How do you stay logical with your hobbies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2014, 10:17 PM
How do you stay logical with your hobbies?
I have a wide collection of things that interest me. It started with coins. I collected every kind of exotic coin I could lay my hands on. None of them are particularly valuable, but they are all interesting.

Then upon reaching adulthood and getting some real income, I started into guns. I buy old guns and refurbish/resale them. I am always browsing the web and going to gun stores just to see what is pretty. I know the inventory as well as the guy behind the counter!

Then came knives. I have several very nice items there. Kitchen cutlery and handmade hunting blades. I have a different pocket knife for every occasion. I read about the making, sharpening, and metallurgy.

Then came the technology bug. I got into audio tech first and began listening to different headphones and playing with EQ settings and really jamming out.

Then it was bows. I found my grandfather's old compound bow in the basement and spent a couple months fixing it back up and learning to tune it and make strings for it and everything. Now I am going to the archery shop and shooting the new bows out there.

It is like a sickness. In every other aspect of my life, I try to be practical and get the most bang for my hard earned bucks. But, when it comes to my hobbies, I just cant help but turn into a gigantic kid again. I think that I am perfectly happy with what I have and then I see a beautiful custom twist steel knife or I hear a song that really sounds great and I have got to buy the album........

Now I have been really enjoying artwork. Pencil sketches or old advertising pieces are my current favorite. I have purchased several interesting works from local college kids.

Everything has to be different or unusual for me. I don't want the usual run of the mill crap that everyone else has. If it is unique or quirky I love it. I buy one decent utilitarian item that I know will do the job. And then, it is play time. I am constantly buying and selling and tinkering. I have somehow managed to avoid taking a huge loss on things. As a finance guy, I am very particular with my money. But, it takes all my willpower.

I guess it could be worse. I could be a total stiff and not be interested in anything. That would be sad. But why must I fall in love with my toys? It is like sex. If one partner feels good......you know you want to see what the others have to offer!

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 10:32 PM
RE: How do you stay logical with your hobbies?
You're talking to a crazy jewelry-maker

[Image: 7ecd96087980d2c47ea4cccd53c63b31_zps8d307e14.jpg]

[Image: 419a0f72040d4e1c84c1b5cb5b4dcf97_zps83b59165.jpg]

[Image: b8046e3cabf34d24ed07a2cef6e12e1f_zpscc60f774.jpg]

[Image: 5e2e81e75b0fc40b81696bbbe3cd50b6_zpsc83a1593.jpg]

[Image: 47bdbc257a7a90bef0f351312a62ab2f_zpsa380659d.jpg]

[Image: 48788787-D63D-4B3C-9599-5B6374B867CE_zpsazmbc79g.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
23-01-2014, 10:57 PM
I say don't reign it in. Embrace it.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
23-01-2014, 10:57 PM
I have a ton of cool Tolkien stuff. Screw "moderation" lol
23-01-2014, 11:43 PM
(23-01-2014 10:32 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You're talking to a crazy jewelry-maker

I like those! Cool talent.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
23-01-2014, 11:46 PM
(23-01-2014 10:57 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have a ton of cool Tolkien stuff. Screw "moderation" lol

Oh yea, I have all the books (in hardback!) and movies. Big fan. Nobody spins a deeper tale than good old JR.

23-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Going based solely on the thread title; I stay logical with my hobbies by picking those which have the most real world use to me. Anything from construction (handyman/reno) to playing musical instruments (both artistic outlet and chick magnet).

I used to collect stamps, coins, comics, cards. I still have those, but they sure haven't done anything for me.
24-01-2014, 12:00 AM
(23-01-2014 11:43 PM)PatThePoltergeist Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 10:32 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You're talking to a crazy jewelry-maker

I like those! Cool talent.
I sell my hobby and bring awarness about the B3A (Blind Art Asociation of America) to the masses
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 10:22 AM
I only "do" eating on M-W-F's.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I was glad to hear that you said you sell some of it, I was starting to wonder if we might see you on an episode of Hoarders.

which maybe there is a link….many of the people on that show attach some sort of emotion to the 'stuff' which is why they find it difficult to get rid of. Some get a rush from the purchase of something (which I think there are studies on this and endorphins). Some people use the 'stuff' so they don't have to deal with the real problems in life (loneliness, focus on hobby to avoid family, relationships)

I think its good to have hobbies and interests, just be sure they aren't controlling your life in a negative way.

do a mental checklist, are you using the hobby to substitute for something else that you need to be dealing with, or is it simply a hobby of interest?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller