obeying god?
(15-10-2015 07:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 07:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Honestly. I really appreciate everyone. Yes... I am a Christian but I am here basically for three reasons:

1. To better understand why people turn away from Christianity.

2. To play devil's advocate in order to keep the discussion stimulating.

3. To politely correct people if they say something that is not true about scripture or the scripture is taken out of context.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I know I probably drove people crazy but I hope I did not come across as rude or offensive.

If you're truly here to understand us better, and to gather information, and to be a part of this community (even as "The Loyal Opposition", so to speak), than you are more than welcome. You may have misjudged your initial approach, however.

We get about a dozen new Christians a month who come in here, absolutely convinced they already know everything about atheists because their preachers informed them about how we really are (they typically know worse than nothing), absolutely convinced that they know their scriptures better than any of us here (we have some poor scolars on Biblical doctrine, but many of us are ex-Christian and well-educated on the subject), and/or absolutely convinced that they can "win us over to Jesus" if they just poke and prod us enough.

Some quickly cross the line from "poking and prodding to get to the truth" (as they see it) to simply being trolls, here to make atheists mad, because hey after all, we're The Enemy™. When it gets to the point we can't tell if they're really as fanatical as they're seeming to be, or just here to mess with us, we call that "A Poe", after Poe's Law, which states "it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between parodies of fundamentalism or other extreme views and their genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane".

On the other hand, we do not actually discriminate against people for being believers only, so long as they are honest about what they do and do not know, actually do their best to learn the facts about us rather than the common misconceptions out there, and treat us like human beings. We're likely to pick on you about your beliefs, and vice versa, but you'll notice quickly that there's a difference in tone between the way we speak to those who are kind-hearted and decent to us, versus those who feel we make legitimate targets simply because we're not members of The One True Religion™.

I hope you are sincere in your desire to really become part of this community; if so, let me be the first to welcome you. Smile
When I lived in California I had a roommate who was atheist. I didn't mind and I wasn't offended. I know it is foolish to try to convert an atheist by using the bible because obviously they don't believe the bible. I don't try to bash my bible on there heads and threaten them with talk of fire and brimstone but rather do what the bible says. It says to be the light in the darkness for the lost to find their way. It means to set the example for others to follow. That is something that most christians don't understand.
I believe Gandhi said it best..."I love your Christ. But your Christians, not so much".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jason_delisle's post
15-10-2015, 08:21 PM
That's something of a paraphrase of what Gandhi actually said, as I understand it, but I've always liked that sentiment. I also like the other quotation often attributed to him, that when he was asked what he thought of Western Civilization, he quipped, "I think that would be an excellent idea."

According to the discussion forums of Snopes.com, a myth-busting website, the notion of Gandhi's ideas about Christianity came from a book called The Christ of the Indian Road, by E. Stanley Jones, in a review published in the papers by Reverend W. P. King of the First Methodist Church of Gainesville, Georgia:

Quote:Dr. Jones says that the greatest hindrance to the Christian gospel in India is a dislike for western domination, western snobbery, the western theological system, western militarism and western race prejudice. Gandhi, the great prophet of India, said, "I love your Christ, but I dislike your Christianity." The embarrassing fact is that India judges us by our own professed standard. In reply to a question of Dr. Jones as to how it would be possible to bring India to Christ, Gandhi replied: First, I would suggest that all of you Christians live more like Jesus Christ. Second, I would suggest that you practice your Christianity without adulterating it. The anomalous situation is that most of us would be equally shocked to see Christianity doubted or put into practice. Third, I would suggest that you put more emphasis on love, for love is the soul and center of Christianity. Fourth, I would suggest that you study the non-Christian religions more sympathetically in order to find the good that is in them, so that you might have a more sympathetic approach to the people.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 08:28 PM
15-10-2015, 08:36 PM
(15-10-2015 07:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Honestly. I really appreciate everyone. Yes... I am a Christian but I am here basically for three reasons:

3. To politely correct people if they say something that is not true about scripture or the scripture is taken out of context.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I know I probably drove people crazy but I hope I did not come across as rude or offensive.

I would be curious to know why you have turned away from rational thought and critical thinking ?
Why have you turned away from the hundreds of other gods out there ? Why do you reject them ?

We will do our best to correct you when you are wrong about reality. You can try to correct us about the delusion you have inside your head, but truthfully that's really your probkem, not ours.

Welcome to TTA. I hope you are open to learning why you are wrong.

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
15-10-2015, 08:46 PM
(15-10-2015 08:36 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

I would be curious to know why you have turned away from rational thought and critical thinking ?
Why have you turned away from the hundreds of other gods out there ? Why do you reject them ?

We will do our best to correct you when you are wrong about reality. You can try to correct us about the delusion you have inside your head, but truthfully that's really your probkem, not ours.

Welcome to TTA. I hope you are open to learning why you are wrong.

Smile
I believe in challenging the scriptures. To test them. God actually commanded Christians to challenge the prophets and the scriptures. The only thin it says not to do is to but God to the test...aka say if God is real you will...fill in the blank. When I question the bible I have to approach it with three things that have to be true... God is all powerful, all knowing, and all present. When I began to test them it only further solidified my faith. I would be happy for anyone to ask me any questions. I will be honest if I don't know something but I will find the answer for you.
15-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Sorry for the spelling errors. I am texting this on my phone and I have fat fingers. Lol
15-10-2015, 08:54 PM
(15-10-2015 08:48 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Sorry for the spelling errors. I am texting this on my phone and I have fat fingers. Lol

I gave up trying to use my phone for this forum, since it's clear that my AutoCorrect hates me.

Blush

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-10-2015, 09:43 PM
(15-10-2015 05:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.

Not really. The first post was about another forum's post about this issue. So, of course, seeing as the majority of the people on the other site are one of the thousands of flavors of Christianity, that's what the question was.

Also, keep in mind that atheists generally have a better chance of getting banned on Christian sites than theists here. So, no, it's not necessarily a forum for the sole purpose of making fun of theists. Now, should said theist act like a fool (Egor, anyone?) then yes, it's par for the course. Smile

As for the turning away from Christianity, that's not quite what happened. Sure, you could say that, but for many of us, it wasn't a sudden knee-jerk decision to turn our backs on religion. It was a slow progression of realizing certain facts.

But, hey, I'm new here, so what do I know? Smile
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
16-10-2015, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 02:02 AM by Szuchow.)
(15-10-2015 05:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Are you even really trying to find answers about why people believe the things you find so foolish?

This is question answered long time ago. Indoctrination is cause of belief and I guess arrogance and lack of criticall thinking are reason to not throw said indoctrination away.

Thinking oneself crown of creation who have special relation with maker of universe can be best thing since sliced bread for some I would say.

(15-10-2015 05:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why not go to a christian forum and ask them?

What would be the point if answer is already known?

(15-10-2015 05:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Because honestly there are some very legitimate and deep questions that would be better answered on those sites.

Like what? If god in 3 bodies or whatever you people believe is still monotheism? Or how virgin gave birth? Or maybe how genocide by primitive, tribal god shows said primitive, tribal god love for man?

(15-10-2015 05:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.

Consequences? Church lost the power to burn people on the stakes so those consequences are nothing more than idiots screaming about hell.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
16-10-2015, 02:08 AM
Jason,
How and why was the first bible put together ?
Who decided which books would be in the bible and which ones wouldn't ?
Did a god ever command people to construct a bible ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results