How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 11:13 PM
RE: How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?
I say thank you and move on.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
20-04-2015, 11:14 PM
lol, my username(along with many of my online handles) come from poetry I have written.
[+] 2 users Like raininghostility's post
21-04-2015, 12:59 AM
(20-04-2015 10:27 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  How do you respond or what do you think the best way to respond is? I usually say, "I appreciate the thought, but I am an atheist."

I don't remember anyone saying this to me yet I can not imagine that I would thank for such hollow gesture.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Completely depends on the context. Some people say it just to get under your skin and they know it annoys you. In which case I just say, "Please don't bother."

In the case when someone means it sincerely and they really actually have good intentions, I usually say, "thank you, I know you're being sincere, and I appreciate that sentiment." My family doesn't say it anymore, they know it drives me crazy. I have a few friends that still say it and have the best of intentions. It doesn't bug me too much anymore.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
21-04-2015, 01:17 AM
(21-04-2015 01:02 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Completely depends on the context. Some people say it just to get under your skin and they know it annoys you. In which case I just say, "Please don't bother."

In the case when someone means it sincerely and they really actually have good intentions, I usually say, "thank you, I know you're being sincere, and I appreciate that sentiment." My family doesn't say it anymore, they know it drives me crazy. I have a few friends that still say it and have the best of intentions. It doesn't bug me too much anymore.

You're right. Context matters.

"I'll pray for you" is one of the weapons in the southern church lady's insult book - it never fails to piss me off when used that way. I usually reply with something like "Aww, bless your heart, sugar, I'm sure Jesus has a special place in heaven reserved just for you" with a somewhat smile/smirk that conveys "fuck you, bitch."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
21-04-2015, 02:18 AM
(21-04-2015 01:17 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 01:02 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Completely depends on the context. Some people say it just to get under your skin and they know it annoys you. In which case I just say, "Please don't bother."

"I'll pray for you" is one of the weapons in the southern church lady's insult book - it never fails to piss me off when used that way. I usually reply with something like "Aww, bless your heart, sugar, I'm sure Jesus has a special place in heaven reserved just for you" with a somewhat smile/smirk that conveys "fuck you, bitch."

Because that's what Jesus would do! Thumbsup

That or start flipping tables and whipping motherfuckers who got in his way, either are acceptable really. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-04-2015, 04:15 AM
The last time anyone offered to pray for me was when I was flat on my back on the road waiting for the ambulance after a really bad bicycle fall and I just snarled "No!" through teeth gritted in pain. The nice lady was affronted but said no more. I mentioned it later to a fellow cyclist and asked what should I have said and she said "If it makes you feel better go ahead" which is one of those brilliant responses you never get to say at the time, but I have filed it away for future use.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
21-04-2015, 05:31 AM
I had a nun say that to me. I said "Thank you, but I'm an atheist". She replied "In that case, I'll pray for you twice". She was a genuinely nice woman.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
21-04-2015, 06:09 AM
(21-04-2015 01:17 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

ah the south, the sweetest way to tell people to fuck off. Thumbsup

I usually reply " hmm, uh, okay? thank you?" with a WTF do you think that will do to help the situation look on my face.

kinda like when you accidentally cut your hand wide open that needs a ton of stitches- you ask your kid to help and they bring you the teeny tiny bandaid that barely covers a freckle. lol. Thats the look I give.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
21-04-2015, 06:13 AM
People who know me wouldn't say it...

People who don't know me usually end up wishing they hadn't....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.