How do you prove something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2016, 05:00 PM
How do you prove something?
I had two people in the past week that they don't think that I don't believe in God. I'm just going through a phase. I see a debate coming and I want to do it in a way that isn't rude.

It's easy to slam a Christian but doing it politely is not as easy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: How do you prove something?
(19-06-2016 02:22 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  On another forum I am on a moderator said that slavery was not a black white issue, but that there was slavery before the present run of captured Africans, and any body that posted anything different would be banned and have their post deleted. That again is the way of a right wing believer to prove how right you are!

I don't know about the deleted thing, but it is true. There were slaves in ancient Greece and the East and in the Roman world and it had little to do with colour.

Just out of curiosity, what type of forum is it?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-06-2016, 07:17 PM
(19-06-2016 10:59 AM)KUSA Wrote:  How do you prove something the right way? This applies to all subjects.

Abstract concepts can be done or 'proved' using logical and mathematical relationships. Again this is sensitive to 'garbage in - garbage out' , but it does work.

For concrete phenomena, generally a test-confirmed hypothesis which can be use to predict future behavior and relationships between physical things that has been critically cross examined by others, and who could only reasonably come to the same conclusion can be considered 'proof'.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-06-2016, 08:39 PM
(19-06-2016 05:00 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I had two people in the past week that they don't think that I don't believe in God. I'm just going through a phase. I see a debate coming and I want to do it in a way that isn't rude.

It's easy to slam a Christian but doing it politely is not as easy.

Ah yes, the perennial favorite, "I'm going to tell you what you're thinking." with a side-order of "Your lack of belief frightens me so I'm declaring it invalid."

The burden of proof rests on those making the witless assertion so you don't have to prove anything at this point. At a bare minimum they will need to demonstrate that they have examined their beliefs more thoroughly than you have examined yours. If they can't then we could easily conclude that their beliefs are "just a phase" or something similarly trite and they lose any basis to ridicule yours.

You might want to suggest that they start there and watch them flounder as they try and work out just how thoroughly you have thought things out, how thoroughly they have, and how the blazes they're going to make a valid comparison. Who knows, all that thinking might start something. Also it's fairly simple to keep polite since you don't have to prove a blessed thing.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Words of wisdom from a former Canadian Prime Minister.

A proof is a proof...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
20-06-2016, 06:11 PM
(19-06-2016 05:00 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I had two people in the past week that they don't think that I don't believe in God. I'm just going through a phase. I see a debate coming and I want to do it in a way that isn't rude.

"That's nice. I don't think that you do believe in God. You're just going through a phase."

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-06-2016, 07:20 PM
(19-06-2016 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 11:18 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I said the right way.

That is the consensus position from what I've seen. I agree with Tomilay. Laymen casually using the term "proof" irritates me.

Said the nihilist. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-06-2016, 07:26 PM
(20-06-2016 07:20 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That is the consensus position from what I've seen. I agree with Tomilay. Laymen casually using the term "proof" irritates me.

Said the nihilist. Drinking Beverage

Yabut, I am an active nihilist in the vein of Nietzsche going beyond good and evil to create meaning instead of a pessimistic, passive pussy nihilist like "Oh. Woe is me." Schopenhauer.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Observation of a phenomenon, and its repeated replication?

The gravitational theory states that (in very simple terms) an apple will always fall to the earth. We can all observe this, and throw the apple up 1,000 times every day for 10 years, and its behaviour never fails to satisfy the theory.

Although the force of gravity per se can't be "proved" it obviously exists as theorised.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-06-2016, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2016 08:07 AM by tomilay.)
(19-06-2016 06:17 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 02:22 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  On another forum I am on a moderator said that slavery was not a black white issue, but that there was slavery before the present run of captured Africans, and any body that posted anything different would be banned and have their post deleted. That again is the way of a right wing believer to prove how right you are!

I don't know about the deleted thing, but it is true. There were slaves in ancient Greece and the East and in the Roman world and it had little to do with colour.

Just out of curiosity, what type of forum is it?
In sub-Saharan Africa too, slavery existed. As recently as 50 years ago, maybe less.

More remarkably, IMO, Liberia, founded by freed slaves, engaged in slave trading.
Source Another America, The Story of Liberia and the Slaves Who Ruled It. You can also google Specifically the Fernando Po Crisis. Very little talked about.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg