How do you love w/o obeying god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: How do you love w/o obeying god?
(13-10-2015 03:39 PM)EvieTheTurtle Wrote:  Of course you love without obeying any god the same way you love any other day, god obviously doesn't come into it.

When debates are started with really stupid and clearly biased questions like that it really bothers me too. It often feels almost like a loaded question even if it doesn't technically quite reach that level of fallacy. It just has that funny "ugh, not this shit" feeling to it you know?

That's a great point. Everyone who loves anyone does so without a god because theism is false to begin with. There are no gods and we all love stuff so love is a purely Human action. Just another thing that is not explained any better by appealing to imaginary beings.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
13-10-2015, 04:44 PM
(13-10-2015 03:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  You may not be doing the killing yourself, but your god endorses it.
My God never endorsed me to kill someone. So, I can ask about love non-believers.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
13-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Everything I do is without obeying god, never met the guy. Never spoke with him on the telephone or even recieved a letter.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
13-10-2015, 07:45 PM
(13-10-2015 04:44 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 03:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  You may not be doing the killing yourself, but your god endorses it.
My God never endorsed me to kill someone. So, I can ask about love non-believers.

That's odd...I was under the impression you were a Christian. Sorry, my mistake. Blush

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-10-2015, 08:16 AM
1 John 4:7–12
God Is Love
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
14-10-2015, 08:28 AM
(14-10-2015 08:16 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  1 John 4:7–12
God Is Love
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.

Bigfoot Is Love
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from Bigfoot, and whoever loves has been born of Bigfoot and knows Bigfoot. Anyone who does not love does not know Bigfoot, because Bigfoot is love. In this the love of Bigfoot was made manifest among us, that Bigfoot sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved Bigfoot but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if Bigfoot so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen Bigfoot; if we love one another, Bigfoot abides in us and his love is perfected in us.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
14-10-2015, 08:32 AM
(14-10-2015 08:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:16 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  1 John 4:7–12
God Is Love

Bigfoot Is Love
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from Bigfoot, and whoever loves has been born of Bigfoot and knows Bigfoot. Anyone who does not love does not know Bigfoot, because Bigfoot is love. In this the love of Bigfoot was made manifest among us, that Bigfoot sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved Bigfoot but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if Bigfoot so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen Bigfoot; if we love one another, Bigfoot abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
My post was an answer to the question. The scripture states that you don't have to be a Christian nor do you even have to know Christ in order to love. But because the bible says that God is love anyone who has the capacity to love knows God.
14-10-2015, 08:47 AM
(14-10-2015 08:32 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Bigfoot Is Love
My post was an answer to the question. The scripture states that you don't have to be a Christian nor do you even have to know Christ in order to love. But because the bible says that God is love anyone who has the capacity to love knows God.

Ahh christians... Such a creative lot, aren't they?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-10-2015, 08:56 AM
"Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
Be ever seeing, but never perceiving."
Make the heart of his people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed."

Isaiah 6: 10-11

Yesterday I was in a bible study and the question was asked " How does our circumstances effect the way we approach the bible?" I responded to the question by asking "Have you ever found that some days you read the bible and it doesn't make sense and other times it feels the scripture is alive and God is speaking directly to you? Why is that?" I began to think about Mark 4:10-11.

Jesus was surrounded by a crowd of people who genuinely thirst for God's word...but there were also Jewish officials who sought to trap and discredit him. Jesus began to speak in parables. To the followers, the parables made sense and they began to grow in wisdom and understanding. However, the pharisees were completely confused and thought Jesus was speaking nonsense. Jesus was then asked why he was speaking in parables and he responded, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!".

What it all comes down to is what is in your heart when you read scripture. In James 1 it is said that if anyone lacks wisdom all you have to do is ask and it will be given generously. However, as we read in Hebrews 11, we learn the vital role faith plays in our relationship with God and his word. It is said in Hebrews 11:6, "and without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

Faith is defined in Hebrews 11 as "confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see". As you can see, faith is critical to understanding God's word because without it our heart is calloused and the word sounds like nonsense.

"Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven" Matthew 18:3. We ought to approach the bible with the faith of a child just like a child has unquestionable faith and trust in their parents. I recommend that before you read scripture, pray for God to remove the callous from your heart and remove any doubt and scepticism you have. To fill your heart with his Holy Spirit so that the fog over your eyes will be lifted and your ears will not be dull. Ask God to speak to you through his written word and guide you so that you may receive the wisdom you thirst for.
14-10-2015, 09:03 AM
How do you love w/o obeying god?
The Great Pumpkin is Love
Not only does it give me yummy pumpkins to make pies, it has a plant that spreads out, just like love. Plant spreads and brings pumpkins. Love spreads and brings goodwill. Coincidence? I think not.

Not only that, it gives me something to carve into funny or scary faces. People will laugh at the faces, which brings them together.

Furthermore pumpkins are associated with pumpkin spice treats. Not much says love than a bunch of happy girls in cute autumn wear drinking pumpkin spice concoctions.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post