How do you respond to...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2011, 01:52 PM
How do you respond to...
How do you respond to the over used "It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve"? It's commonly used to justify their intolerance towards homosexuality. Of course they are invoking religion, some of them aren't even theists yet say this...which is confusing. But how do you respond to that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 02:11 PM
RE: How do you respond to...
Yeah, and look how that turned out!
Then, you derail the argument into overpopulation, the pope, and the rat experiment where they all eat one another.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
16-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Who married Adam and Eve? Was that premarital sex? Inbreeding? I mean if Eve was made from his rib...then it was essentially Adam screwing a female version of himself. Like brother and sister twins doing it. This is traumatizing me....

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
16-09-2011, 02:31 PM

(16-09-2011 01:52 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  How do you respond to the over used "It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve"? It's commonly used to justify their intolerance towards homosexuality. Of course they are invoking religion, some of them aren't even theists yet say this...which is confusing. But how do you respond to that?

...and their children (who didn't kill each other) lived in happy incest until enough offspring were born so they did not have to screw each other any more.
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2011, 02:58 PM
My personal favourite response is, "You think you're being funny, you fucking bigot? Go fuck yourself!"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
16-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't even bother responding to someone who would say something like that. People who use stupid little quotes like that tend to be closed-minded no matter what. Keep in mind, there have been many cultures with varying views on homosexuality that did not involve the Christian religion. In some instances, it was still a death-sentence. Most people are not tolerant by nature.

So when you hear something like that, you know you aren't dealing with someone who is rationally thinking out their viewpoint, they are simply a bigot who is using a bumper-sticker level of thought to defend their irrational beliefs. Religion could easily be the source of such bigotry, but I find that usually the person was predisposed to being a judgmental dick.

Many free-thinking Christians, however, are usually fairly lenient on homosexuality, or at least can be conversed with rationally about it. I have rarely met people who are that level of intolerant.

Of course, I live in South Dakota. People here are generally very mellow and accepting of things.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
16-09-2011, 06:25 PM

This!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
16-09-2011, 08:46 PM
This would clear up a lot of confusion:

Of course, God invented homosexuality - he invented everything, right?
So why did he forbid it in the bible?
Because at that time, there was a shortage of Hebrews.
Now that there are enough+ people, it's time to implement God's Plan B: Adam and Steve; Amanda and Eve.
Get with the program, and maybe he'll stop blowing your houses down.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
18-09-2011, 01:44 AM
How do I respond to "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve?" Simple. No, it wasn't Adam and Eve. Haven't you heard of evolution yet? We didn't come from Adam and Eve, we evolved from single-celled organisms, which you would know if you'd ever taken a science class. If you're saying we can't procreate today through homosexual acts, then fine, but that's just an observation of biological limitations, and nothing to do with morality. There is no objective "right and wrong" handed down to us by God because there is no God. All morality is subjective. If you're saying homosexuality is "unnatural" then you're wrong again. Since anything that is present in nature is natural by definition, and homosexuality occurs rather frequently, it is just as "natural" as heterosexuality. I find the thought of having sex with another man repulsive. I don't care to watch two men having sex or even kissing. But I don't pretend that my heterosexuality makes their homosexuality "wrong" or "unnatural". That's like saying because I'm right-handed, anyone who is left-handed is an abomination. It's a ridiculous belief (another one that was widely held by Christians at one time, by the way). So they're different than you are? So what? It doesn't make them less entitled to the same rights and freedoms that you enjoy.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin