Poll: How would you pronounce the word "strength" ?
This poll is closed.
strength 100.00% 17 100.00%
shtrength 0% 0 0%
Total 17 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you pronounce ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: How do you pronounce ...
Oh man... groshries ... makes me wince - I hear it all the time..

I used to speak with many people in the southern states and just before we signed off with our conversations, they would often say, "I prishiate cha.".

Instead of power my Mom says parr. I just realized that she may have learned it that way and never unlearned it. English was her second language.

And my favorite, here in Kansas, some don't seem to know if they are going to wash their car or worsh or even wersh their car. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
(08-10-2012 11:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh man... groshries ... makes me wince - I hear it all the time..

I used to speak with many people in the southern states and just before we signed off with our conversations, they would often say, "I prishiate cha.".

Instead of power my Mom says parr. I just realized that she may have learned it that way and never unlearned it. English was her second language.

And my favorite, here in Kansas, some don't seem to know if they are going to wash their car or worsh or even wersh their car. Blink

My sister lives outside Warshington. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I occasionally hear it here in Oz. It's mostly just laziness or lack of education, I find.
Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
(08-10-2012 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, that's British vs. American pronunciation.

There's a good example ^^^

Pro-noun-ciation vs. pro-nun-ciation

Pro-ven vs. proooven

ConTROVersy vs. contraVERsy.

I have noticed that different countries stress different syllables:
English is often 1st syllable
French and US is often 2nd syllable.

I highlight this when doing training ('cos I need the delegates to let me know if they don't understand my (proper) English), with this little anecdote:

Singapore taxi service (which is staggeringly good btw) has a message that is in my English:
"We are PROcessing your booking now."
But occasionally you can hear a US version:
"We are proCESSing your booking now."... and I immediately imagine a procession of taxis heading my way.
But the question is... why is not the Singaporean version?:
"We are processING your booking now." or even "Booking now, lah!"

Meh!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I pronounce it:

shtrEENGth (one syllable)

The "str" sound makes a natural "sh" sound at the beginning of the word; that is, if you have a de-emphasized "str" and an emphasized "e" sound. Saying an emphasized and hard "str" and a de-emphasized "ingth" will eliminate the "sh" sound.

It really matters as to where you put the emphasis.

Likewise, I've also heard it pronounced with a short "i" sound instead of a long "e". The same principle applies to the "sh" sound and where you put the emphasis. The short "i" sound is usually pronounced that way in black Southern culture.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
(08-10-2012 11:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh man... groshries ... makes me wince - I hear it all the time..

I say groshries -_-

09-10-2012, 01:10 PM
(09-10-2012 12:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I pronounce it:

shtrEENGth (one syllable)

The "str" sound makes a natural "sh" sound at the beginning of the word; that is, if you have a de-emphasized "str" and an emphasized "e" sound. Saying an emphasized and hard "str" and a de-emphasized "ingth" will eliminate the "sh" sound.

It really matters as to where you put the emphasis.

Likewise, I've also heard it pronounced with a short "i" sound instead of a long "e". The same principle applies to the "sh" sound and where you put the emphasis. The short "i" sound is usually pronounced that way in black Southern culture.

Bingo. That's my theory. That's where I think it's coming from. Watch the Atlanta housewives.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I am picturing (or whatever the audio equivalent is) a New York or Irish accent, can someone link a video to what you are talking about?

09-10-2012, 02:10 PM
You Americans are fuckin' weird.

I have never heard that before... ever... not even in all the American TV shows I watch.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 02:25 PM by kingschosen.)
Y'know... maybe I should make some youtube videos of me talking for all you non-Southerners.