How do you love w/o obeying god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 05:16 PM
RE: How do you love w/o obeying god?
(15-10-2015 05:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.

Bingo!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 05:18 PM
(15-10-2015 05:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So basically the athiest forum is a safe place for athiest to make fun of thiest without worry of consequences in order to vent frustration? Got it.

First, learn how to spell atheist and theist. Second, making fun of new theists to this site has nothing to do with frustration and everything to do with initiation and rite of passage. If you can't handle the ridicule this place ain't for you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-10-2015, 05:56 PM
(15-10-2015 04:54 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  To ask "how do I love without obeying God?" is like asking "How do I do exactly what God told me to do and not do what God commanded me?". Where is the logic in that question?

You do realize that people do things for their own reasons whether or not they have been told to, right?

I somebody tells me to do something that I wanted to do anyway then I am not obeying them in any meaningful sense of the term when I do it. The command is effectively pointless, especially when I don't believe that the command was ever actually given or that the purported source of the command even exists.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-10-2015, 06:01 PM
(14-10-2015 10:43 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The questions was "How do you love without obeying God?" The answer is you can't because God commanded everyone to love.

Compulsory love. Sickening.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 4 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
15-10-2015, 06:33 PM
(15-10-2015 06:01 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:43 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The questions was "How do you love without obeying God?" The answer is you can't because God commanded everyone to love.

Compulsory love. Sickening.

Agreed. That's why this is my signature on AtheistForums.org:

A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost
I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 07:33 PM
(15-10-2015 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

First, learn how to spell atheist and theist. Second, making fun of new theists to this site has nothing to do with frustration and everything to do with initiation and rite of passage. If you can't handle the ridicule this place ain't for you.
I know how to spell. It was the phone...yeah....the phone. Darn phone. Hehe.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
15-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Honestly. I really appreciate everyone. Yes... I am a Christian but I am here basically for three reasons:

1. To better understand why people turn away from Christianity.

2. To play devil's advocate in order to keep the discussion stimulating.

3. To politely correct people if they say something that is not true about scripture or the scripture is taken out of context.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I know I probably drove people crazy but I hope I did not come across as rude or offensive.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
15-10-2015, 07:52 PM
I do not require a god in order to love. Perhaps if I did I'd join ISIS. I actually do not know how one could love another while following Yahweh, Jesus or Allah.

I possess my own emotions, thank you very much.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-10-2015, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 08:00 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(15-10-2015 07:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Honestly. I really appreciate everyone. Yes... I am a Christian but I am here basically for three reasons:

I can help with this one. For one thing, there's:

Quote:14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

From Psalm 14. This is a completely unsupported assertion (among the many unsupported assertions of religions), and the only thing it does is demonize non-believers. From that alone it's fairly easy to see why non-believers turn away from Christianity. Also, it seems be at odds with Jesus's famous saying "judge not lest ye be judged", so that's kind of funny.
15-10-2015, 07:59 PM
(15-10-2015 07:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Honestly. I really appreciate everyone. Yes... I am a Christian but I am here basically for three reasons:

2. To play devil's advocate in order to keep the discussion stimulating.

3. To politely correct people if they say something that is not true about scripture or the scripture is taken out of context.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I know I probably drove people crazy but I hope I did not come across as rude or offensive.

If you're truly here to understand us better, and to gather information, and to be a part of this community (even as "The Loyal Opposition", so to speak), than you are more than welcome. You may have misjudged your initial approach, however.

We get about a dozen new Christians a month who come in here, absolutely convinced they already know everything about atheists because their preachers informed them about how we really are (they typically know worse than nothing), absolutely convinced that they know their scriptures better than any of us here (we have some poor scolars on Biblical doctrine, but many of us are ex-Christian and well-educated on the subject), and/or absolutely convinced that they can "win us over to Jesus" if they just poke and prod us enough.

Some quickly cross the line from "poking and prodding to get to the truth" (as they see it) to simply being trolls, here to make atheists mad, because hey after all, we're The Enemy™. When it gets to the point we can't tell if they're really as fanatical as they're seeming to be, or just here to mess with us, we call that "A Poe", after Poe's Law, which states "it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between parodies of fundamentalism or other extreme views and their genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane".

On the other hand, we do not actually discriminate against people for being believers only, so long as they are honest about what they do and do not know, actually do their best to learn the facts about us rather than the common misconceptions out there, and treat us like human beings. We're likely to pick on you about your beliefs, and vice versa, but you'll notice quickly that there's a difference in tone between the way we speak to those who are kind-hearted and decent to us, versus those who feel we make legitimate targets simply because we're not members of The One True Religion™.

I hope you are sincere in your desire to really become part of this community; if so, let me be the first to welcome you. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post