How do you love w/o obeying god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 04:18 PM
RE: How do you love w/o obeying god?
(14-10-2015 07:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  ...
Jesus said that there is no greater love than to die for friends. (action)

So, given that your idol got this bit wrong, does it invalidate all the sayings attributed to him?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 04:24 PM
(14-10-2015 10:43 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The questions was "How do you love without obeying God?" The answer is you can't because God commanded everyone to love.

"How do you shit without obeying Cthulu?" The answer is you can't because Cthulu commanded everyone to shit.

Dude do you even logic.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-10-2015, 04:54 PM
(15-10-2015 04:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:43 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The questions was "How do you love without obeying God?" The answer is you can't because God commanded everyone to love.

"How do you shit without obeying Cthulu?" The answer is you can't because Cthulu commanded everyone to shit.

Dude do you even logic.
Try reading the rest of my posts. It might make more sense for you. The point was (and I am only referencing scripture because the question was asked about God) is that love is an action not a feeling. To ask "how do I love without obeying God?" is like asking "How do I do exactly what God told me to do and not do what God commanded me?". Where is the logic in that question?
15-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Here is a question for everyone. Why ask questions about God on an athiest forum? Are you even really trying to find answers about why people believe the things you find so foolish? Why not go to a christian forum and ask them? Because honestly there are some very legitimate and deep questions that would be better answered on those sites.
15-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Oh we're not going to talk about the Pagan lady who died in The Name of The Goddess, now?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-10-2015, 05:08 PM
(15-10-2015 05:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Here is a question for everyone. Why ask questions about God on an athiest forum? Are you even really trying to find answers about why people believe the things you find so foolish? Why not go to a christian forum and ask them? Because honestly there are some very legitimate and deep questions that would be better answered on those sites.

I assure you, if we were not surrounded by a culture of religious fanatics (especially where I am, in the USA's "Bible Belt"), none of us would ever think about this kind of stuff, except maybe in an abstract way while seriously stoned.

Which might be often, granted, since weed would probably have been legal decades ago.

But when we get "how can you be moral" and "don't you know the power of Jayzus?" and "don't you know that those people died for their beliefs!?" thrown at us ceaselessly, we wind up having to discuss a lot of claims made by our neighbors, learn a lot of facts little known to those neighbors, and refute a lot of bullshit.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 05:09 PM
(15-10-2015 05:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Here is a question for everyone. Why ask questions about God on an athiest forum? Are you even really trying to find answers about why people believe the things you find so foolish? Why not go to a christian forum and ask them? Because honestly there are some very legitimate and deep questions that would be better answered on those sites.

Why not go to a christian forum?

If the majority of theists that have come here can be treated as a representative sample, all one might find are people quoting a book to prove the book and meaningless platitudes born from ultimately unfounded presumptions.

If they can't, then that's a different story.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-10-2015, 05:10 PM
(15-10-2015 04:54 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 04:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "How do you shit without obeying Cthulu?" The answer is you can't because Cthulu commanded everyone to shit.

Dude do you even logic.
Try reading the rest of my posts. It might make more sense for you.

Why should I read the rest of your posts? Are you suggesting I took you out of context? If anyone took you out of context it's you.

(15-10-2015 04:54 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The point was (and I am only referencing scripture because the question was asked about God) is that love is an action not a feeling. To ask "how do I love without obeying God?" is like asking "How do I do exactly what God told me to do and not do what God commanded me?". Where is the logic in that question?

There is none.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-10-2015, 05:11 PM
So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.
15-10-2015, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 05:18 PM by Free Thought.)
(15-10-2015 05:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.

Worry about the consequences? Aside from being frequently beset by theotrolls who on their best days might be able to outsmart a loaf of poorly baked Turkish bread, you mean?

But you are right in that for many here, this is a place to vent out frustration... Mostly because of the dumb 'arguments' many have to put up with, as detailed in the very incomplete list by RocketSurgeon in post 76.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post