How do you prove something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2016, 10:59 AM
How do you prove something the right way? This applies to all subjects.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2016, 11:08 AM
RE: How do you prove something?
Take a picture. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
19-06-2016, 11:14 AM
I tend to see proof as a mathematical/logical idea.

In the physical world, you don't prove. You provide evidence. The truth remains tentative. Predicated on current evidence NOT being overturned by superior(or more) evidence.

The kind of evidence demanded depends on the claim. The more unusual(unlikely in a given context), the more evidence you require. At some point, most "reasonable" people will make a judgment call and confirm or reject an idea on the basis of the evidence.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 15 users Like tomilay's post
19-06-2016, 11:14 AM
(19-06-2016 10:59 AM)KUSA Wrote:  How do you prove something the right way? This applies to all subjects.

Easy you rear up on your hind legs and shout in their face, then hit the other person until they agree with you.
[+] 3 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
19-06-2016, 11:18 AM
(19-06-2016 11:14 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 10:59 AM)KUSA Wrote:  How do you prove something the right way? This applies to all subjects.

Easy you rear up on your hind legs and shout in their face, then hit the other person until they agree with you.

I said the right way.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
19-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Tomilay is right; you don't technically prove anything outside of mathematics.

You can explain something based on the evidence as best you can, try to narrow it down to the single variable you could use to isolate the phenomenon you're testing, and then change something to see if it stops happening, put it back and see if it happens again. You can also present a best-case "this seems to be why", where it's not possible to lock down a single variable, in cases where you've figured out how something works but can't completely rule out better explanations.

It's why all scientific knowledge is held as true only to the degree to which it has been demonstrated, and changes upon discovery of better information. Tomorrow, we might discover some new phenomenon, force, or substance that causes us to have to adjust what we think we've gotten close to perfect.

People who believe in absolute Ultimate Revealed Truths™ tend to take issue with this aspect of scientific thinking, but of course it is the greatest strength of science and knowledge based upon it. If someone wants you to prove something, though, it means that they don't understand this basic phenomenon... and we're thus limited to demonstrating to them why we think what we do about how it works and telling them that if they have a better explanation, we'd like to see how that works. Of course, we never GET that explanation from them; we get a bunch of gobbletygook disguising itself as rational thinking, and no amount of demonstration of how their ideas can be easily falsified will shake them out of that comforting opinion.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-06-2016, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2016 02:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-06-2016 11:18 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 11:14 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Easy you rear up on your hind legs and shout in their face, then hit the other person until they agree with you.

I said the right way.

That is the consensus position from what I've seen. I agree with Tomilay. Laymen casually using the term "proof" irritates me.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-06-2016, 02:19 PM
(19-06-2016 11:18 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 11:14 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Easy you rear up on your hind legs and shout in their face, then hit the other person until they agree with you.

I said the right way.

Well that is the way of the right wing type person. The left way would be to be really wussy about it and point out things softly and hang your head if they don't believe.
19-06-2016, 02:22 PM
(19-06-2016 02:19 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 11:18 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I said the right way.

Well that is the way of the right wing type person. The left way would be to be really wussy about it and point out things softly and hang your head if they don't believe.

On another forum I am on a moderator said that slavery was not a black white issue, but that there was slavery before the present run of captured Africans, and any body that posted anything different would be banned and have their post deleted. That again is the way of a right wing believer to prove how right you are!
19-06-2016, 03:09 PM

It doesn't matter what the evidence is as long as the conclusion is what you thought from the outset. I had that one told to me recently. Ugh.... the ignorance....it burns.....

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post