How do you spend your time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: How do you spend your time?
(08-04-2016 08:49 PM)Sam Wrote:  I'm actually downsizing... I've played through a 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe for about 6 or 7 years. That was fine when I played on my own, but now I'm with a band, its too loud to be practical. I never get the volume above 1, and the amp doesn't really start giving the goods until about 4 or 5.

So the local shop have got a 15 watt Blues Junior in for me... Master volume, single channel. Nice and simple. It'll save my back too. Big Grin

Yeah, I'm getting back into electric after five years' acoustic -only, with a view to being in a band by year's end, hence 40 watts in a head/cab configuration -- my bum hip makes a gigging combo not a good choice.

I like the Peavey's features, especially its compatibility with digital recording and reducible wattage, though. I used to gig a 100w original VK, and loved the "texture" control, too --very versatile amp for it. I'll probably own both by year's end,

I'll put up a build thread for it with vid clips once I've got it all together.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-04-2016, 10:56 AM
I'm browsing this forum instead of studying for final exams.
[+] 2 users Like UnicornBabyJesus's post
09-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I retired after 40 years of trial practice in 2012. I was burned out physically and emotionally. My physical health took a nose dive and we were pretty sure I was dying. I had stage 3 prostate cancer, I had a tumor in my colon which turned out to be benign, I did two trips to intensive care with double pneumonia, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and ulcerative colitis throughout my large intestine. I also have a head injury from starting my horse without wearing a helmet. [I still have that horse and I love him.] That fractured skull has fucked me up in a lot of ways -- I am having to relearn my sense of balance, I get lost in my own neighborhood, and I have some cognitive problems.

I spend my time building rifles, shooting rifles, shooting big bore [hunting] handguns, loading ammo for my guns, training my horse, hunting, fishing, and spending time with my grandson. Today I have been doing spring clean-up and planting flowers around my back yard archery range. I like to have flowers around when I practice to kill animals. I am fighting to get my strength back and I am making progress but it's slow. Tonight, my wife and her girlfriends are going to a play so I will load some .308 Norma Magnums [rifle cartridges] and tie some Renegades [trout fishing flies]. I may carve some deep water lures out of plexiglass for Mackinaws [Lake Trout] --I enjoy my kind of "Mac attack" which is catching those big lake trout. I am cleaning up my white water canoe but I don't think I'll be doing any serious white water for a while, if ever again.

I love my family and my wife, son, and grandson have kept me alive during my physical trials. My wife laughs at me and that helps a lot. I suggested that we should go skiing and she said that with my lack of balance, it would be a great comedy show. We used to ski every weekend in the winter before I got sick. I tell her that living with me now has got to be like dragging a dead indian around. She says it is but she thinks I am getting stronger everyday and I am easier to drag around today than I was a year ago. She says I am almost to the point where we can start drifting around the world again. I look forward to that.

For a long time, life wasn't worth living but it's getting better. Drugs, particularly Cymbalta, help a lot.
[+] 6 users Like Black Eagle's post
09-04-2016, 07:08 PM
(09-04-2016 03:59 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I retired after 40 years of trial practice in 2012. I was burned out physically and emotionally. My physical health took a nose dive and we were pretty sure I was dying. I had stage 3 prostate cancer, I had a tumor in my colon which turned out to be benign, I did two trips to intensive care with double pneumonia, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and ulcerative colitis throughout my large intestine. I also have a head injury from starting my horse without wearing a helmet. [I still have that horse and I love him.] That fractured skull has fucked me up in a lot of ways -- I am having to relearn my sense of balance, I get lost in my own neighborhood, and I have some cognitive problems.

I spend my time building rifles, shooting rifles, shooting big bore [hunting] handguns, loading ammo for my guns, training my horse, hunting, fishing, and spending time with my grandson. Today I have been doing spring clean-up and planting flowers around my back yard archery range. I like to have flowers around when I practice to kill animals. I am fighting to get my strength back and I am making progress but it's slow. Tonight, my wife and her girlfriends are going to a play so I will load some .308 Norma Magnums [rifle cartridges] and tie some Renegades [trout fishing flies]. I may carve some deep water lures out of plexiglass for Mackinaws [Lake Trout] --I enjoy my kind of "Mac attack" which is catching those big lake trout. I am cleaning up my white water canoe but I don't think I'll be doing any serious white water for a while, if ever again.

I love my family and my wife, son, and grandson have kept me alive during my physical trials. My wife laughs at me and that helps a lot. I suggested that we should go skiing and she said that with my lack of balance, it would be a great comedy show. We used to ski every weekend in the winter before I got sick. I tell her that living with me now has got to be like dragging a dead indian around. She says it is but she thinks I am getting stronger everyday and I am easier to drag around today than I was a year ago. She says I am almost to the point where we can start drifting around the world again. I look forward to that.

For a long time, life wasn't worth living but it's getting better. Drugs, particularly Cymbalta, help a lot.

Well, shit. We live in an age where medical science can bring us back from what in earlier times would have been slow, painful death, and give us some ease in the last years of our lives, instead. I wish you well.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
09-04-2016, 10:37 PM
I work a lot but outside of that:
  • I'm heavily involved in several HEMA organizations.
  • I teach European fencing, almost exclusively to women, specializing in the English long sword and Spanish rapier. My daily work out is almost entirely fencing now, I very rarely spend time on my weights.
  • I learned to make my own shields 2 years ago and have made over two dozen since for myself and various friends. I have been considering taking up traditional bladesmithing but my job is labor intensive as is and I think that might push me past my limit and start messing with my health.
  • I make my own Halloween costumes, most of which take months to finish. The majority of them for the last several years have been Warhammer 40k or Fantasy. This years inspiration.
  • I write and read to an almost obsessive degree, I have probably 30+ half finished novels written unfortunately I get bored very easy. I'm garbage at writing comedies but tragedies are a cake walk.
  • I paint regularly though I can't draw to save my life. I used to play a great deal of Football ( the real kind) but don't anymore.
  • I have done some volunteer work in local Theaters but just on Shakespeare productions. I've acted off an on since High school, but mostly it's fight choreography and costume design.
  • I try to attend as much theater as I can, even catching the odd Opera but it's unfortunately kind of a cultural wasteland here for that kind of thing.
  • I listen to a lot of Alternative Bluegrass. A lot.
  • I don't play a lot of video games any more as very few grab me for longer than a few hours. I think the last game I actually enjoyed enough to recommend to other people was Spec Ops: The Line and that was almost 4 years ago.
Insomnia has it's uses Tongue

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
09-04-2016, 11:09 PM
I am also a reader and I block out at least one hour everyday for reading. It usually stretches into two hours or more.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
09-04-2016, 11:41 PM
(09-04-2016 10:37 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I work a lot but outside of that:
  • I teach European fencing, almost exclusively to women, specializing in the English long sword and Spanish rapier. My daily work out is almost entirely fencing now, I very rarely spend time on my weights.
  • I learned to make my own shields 2 years ago and have made over two dozen since for myself and various friends. I have been considering taking up traditional bladesmithing but my job is labor intensive as is and I think that might push me past my limit and start messing with my health.
  • I make my own Halloween costumes, most of which take months to finish. The majority of them for the last several years have been Warhammer 40k or Fantasy. This years inspiration.
  • I write and read to an almost obsessive degree, I have probably 30+ half finished novels written unfortunately I get bored very easy. I'm garbage at writing comedies but tragedies are a cake walk.
  • I paint regularly though I can't draw to save my life. I used to play a great deal of Football ( the real kind) but don't anymore.
  • I have done some volunteer work in local Theaters but just on Shakespeare productions. I've acted off an on since High school, but mostly it's fight choreography and costume design.
  • I try to attend as much theater as I can, even catching the odd Opera but it's unfortunately kind of a cultural wasteland here for that kind of thing.
  • I don't play a lot of video games any more as very few grab me for longer than a few hours. I think the last game I actually enjoyed enough to recommend to other people was Spec Ops: The Line and that was almost 4 years ago.

I'm a fully qualified blacksmith. Shithouse work. Never take it up.

BTW. I used to teach this kid. Simon.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
12-04-2016, 04:00 PM
I spend way too much of it working (and I'm a piss poor financial planner, so I won't be retiring any time soon), and way too much of the rest of it doing chores (even though I only do the bare minimum of chores). I also spend way too much time on this forum, but most of that is during idle moments at work.

Withe the spare time I do have, I try to indulge in a number of hobbies:

(1) Reading. I read all kinds of stuff, but just lately, I have read Alan Lightman's Einstein's Dreams, Gene Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus, and Richard Taylor's Metaphysics.

(2) Studying. This can be philosophy, mathematics (I'm still trying to get through Apostol's Calculus, Vol. 1), physics, music, and various other things.

(3) Listening to music. My tastes are extremely broad, but lately I've been listening to a lot of classical music and jazz (concentrating on Vijay Iyer, because I'm going to see him in concert a few days from now -- I rarely go to concerts, but he's a "can't-miss").

(4) Playing chess. I go to half a dozen or so weekend tournaments per year, and for the last two months, I've been playing in a "one game per week" event at the local club. So far, I have won 1 game, drawn 1 game (both against lower-rated players), and lost 6 games (all against higher-rated players). Tonight is the last game, and I'm playing the highest-rated player in the group. Wish me luck. I did beat him in last year's event. He's probably been plotting his revenge ever since.

(5) Riding my bike. I commute by bike every day, but I also go for long rides on nice weekends on my $10,000 luxury bike (yes, that number is real -- it's a custom-built Serotta Ottrott). When I say long rides, I mean anywhere from 25 miles to over 160 miles. Most of these rides are also pretty hilly, so I get a good workout.

(6) I don't watch TV, but I have lots of DVDs of movies, operas, concerts, bike races, etc., and I will occasionally watch one of those. I also occasionally go to the theater to watch a movie, but not that often.

To echo someone else -- no video games for me. Life is too short. But I don't judge people who do that. Ultimately, whatever we do is a waste of time -- chess no less than video games. Do whatever you enjoy doing. I enjoy the above.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
13-04-2016, 09:55 PM
If I'm not working, and I'm not on TTA I am doing a project. I'm what you might call a perfectionist and workaholic. I find one thing - then I do it - then I finish, but not happy with it so I redo it several times over or keep tweaking it until it's fucked up and I have to start over - something like that. RIght now my project is my yard at my new house. I got to a point where I was pretty much done for the time being (without spending more money than I should), so I found a new patch on the corner of my property, starting digging up vines, and burning tree limbs, and digging up old concrete blocks and such, but I hurt my wrist and had to take a break, so here I am. I need to move on to a new project in the interim that's cheap or free soon. Maybe I will borrow an extension ladder so I can take off my shutters and paint them. Need to paint the door too...and I need to replace the caulking on my ancient windows.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-04-2016, 08:56 AM
(09-04-2016 10:37 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I work a lot but outside of that:

Sounds like we have a few things in common. I was a theatre major and a dance minor. Bwahahaha....I'm sooo practical, I went for the big money! Anyway, I've
been involved in Shakespeare productions for years around the Portland Oregon area. I taught costume history and construction for many years but I don't do that now. At the moment I'm working on a production of one of Shakespeare's Long Poems, Venus and Adonis, which was adapted into a theatre piece using, of all things, puppets. Holy shit! It's the hardest thing I've ever done.

We're doing Bunraku type puppets and instead of carving the heads out of wood I decided to model a plasticine clay head and take a plaster cast of the head and then tried several different materials in the negative for the final positive. First I did latex and didn't like it's look. The skin looked too dead even after painting it. I next tried a product called Mend All and almost got it stuck inside the negative. Then I looked online and found a guy who does masks using silicone caulking from the hardware store and mixes it with Naphtha and paints it inside the negative cast. It worked but then I realized I couldn't paint the white silicone face a skin color. Every kind of paint peeled off. Nothing sticks to silicone except other silicone. So then I tried to mix the paint with some of the silicone and Naphtha all together and it worked. It's been quite the learning experience.

Anyway, that's what I've been spending my time doing. Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post