How do you spend your time?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: How do you spend your time?
(09-04-2016 10:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 08:49 PM)Sam Wrote:  I'm actually downsizing... I've played through a 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe for about 6 or 7 years. That was fine when I played on my own, but now I'm with a band, its too loud to be practical. I never get the volume above 1, and the amp doesn't really start giving the goods until about 4 or 5.

So the local shop have got a 15 watt Blues Junior in for me... Master volume, single channel. Nice and simple. It'll save my back too. Big Grin

Yeah, I'm getting back into electric after five years' acoustic -only, with a view to being in a band by year's end, hence 40 watts in a head/cab configuration -- my bum hip makes a gigging combo not a good choice.

I like the Peavey's features, especially its compatibility with digital recording and reducible wattage, though. I used to gig a 100w original VK, and loved the "texture" control, too --very versatile amp for it. I'll probably own both by year's end,

I'll put up a build thread for it with vid clips once I've got it all together.

I picked the new amp up on Monday. It's taken a while to get into it... The stock speaker is a piece of shit. But today I whacked in a Jensen C12N, and its brought it to life. If only I'd done that yesterday, I'd have saved myself the trouble of lugging the Deluxe to band practice.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
14-04-2016, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2016 04:16 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(09-04-2016 10:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 08:49 PM)Sam Wrote:  I'm actually downsizing... I've played through a 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe for about 6 or 7 years. That was fine when I played on my own, but now I'm with a band, its too loud to be practical. I never get the volume above 1, and the amp doesn't really start giving the goods until about 4 or 5.

So the local shop have got a 15 watt Blues Junior in for me... Master volume, single channel. Nice and simple. It'll save my back too. Big Grin

Yeah, I'm getting back into electric after five years' acoustic -only, with a view to being in a band by year's end, hence 40 watts in a head/cab configuration -- my bum hip makes a gigging combo not a good choice.

I like the Peavey's features, especially its compatibility with digital recording and reducible wattage, though. I used to gig a 100w original VK, and loved the "texture" control, too --very versatile amp for it. I'll probably own both by year's end,

I decided on getting the Peavey first ... frees up money so that I could put a Gibson SG on layaway today. Smile

[Image: 2dvtrg7.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-04-2016, 04:22 PM
(14-04-2016 04:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 10:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I'm getting back into electric after five years' acoustic -only, with a view to being in a band by year's end, hence 40 watts in a head/cab configuration -- my bum hip makes a gigging combo not a good choice.

I decided on getting the Peavey first ... frees up money so that I could put a Gibson SG on layaway today. Smile

The first electric guitar I ever had when I was taking lessons as a kid was a Gibson Les Paul Jr. with an SG body. It looked just like the one in your photo (same color and everything). It was a nice instrument.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
14-04-2016, 04:41 PM
(14-04-2016 04:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 10:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I'm getting back into electric after five years' acoustic -only, with a view to being in a band by year's end, hence 40 watts in a head/cab configuration -- my bum hip makes a gigging combo not a good choice.

I always fancied one... You can get quite a convincing trem effect by shaking them, because the neck pocket is quite thin. Just don't do it too much, or it might break!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
14-04-2016, 04:42 PM
(14-04-2016 04:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 04:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I decided on getting the Peavey first ... frees up money so that I could put a Gibson SG on layaway today. Smile

The first electric guitar I ever had when I was taking lessons as a kid was a Gibson Les Paul Jr. with an SG body. It looked just like the one in your photo (same color and everything). It was a nice instrument.

Like this...?

[Image: 1962%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20SG%20Junior%20TT.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
14-04-2016, 07:26 PM
(14-04-2016 04:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 04:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I decided on getting the Peavey first ... frees up money so that I could put a Gibson SG on layaway today. Smile

I always fancied one... You can get quite a convincing trem effect by shaking them, because the neck pocket is quite thin. Just don't do it too much, or it might break!

Nah, I get my shimmer from my fingers. On my old SGs (one Gibby, one Epi), I would sometimes push the neck for the detuning effect, but it's never something I did much and had no problems with it.
14-04-2016, 07:48 PM
(14-04-2016 07:26 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 04:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  I always fancied one... You can get quite a convincing trem effect by shaking them, because the neck pocket is quite thin. Just don't do it too much, or it might break!

Nah, I get my shimmer from my fingers. On my old SGs (one Gibby, one Epi), I would sometimes push the neck for the detuning effect, but it's never something I did much and had no problems with it.

Its not really healthy to bend your guitar in half... Although it sounds pretty cool.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]