How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 06:40 AM
RE: How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?
If I was in a really bad mood I might say "Oh no, please don't do that. God has a plan, and you wouldn't want to screw that up, would you ?" Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-04-2015, 08:10 AM
No one has ever said that to me before. I have no idea what my reaction would actually be. I"ll let you know what happens if that time comes.
21-04-2015, 08:58 AM
(21-04-2015 06:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  People who know me wouldn't say it...

People who don't know me usually end up wishing they hadn't....

Aw, you like to exude the tough-guy exterior with your intimidating verbiage and Breaking Bad avatar, but we know you're just a big cuddly maple-syrup-tapping teddy bear.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-04-2015, 10:32 AM
It's only happened a couple of times since I've come back home, and I just say "thanks, have a nice day", because life's too short to get worked up about small stuff.

That request has always struck me as a violation of Jesus's edict to avoid praying in public, because it's really just a way for a believer to flaunt his or her piety. They can certainly pray in privacy without saying a word about it to me; the fact they mention it to me tells me that they're looking for an Earthly reward for their "action".
21-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I don't recall if it has ever happened to me in person. But I imagine I would stay awkwardly silent and non responsive. I don't like saying "thank you" to things I'm not thankful for. I do the same for when somebody says, "bless you" after I sneeze. My response is *silence*. Online, if somebody says that, I would have a discussion with them on what they meant by that, and why I think it's patronizing (I had another word in mind, but can't think of it).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-04-2015, 11:05 AM
If I say anything, it is something like "whatever floats your boat". Drinking Beverage

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
21-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I usually respond with "Well thanks for wishing me well".
21-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Depends on who it is. If I hear it from my grandmother for example I only hear "I love you"
Otherwise if I am having a debate with religious person all I think is that they are trying to insult me in that way because they know many of us find it annoying
[+] 1 user Likes 4Syntraph's post
21-04-2015, 01:43 PM
(20-04-2015 10:27 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  How do you respond or what do you think the best way to respond is? I usually say, "I appreciate the thought, but I am an atheist."

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Generally speaking, my response would be "I appreciate the thought," and leave it at that.

If, however, the statement is made in a theological discussion where the other person knows I'm an atheist and is saying that to get me angry, then my response is, "Tell you what. Go ahead and pray for me. I will talk to my cat for you. Let's see who gets better results."

The first person is being nice, and is treated nice. The second is being a jerk, and being mocked accordingly.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor