How do you stay logical with your hobbies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 10:44 AM
RE: How do you stay logical with your hobbies?
also, have you looked into Steampunk? Maker Faire? I bet you would enjoy it and there's a whole following behind it to make it a social event as well.

this vid starts out weird, but then there are some clips with people explaining what they do.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm into coins, guns, and knives. Why not? Lot of history to those things. Embrace it, it's what makes you interesting.

Atir aissom atir imon
24-01-2014, 01:17 PM
At various times, and with varying levels of sanity, I've been into coins, books, watches, clocks, fountain pens, guns, knives.

On occasion, I've spent more time and/or money on a hobby than was reasonable.
I try for a little balance - everything in moderation, including moderation. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 10:37 PM
(24-01-2014 10:36 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I was glad to hear that you said you sell some of it, I was starting to wonder if we might see you on an episode of Hoarders.

which maybe there is a linkā€¦.many of the people on that show attach some sort of emotion to the 'stuff' which is why they find it difficult to get rid of. Some get a rush from the purchase of something (which I think there are studies on this and endorphins). Some people use the 'stuff' so they don't have to deal with the real problems in life (loneliness, focus on hobby to avoid family, relationships)

I think its good to have hobbies and interests, just be sure they aren't controlling your life in a negative way.

do a mental checklist, are you using the hobby to substitute for something else that you need to be dealing with, or is it simply a hobby of interest?

I actually end up selling or trading most of it. An item is acquired and played with until something else catches my eye. I only keep the ones that I can't find a better replacement for. That has helped me to find some really useful things over the years.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
24-01-2014, 10:46 PM
(24-01-2014 10:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  also, have you looked into Steampunk? Maker Faire? I bet you would enjoy it and there's a whole following behind it to make it a social event as well.

this vid starts out weird, but then there are some clips with people explaining what they do.

You nailed it. I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for this.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
[+] 1 user Likes PatThePoltergeist's post
24-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Sad I haven't any hobbies. Consider

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-01-2014, 11:50 PM
(24-01-2014 11:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sad I haven't any hobbies. Consider

Me neither moms. I tried rocks, and coins, just never cared enough to keep up with either. I wonder if it's a brain chemistry thing. If it is, I do t got it No

I suppose you could say my hobby is movies? I watch a lot, and love doing it, but I don't get into the details of each movie, like the behind the scenes stuff..... So maybe not.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
25-01-2014, 12:29 AM
I used to have entirely too many collections in the house: Canadian pennies, semi-precious stones, toy penguins, dragons, books, musical instruments. I also over-committed to other hobbies: Trying to take violin lessons and clarinet lessons at the same time; painting; sewing; writing (6 straight NaNoWriMo wins, for a total of 300,000+ words in 6 Novembers).

Everything changed when I realized 2 things:
  1. I felt anxious, even a bit nauseous, when sitting in a room surrounded by all that Stuff and all those unfinished projects.
  2. If I ever wanted to get good at anything, I had to choose something and take it to a higher level.
I went on a mad uncluttering spree, donating everything that wasn't being read, played, or played with. Signed up to play clarinet in a concert band and discovered that I absolutely loved it. Dropped the violin lessons but hung onto the violin. Tried to hang onto the writing, but in the end it fell into the background (no need to write new pieces when I have old ones to edit, anyway). Discontinued a couple of collections or shrank them down to a few special pieces, getting rid of the mediocre ones. All in all, I gave away at least half of My possessions over about a year.

This is all very much a work in progress, mind you, and I occasionally still get caught in the gravitational fields of music stores, but overall I think I'm on the right track.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
25-01-2014, 12:36 AM
(24-01-2014 11:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sad I haven't any hobbies. Consider

Me neither moms. I tried rocks, and coins, just never cared enough to keep up with either. I wonder if it's a brain chemistry thing. If it is, I do t got it No

I suppose you could say my hobby is movies? I watch a lot, and love doing it, but I don't get into the details of each movie, like the behind the scenes stuff..... So maybe not.

At first I was going to say music, but really that was more about wanting something to do...hang out with friends and go to a concert. It was more social than a hobby.

Makes me want to take up knitting (again) just so I can say...yeah I have a hobby. Pathetic no?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

26-01-2014, 08:16 PM
(25-01-2014 12:36 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Me neither moms. I tried rocks, and coins, just never cared enough to keep up with either. I wonder if it's a brain chemistry thing. If it is, I do t got it No

At first I was going to say music, but really that was more about wanting something to do...hang out with friends and go to a concert. It was more social than a hobby.

Makes me want to take up knitting (again) just so I can say...yeah I have a hobby. Pathetic no?

I think this is what has me questioning myself. Most of the things I do are solo activities. Sure, they have a social standing on the net. But I don't really get to meet many folks offline.

I have pretty much acquired the best firearms for every use I have. And its not exactly as simple as saying "I'm into guns!" with the current climate. So I have dropped off all but one small project there.

Knives are still socially accepted for men in my area. But there is only so much you can do with a sharp hunk of steel.

Music, film, and literature are all things I enjoy. But, I live in WV. We either need to drive for hours, pay for a show and a room, and then drive back before work starts again. Or, we wait months for anything worth watching to come along. And even then it is usually B-list names.

And, every time I go to an outdoorsman themed event, I am met with the usual. Backwoods, bucktoothed, bible thumping, god fearing, Obama shooting, red necked, mediocre and proud of it idiots who just want to stand around and bitch about everyone who isn't exactly like them. Hobo

I have considered trying to meet up with a local atheist group for a social outlet. But I wouldn't consider that a hobby.