How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
28-09-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: How do you tell if something is designed by an intellect or not?
Hey Blowjob - long time, no face palm, man. Shy

Quote:Now given that we have no experience with lineages of life coming into existence naturally, and quite soon to be plenty of experience of lineages of life coming into existence with the aid of and designed by intellects, what basis do atheists have to conclude our lineages of life came into being naturally?
Seriously, man? Undecided

Since I'm not trying to tell you what to do in your own house ... just letting you know ... jacking off in public is kind of strange.

But hey... carry on. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
28-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Heywood is the proof that there is no intelligent design on life. I mean, how could an intelligent designer create someone so inherently stupid? Laughat (rethorical question, don't answer that)
[+] 4 users Like LastPoet's post
28-09-2014, 12:03 PM
(28-09-2014 08:30 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 07:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Nonsense Chas......We most certainly do observe these features coming into existence.

Really? When's the last time you saw a canyon being formed? Or a river? Or a mountain?

I feel like I am being trolled here.....are you serious?
28-09-2014, 12:08 PM
(28-09-2014 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 07:36 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Nonsense Chas......We most certainly do observe these features coming into existence.

So then, you can't define what a "lineage of life" is.
That's what I thought. Weeping

a lineage of life is a complete set of all the things which live or have lived that share a common ancestor.
28-09-2014, 12:29 PM
(28-09-2014 12:03 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 08:30 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Really? When's the last time you saw a canyon being formed? Or a river? Or a mountain?

I feel like I am being trolled here.....are you serious?

If you are, then so am I.
You said we observe these features coming into existence, yet I've never heard of anyone observing so much as a river forming naturally.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
28-09-2014, 12:43 PM
(28-09-2014 12:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So then, you can't define what a "lineage of life" is.

a lineage of life is a complete set of all the things which live or have lived that share a common ancestor.

While you may have a different opinion than me as to the origin of man, mysteries of the universe, etc...I find your rebuttals as a theist a bit refreshing. You don't just parrot believer language, or faith-based ''answers.'' So many of these debates between theists and atheists end up with theists 'preaching' instead of informing, or rebutting. So, fwiw...I appreciate you at least not patronizing us with faith based 'canned' replies. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
29-09-2014, 09:46 AM
(28-09-2014 12:43 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 12:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  a lineage of life is a complete set of all the things which live or have lived that share a common ancestor.

While you may have a different opinion than me as to the origin of man, mysteries of the universe, etc...I find your rebuttals as a theist a bit refreshing. You don't just parrot believer language, or faith-based ''answers.'' So many of these debates between theists and atheists end up with theists 'preaching' instead of informing, or rebutting. So, fwiw...I appreciate you at least not patronizing us with faith based 'canned' replies. Cool

Thanks Deidre,

I try to argue from a position devoid of religion. I also try to come up with new a novel arguments and then use you guys to examine them in detail.
29-09-2014, 09:57 AM
(28-09-2014 12:29 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 12:03 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I feel like I am being trolled here.....are you serious?

If you are, then so am I.
You said we observe these features coming into existence, yet I've never heard of anyone observing so much as a river forming naturally.

Take a body of water. Add more water to it so it overflows its banks, you will observe a river form.

There are lots of observations of new islands coming into existence. We can make observations of mountains growing and the spreading of the sea floor. We observe rivers in the act of carving valleys. Look at the Colorado river...the reason it is muddy is because craving a valley increases the amount of sediment contained in a river.
29-09-2014, 10:03 AM
(28-09-2014 06:45 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I do think you can make a good argument that Venter did not actually create a new lineage of life because the components he manufactured were nearly 1:1 copies components which exist in nature....but it is very hard to deny that Venter has proved in principle that intellects can create life.

I disagree, but for the sake of discussion, let's just say you're right about that. So what? Please explain how you get from point A to point B, those being:

Point A: There are some examples of life being created by intellect.
Point B: Therefore, all life is only created by intellect.

Because the way I see it, life happens when the right elements combine under the right conditions, be that naturally or unnaturally. Life probably can be created by intellect (unnaturally) once we know all the details, but it also can be created naturally and science is very close to explaining exactly how humans came into existence precisely that way.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
29-09-2014, 10:25 AM
(28-09-2014 12:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-09-2014 08:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So then, you can't define what a "lineage of life" is.

Care to reference that in a real scientific text ?
Take your time.

(How is it no one else here ever heard that phrase ?)
So now you're saying that ID implies more than one "lineage of life" was designed ? Laughat

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.