How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 01:43 PM
RE: How do you respond when someone says they are praying for you?
A few years ago a very annoying religious woman told me she would pray for my son who was suffering from severe depression. About a year later she asked me how things were going and I told her that her prayers must have worked because my son is transgender and is now my daughter and very, very happy..so thanks! Thumbsup

I usually don't talk about my transgender daughter to people I don't know very well, especially religious idiots, but it was worth it just to see the look on her stupid sanctimonious face.

This was a woman I worked with off and on but she was moving to another city so I knew I wouldn't have to deal with her anymore. I probably wouldn't have said anything otherwise. Anyway, it was a very very gratifying moment in my life.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Man you guys are antagonistic. I can understand if the person says it in a sanctimonious or passive aggressive way reacting that way but come on. If the person is just trying to be nice, why attack them.
Just imagine if you wished a Calvanist (or someone who believes in predestination) luck and they respond with a "go to hell".
I just imagine you guys telling a 90 grandma to "fuck off" because she said "bless you" after you sneezed. Or telling a 5 year old to grow up after he offered to kiss your hand better after you burnt it on a stove.
It's just an act of sympathy. Sometimes there is nothing you can actually do to help, so the best you can do is wish them well or offer to pray for them. I don't think there is any benefit to reminding someone who is helpless to fix your situation that they really are helpless.

Anyways I'll pray for you that you learn to not be so hateful of others good intentions. Tongue

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
21-04-2015, 04:27 PM
(20-04-2015 10:27 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  How do you respond or what do you think the best way to respond is? I usually say, "I appreciate the thought, but I am an atheist."

Sorry if this has been posted before.

It's generally meant as a good thing. So, I just thank them and move on.
21-04-2015, 04:28 PM
"Thank you, I will pray for you also." Of course they all know I'm an atheist so they just look at me quizzically.

#sigh
21-04-2015, 05:12 PM
(20-04-2015 10:27 PM)raininghostility Wrote:  How do you respond or what do you think the best way to respond is? I usually say, "I appreciate the thought, but I am an atheist."

Sorry if this has been posted before.

It depends on the context. If they are not being pushy I'll accept it with grace. If I'm beating them like a drum and they say it as a parting shot I'll usually react with more pith.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
21-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I suppose I should have been a bit more clear as to what I say, if someone is doing it to piss me off or to be a jerk, I don't say "thanks, but I am an atheist". In a case like that, I usually reply sarcastically or not at all. If it's a stranger or someone who doesn't know that I'm an atheist, that's when I reply with " I appreciate the thought but I'm an atheist". I have a family member who "doesn't like that I don't believe in god", so I have learned to just ignore her. Gets me nowhere to try to explain things to her or to say anything at all. lol.
21-04-2015, 10:10 PM
"Thank You"

Its usually easier and allows you to escape any further comments

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met