How do you read?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2011, 12:27 PM

How do you read?
OK this is a weird topic, but I was having this conversation with my wife the other night. I am a VERY story oriented reader. If the story is intriguing to me I like the book period. I had the hardest time with English Lit teachers because I'd read something and then they'd start with the "what do think the author was trying to say with all the mentions of the color red?" Me: That a lot of things were red, I don't understand the question. "What do you think the boys choice to collect bugs sybolized?" Me: He thought bugs were cool. Again what? I read very literally. Yeah OK there can be a moralistic theme, but that's about as deep as I go. Secodly if an author spends 4 or five sentences to tell me about the vibrant colors of the flowers, the soft green hue of the grass, and birds chotling softly in the ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You get my point. Anyone else a literal reader?

PS I do like character development.
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 12:53 PM

RE: How do you read?
I think it depends on the topic. If I am reading some historic Philosophical book, it tends to make me think more, because they could come out and state, GOD is Fictional.. They had to do it in a way to stay alive.

Now if its the past couple of books I have picked up, then I read literal. The book from Bad Religion, nothing to it straight forward, same with the last book I read. As are the two I am reading now.

I guess IMO its become easier to become a literal reader, than in the past.
31-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't like too obscure symbolism in literature and art. How is a normal person going to figure out what the symbolism means without anyone telling the reader what it means? The same goes for other arts.

I have a preassumption that most of the people who get the symbolism (by themselves) in art are artists/art fans. I can't get anything out of the paintings of famous painters, nor out of the poems of famous poets (unless they rhyme).
I don't read much stories, but when I do, I read it literally. I like my story as a story, not as a dadaistic masterpiece.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 01:09 PM

The thing I would always find myself thinking was "Come on how do know that's what Shakespear was thinking when he wrote that? Did you ask him? No I didn't think so. It's just that they tell you what authors 'meant' or were 'intending' like its a fact! Is there a chance they just liked red? F for the smartass!
31-01-2011, 02:45 PM
On the topic - anyone know any technique that can improve reading speed.
I've read very little in my days and I don't know how to catch up.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I am a literal reader. I don't like the idea of reading between the lines. I am aware of the fact that writers and movie makers use symbolism to enhance the effects that the stories have on the audience. Not everybody needs to ba able to analys these techniques, they will affect you whether you are aware of them or not. If you want to be a writer or movie maker it would be a good idea to learn that stuff, but not nessessary, since not all writers, artists etc use them. As for Eng. Lit. class, it's part of the course. As long as you are in class, you may as well learn what you can, because you are stuck there anyway.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
31-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Symbolism is fine when executed well. I dont like the "hit you on the head with simplistic ideas" club, but I also dont like when a writer waxes poetic for too long.
I consider myself a cerebral reader (applies to music too). I have to have substance. Trite writing and music bores me to tears.
Boy, I just sounded pompous.
The good news: Im adult ADD and reading is a chore. Read first sentence... eyes drop to bottom of page... remember that I need to read everything in between.. return to top... start over.... repeat until frustrated.
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
recently i started reading Stanislaw Lem, but I had to put it down. I dind't have the patience or artictic skill to value all thoose portrayal.

I also hate it at literature class. I can't understand, why a poem. etc cannot contain "accidents". I mean not everything bears a meaning! What if that guy really just felt like collecting bugs, maybe this doesn not necessarily symbolize the dying of a great nation, or stuff like that. Also I can hardly learn poems, they just don't seem to fit in my skull. Okay it's Hungarian literature, but I guess it's pretty same as English..

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

So this thread has got me thinking over the past several days.. And I think I understand why we or some don't like to literature class..

We think very black and white it seems. Ie, If there is a GOD, then show me proof.. No proof no god. Which makes it uneasy to see things such as what some are describing, why the roses are red..

Thoughts?
04-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe. Symbolism is inherent in religion and permeates the arts. It is effective at creating moods and impressions. Symbolism isn't part of science, with the exception of studying the effects of symbolism on people.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 107 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Rainbow "The 100 Best Books of All Time" Have you read any? Thoughts? PoolBoyG 24 427 06-06-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  I can't believe I've never read this: I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream kingschosen 17 1,065 13-04-2014 05:24 AM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Go read this series. kingschosen 10 409 08-04-2014 03:02 PM
Last Post: kingschosen
  You know you've read too much when… BrokenQuill92 0 123 10-01-2014 04:49 PM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  How many books have you read Ronga23 31 661 05-12-2013 05:32 PM
Last Post: kim
  Books Im Too Scared to Read Again! BrokenQuill92 11 433 04-12-2013 10:07 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina